Single stage press recommendations - Page 2

Single stage press recommendations

This is a discussion on Single stage press recommendations within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Yup. Being precise is what precision loading is all about. :-) Sent from Tapatalk...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Single stage press recommendations

Yup. Being precise is what precision loading is all about. :-)

Sent from Tapatalk
    Last edited by straightshooter1; 05-02-2019 at 08:02 AM.
    patkelly4370 likes this.

RCBS Rock Chucker has suited my needs very well and will continue to use it.

For shotshell a Mec 600 Jr. is a reasonably good one.
    patkelly4370 likes this.
    In adversity remember to keep an even mind, train hard and fight easy.
    Horace/Alexander Suvoro

Bought a Lyman press from an ebay store called lymanbargainden was the best deal I could find at the time. I tend to like a bit better than my fathers old RCBS Rock Chucker.
    patkelly4370 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I use a 1970's era Rock Chucker to do all of my hand gun loading. I use this press for the "dirty work" for my long guns. For the seating operation, I use a M.E.C Metalic press that gives me a +/- .001 run out. I've looked at replacing the "Chucker" several times but can't justify parting with it.
    patkelly4370 likes this.

I use a even older Texan 7 position turret press with cheap Lee dies for everything. I have no issues with using this for precision. Ar's are just under .5 and bolt is around .25 with a run out that doesn't exist.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    patkelly4370 likes this.

My goal (old dog/new tricks) is 1,000 yards with a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creedmore.
    I'm sure the rifle with factory ammo is capable. I have to learn how to utilize the equipment.
    Reloading would be to shrink the groups if I should max out factory ammo.
    Plus I enjoy reloading.
    Thanks for all the knowledgeable suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    My goal (old dog/new tricks) is 1,000 yards with a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creedmore.
    I'm sure the rifle with factory ammo is capable. I have to learn how to utilize the equipment.
    Reloading would be to shrink the groups if I should max out factory ammo.
    Plus I enjoy reloading.
    Your 6.5 CM RPR should do fine out to 1000 yds factory ammo, particularly if you're just shooting steel. Otherwise, i guess it really depends on your own expectations.

When I got my RPR I went straight to reloading. Factory ammo did OK, but I was after something much better the 3/4 MOA that FGMM can and did give me, and . . . I figured I needed smaller groups to help me better evaluate and know whether I was having an issue with the gun or if it was just me and my poor "utilization" of the equipment. After all, with factory equipment one can have a really hard time figuring out if know one got a lemon or a diamond in the rough.
    patkelly4370 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    Recently moved to rural AZ and now have space to shoot longer distances
    I have been reloading for a few years now on a Lee turret press.
    Yes, it does have single stage capability.
    But is there a recommended press that would be more appropriate for tailoring cartridges for distance/precision shooting?
    Well, I just happened to come across this comparison of 14 presses and thought I'd share it here (though it may be too late to be of any help to you now).

https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/04...tage-shootout/

The handle of the coax sits pretty high on the reloading table, after about a half hour of reloading my wore out right shoulder just hurt too much. The rock chucker sits much lower and the arc of the handle isn't as much as the co ax. With the Hornady lock and load bushing conversion, changing dies is just as fast as the co ax.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

USAF 1966-1970, SEA 69-70

The height of the CoAx hasn't been a problem for me in any way. Though, I do typically grab the handle well below the plastic covered part, except when I might need extra leverage. But, I can see where the height might be an issue like that depending on the height of the workbench and/or one's own relative height.

When I first got the CoAx I didn't think I'd be using the priming tool part of it. As it turns out, I really like using it as it's actually faster for me than using a hand tool and I get very consistent seating with it without having to think about it . . . AND, I found I can adjust the seating as I might need by using shims accordingly. BTW: the speed I get for that comes from the location on my bench that it's set up on (the corner) where I can feed and operate in from the back side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads