212 gr. ELD X in 300 Win Mag

This is a discussion on 212 gr. ELD X in 300 Win Mag within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Good day all! After several test loads I have finally found my optimal load for lead free (BS California laws). I'm managing sub 1/2" groups ...

Good day all!

After several test loads I have finally found my optimal load for lead free (BS California laws). I'm managing sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards and consistent grouping out to 500. I'm now moving on to jacketed 212 gr. ELD X for the range and out of state hunting. This morning I loaded up 20 rounds in 0.2 grain increments to ladder test for FPS evaluations before loading 5 round test groups for grouping, velocity and SD/ES.

The issue I have is I wanted to load the rounds to a starting point of 0.04" off the lands at the ogive but they would have been way to long for the magazine so I had to seat them to 0.1" off the lands. Quite a big difference but that's what will fit in the magazine! I've read that the ELD X aren't overly sensitive to longer jumps but I would really like to shorten it as much as possible. I already know that I loaded them longer than factory which has reduced the amount of jump right out of the gate, and I also know that in order squeeze every bit of accuracy and consistency out of the rounds the seating depth should be adjusted in and out until the sweet spot is found. My question then is, can the polymer tips be filed down slightly to allow a longer seating depth or what about just pulling the tip completely out? Will the impact to accuracy be too detrimental? I should say that I use the rifle for hunting, not BR competitions so it's not critical that I shoot the 1/2" groups, I just like to!

I've even disassembled the magazine and measured it with calipers, the internal measurement is 3.480" which is still too short, the COAL using the 212 gr ELD X to the lands is 3.588". Looking at the rifle, I think I can file the rear magazine guide slightly and bend the back wall out to allow longer rounds to fit, but is all that worth it??? For sake of discussion, I shot factory 200 gr. ELD X and it grouped well at 100 yards but I didn't take it out beyond that.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice!

Dave
    Last edited by drossman76; 08-26-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drossman76 View Post
    Good day all!

After several test loads I have finally found my optimal load for lead free (BS California laws). I'm managing sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards and consistent grouping out to 500. I'm now moving on to jacketed 212 gr. ELD X for the range and out of state hunting. This morning I loaded up 20 rounds in 0.2 grain increments to ladder test for FPS evaluations before loading 5 round test groups for grouping, velocity and SD/ES.

The issue I have is I wanted to load the rounds to a starting point of 0.04" off the lands at the ogive but they would have been way to long for the magazine so I had to seat them to 0.1" off the lands. Quite a big difference but that's what will fit in the magazine! I've read that the ELD X aren't overly sensitive to longer jumps but I would really like to shorten it as much as possible. I already know that I loaded them longer than factory which has reduced the amount of jump right out of the gate, and I also know that in order squeeze every bit of accuracy and consistency out of the rounds the seating depth should be adjusted in and out until the sweet spot is found. My question then is, can the polymer tips be filed down slightly to allow a longer seating depth or what about just pulling the tip completely out? Will the impact to accuracy be too detrimental? I should say that I use the rifle for hunting, not BR competitions so it's not critical that I shoot the 1/2" groups, I just like to!

I've even disassembled the magazine and measured it with calipers, the internal measurement is 3.480" which is still too short, the COAL using the 212 gr ELD X to the lands is 3.588". Looking at the rifle, I think I can file the rear magazine guide slightly and bend the back wall out to allow longer rounds to fit, but is all that worth it??? For sake of discussion, I shot factory 200 gr. ELD X and it grouped well at 100 yards but I didn't take it out beyond that.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice!

Dave
    AHH the joy of factory barrels. Not sure which brand rifle you're using but my experience with my Rem 700P in 308Win was virtually the same regarding the length of the throat on the barrel. Long throats in factory barrels seem to be contributions by the legal community to our sport. Apparently leaving a void between the ogive and the lands provides a safety cushion against excessive pressure, hence having to load long to get to the lands. I got my factory 700P sub .5MOA all day long the problem was that I had to single load the rounds which got old in a big hurry. I never considered trimming the meplats on the rounds to shorten them up to fit in the mag. I was using 175 SMK's. I backed them in so they just fit into the magazine and while I did lose a about .25moa. I shot out that barrel and now that rifle is a 6.5CM instead of a .308win and I had the barrel cut to 140Berger hybrid factory length. reality was that it didn't make enough of a difference at 1000yds for me.

