Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Homemade annealing setup

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Bewerystill 
#1 · (Edited)
I put this together in an evening. I’ve dialed it in to successfully anneal my LC 223 brass in 3.6 seconds. The time is determine by observing the exact moment the Tempilaq melts and becomes translucent. The coil I formed myself but the rest was Amazon. I’m using a 24V 15A supply. It draws about 10A while annealing this brass. Idle current is about 6.8A. No need for water cooling for my use case. The PCB stays very cool. Achieving the proper coil inductance is key. You can’t just use any arbitrary coil size/count. Switching frequency measured out to around 120 kHz with this coil.

As a point of reference the brass at only 8 seconds is glowing red hot. For my volume this setup will work fine at a far less cost than any of the off the shelf induction setups.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
This one is worth the little investment. Salt bath annealing is for real the best and cheapest for the economy minded shooter. It holds a constant annealing temp unlike any of the other methods that I have seen. flame annealing can overcook your brass no matter how expert you feel you are. There is such a narrow threshold between and ruined annealing, the low price of salt bath annealing is a small price to pay Watch salt bath annealing on You tube. I started with the basic setup as shown in my pics, and then built an inexpensive temp pic controller with E Bay parts. I get a constant digital readout of the set temp and the actual temp. Sort of like digital templac. Look into it. I don't know why I didn't know about this years ago. I anneal my 6.5 Creedmoor bras at least every other firing because it is so fast and easy and just about totally eliminates springback error in sizing.
Machine Gas Vehicle Engine

The pic shows my original set up with just the digital thermometer. I put it in an old grill for safety because of the hot salt (500c). It only takes 6 seconds per round. Try it, you'll like it. Just one more toy for the arsenal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.