Remington question

Remington question

This is a discussion on Remington question within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I bought a remington 700 ADL in 30 06 for about $280 new in box. Is this a good starter gun for longrange shooting, as ...

Remington question

I bought a remington 700 ADL in 30 06 for about $280 new in box.

Is this a good starter gun for longrange shooting, as well as a big game gun up to elk.
    Walmart was closing them out so i bought the last one in box before i could research it.

Any knowledge about this rifle would be great to easy my uneasyness

Seeing as you already have a long action, I personally prefer a .30-06. If you wanted to, it could be rebarreled in .308, but I'd keep it .30-06.There are tons of aftermarket parts and accessories for the Rem 700.A good place to start.

Jeff

The rifle is very well suited for hunting, and the 30-06 will take pretty much any animal in North America. Long range shooting? Well, you would be better suited with a heavy barrel, this you can have done down the road, along with having some action work done and a better stock.

You shouldn't feel any buyers remorse over your purchase, At that price I would have bought two or three, too bad it was their last one.

Rigger
    I hate to be the cruel hand of reality slapping you across the face but, someone has to do it.

Life's hard, buy a helmet. You're not going to get coddled around here so get over it.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

you did fine. Remington makes the parts on that rifle on CNC equipment.
    as for 308 vs 30 06, i think that is a waste of time comparing the 2. They both shoot 30 caliber bullets, and the 308 is roughly 10% less than the 06 in speed and energy. I actually have owned 308's that LOVED 150 grain bullets. It just shot circles around the usual 168gr used in most 308's. Don't be afraid to try different ammo. with a good trigger, and GOOD OPTICS, you should easily find ammo that shoots 1" MOA, or better. With the price you paid, your way ahead of the game. Put some quality rings and bases on it, then look for a scope. If it were me I would look for a used Leupold variable. I don't know the terrain your hunting, but a 3 x 9 is hard to beat.

Keep us posted!

Well i am getting happier and happier by the post. I would go back for the last 06 but it was a display and the barrel near the chamber was discolored a brownish color they also had a 270 in the same model but it was even more discolored. I got the only sealed box they had...

Talk them down on the discolored one and use that one to rebarrel with a good 22-24" varmint/tactical barrel and make a shooter out of it. Save the one you got with the good sporter barrel for a hunting gun. Just my .02. You got a helluva deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Quikstryke
    Well i am getting happier and happier by the post. I would go back for the last 06 but it was a display and the barrel near the chamber was discolored a brownish color they also had a 270 in the same model but it was even more discolored. I got the only sealed box they had...
    Are you nuts? Go back there first thing in the morning and buy up whatever they have, Wally World always knocks 10% off their displays, you just have to ask. And discoloring? Who cares, It's not like It's pitted with rust. Even if you don't need another rifle (as if you could ever have enough :wink: ) I'm sure you would have no problem selling one if you really didn't need it.

Rigger
    I hate to be the cruel hand of reality slapping you across the face but, someone has to do it.

Life's hard, buy a helmet. You're not going to get coddled around here so get over it.

Hidden Content

Ads