Now your case, I don't know that changing the tip profile substantially enough to fit in your mag will not substantially change your ballistic coefficient.. You might not see a difference at 100, but at 1000+ you very well might. If you have a range with steel targets at 100 yard increments out to 1000, you could test it yourself and see what happens. It seems that the most severe differences in BC will make themselves most evident at the back end of the rounds effective range. That said you should see a change at 1000 with a 300WM if there is one. If you lower the BC that means that you will most likely lose some elevation and maybe accuracy.

You might want to check with the manufacturer to see what speed that bullet needs be going to expand properly on impact with the kind to game you are going after. If just for the sake of discussion your bullet needs 1800FPS to do its job on an elk, that has an implication on how far down on your range card you can go and still get the bullet performance for an ethical kill. I'm just guessing but if your bullet only stays above 1800fps inside 700 yards, that is your effective range for your bullet and you don't need to be doing bug holes to drop an elk at that range, worst case scenario is that you have a 1MOA rifle setup and you're spot on with your part your cone of inaccuracy can 7" away from your point of aim. With elk sized game, the vitals are a pretty big target.
    Last edited by Martino1; 08-26-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martino1 View Post
    AHH the joy of factory barrels. Not sure which brand rifle you're using but my experience with my Rem 700P in 308Win was virtually the same regarding the length of the throat on the barrel. Long throats in factory barrels seem to be contributions by the legal community to our sport. Apparently leaving a void between the ogive and the lands provides a safety cushion against excessive pressure, hence having to load long to get to the lands. I got my factory 700P sub .5MOA all day long the problem was that I had to single load the rounds which got old in a big hurry. I never considered trimming the meplats on the rounds to shorten them up to fit in the mag. I was using 175 SMK's. I backed them in so they just fit into the magazine and while I did lose a about .25moa. I shot out that barrel and now that rifle is a 6.5CM instead of a .308win and I had the barrel cut to 140Berger hybrid factory length. reality was that it didn't make enough of a difference at 1000yds for me.

Now your case, I don't know that changing the tip profile substantially enough to fit in your mag will not substantially change your ballistic coefficient.. You might not see a difference at 100, but at 1000+ you very well might. If you have a range with steel targets at 100 yard increments out to 1000, you could test it yourself and see what happens. It seems that the most severe differences in BC will make themselves most evident at the back end of the rounds effective range. That said you should see a change at 1000 with a 300WM if there is one. If you lower the BC that means that you will most likely lose some elevation and maybe accuracy.

You might want to check with the manufacturer to see what speed that bullet needs be going to expand properly on impact with the kind to game you are going after. If just for the sake of discussion your bullet needs 1800FPS to do its job on an elk, that has an implication on how far down on your range card you can go and still get the bullet performance for an ethical kill. I'm just guessing but if your bullet only stays above 1800fps inside 700 yards, that is your effective range for your bullet and you don't need to be doing bug holes to drop an elk at that range, worst case scenario is that you have a 1MOA rifle setup and you're spot on with your part your cone of inaccuracy can 7" away from your point of aim. With elk sized game, the vitals are a pretty big target.
    Thanks for the prompt reply! I am a member at a range with steels out to 900 yards, I'll work my ladder test up with the seating depth I loaded this morning and then do some additional tests. I'm aware of the minimum velocity rule for expansion, the lead free limited me to about 525 yards (this is why I'm not working up the ELD X loads). I'd like to be able to extend that to at least 750, but ballistics will be the final judge of that. As for the rifle I'm shooting, I have the new Savage High Country. I'm sure it'll take me quite some time to shoot the barrel out so I'm going to be stuck with the factory throat for now. Hopefully I'll get good results with loading to the maximum magazine length, since like you, I don't really want to load rounds one at a time, especially if a follow up shot will prove necessary.

Thanks again for the reply, I'll head to the range Friday to look for my speed node so I can so further testing.

Dave

Ads