150gr. Sub-sonic loads for .300 blackout

This is a discussion on 150gr. Sub-sonic loads for .300 blackout within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am currently working on a subsonic load for a 300 blackout. AR platform, 8" Wilson Combat barrel, standard gas port size and gas block, ...

I am currently working on a subsonic load for a 300 blackout. AR platform, 8" Wilson Combat barrel, standard gas port size and gas block, obviously pistol lenght gas system, 1-7" twist. I am attempting to work up loads using 150gr. Hornady fmj-bt, since they are relatively inexpensive. These will be plinking rounds only. I have been using IMR-4227, which shot fairly well, functioned well (with Silencerco Hybrid 46), but I was getting a good amount of unburned powder in the receiver/bolt. I have Lil' Gun and Accurate 1680 on hand, and will start working from the minimum advertised charge and go down in .5 gr increments. If anyone has a similar load/experience with this setup or end goal, please give me some direction. Thanks!

I use 208 gr A-max in front of 8,6 gr Vihtavuori N110.

Most accurate from a 16" barrel with 8" twist.

Sendt fra min ONEPLUS A5000 med Tapatalk

I use 1680 for subs in 300bo, but i use a 220gr bullet. I am not sure how it would work with the 150's, but maybe it will work. I would do all of your load development without the can attached and when you reach a consistent 1050 fps and are sure that the bullets are not keyholeing, then you can put your can back on.

I have a 10" AR and I was quite disappointed with how loud even the subs are. It is just difficult to get an AR platform quiet. The single shot break action or bolt action are much quieter.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    I use 1680 for subs in 300bo, but i use a 220gr bullet. I am not sure how it would work with the 150's, but maybe it will work. I would do all of your load development without the can attached and when you reach a consistent 1050 fps and are sure that the bullets are not keyholeing, then you can put your can back on.

I have a 10" AR and I was quite disappointed with how loud even the subs are. It is just difficult to get an AR platform quiet. The single shot break action or bolt action are much quieter.
    I have read a lot of people stating that the 1680 is loud, particularly in the AR platform

ddd oo7, what 220gr bullets are you loading? Just curious, as my only reason for the 150's is that they are inexpensive

220 matchkings. Certainly not 150 gr cheap, but not Berger expensive either.
    Last edited by ddd oo7; 02-25-2020 at 08:35 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Hodgdon Trail Boss may be just the right choise:

300AAC 150 gr TrailBoss.jpg

You can start with the described load from Hodgdon and work up to 1050fps.
    I have done so in 308Winchester and also 223REM, worked just fine. But I did not try all the way down to Sub velocity in these.

Description from IMR/Hodgdon can be found online, as a PDF file:

Hodgdon Powder Company IMR® TRAIL BOSS® REDUCED LOADS FOR RIFLE AND PISTOL

Many say: Do NOT Compress Trail Boss powder ! It is dangerous.
    Last edited by HMR man; 02-27-2020 at 12:15 AM. Reason: corrections, relocated statement

Somehow I can't post a link to the Hodgdon PDF yet, but you can search online and find it.

The PDF describes how to start with a suitable load for your pistol/rifle cartridge.

You can go to the Hodgdon website, under Products > Smokeless Powder, scroll down to Trail Boss.
    And there you can choose either pistol or rifle, cartridge and the bullet weight, and you will see what charge to start with.
    Usually there is a max and min charge displayed.
    Last edited by HMR man; 02-27-2020 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks guys!

With subs, don’t work UP. Start well above subsonic and work down to 1050 with a chronograph. If you don’t have a chronograph, then this is not something to play with until you do.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Ads