Romak-3 PSL 54C report

Romak-3 PSL 54C report

This is a discussion on Romak-3 PSL 54C report within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I acquired this rifle recently out of pure curiosity. Since the new wars and media coverage, it's an image seen more often on TV and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Romak-3 PSL 54C report

I acquired this rifle recently out of pure curiosity. Since the new wars and media coverage, it's an image seen more often on TV and gun forums. Dragunov.net has a large collection of pictures from all over the world involving SVD guns and its variants. After extensive research I realized I shouldn't get my hopes up too high as far as accuracy goes. We are all wise enough here to know word "sniper" should NOT be associated with this rifle. I worked hard for a better part of the year and haven't shot much or bought any new guns so what the heck, I can spend few bucks on my self.

I tried to avoid the kit guns so I went straight for the new production CAI import from Romania and this is the one called PSL 54C. After first trip to the range I noticed the gun could use reinforcement to the side mount, trigger was just horrible and length of pull was unrealistic (too short). I had my friend tig-weld the mound to the receiver which I'm sure firmed up a bit the sheet metal receiver construction. Some drimmel action to the Choate Hungarian AK stock fit very nice and tight without any ugly gaps. Reason why I chose the Choate is because no one makes after market stocks and all the Choate cheek and pull accessories from Ultitmate Sniper/Varmint stocks swap right over! I decided to play with the factory trigger rather than buying an after market unit and I got it pretty smooth at about 4LB. I'm simply not comfortable with anything lighter than 4LB because most of my shooting is done at the range and this is a ratty sheet metal giant AK!

Accuracy is OK, I believe I got a good example of Romak because the gun does solid 2" @ 100yd with 7N1 Sniper Ammo. I hear some guys claim 1 MOA, but I just don't see how that can be happening. Luck?, handloads?.....hey it's only a scoped battle rifle!
    There is an issue however, the gun heats up fast after only about 20 rounds and groups shift dramatically.

OK, It's not a precision rifle, but sure is very fun to blasting in the woods and gravel pits. In reality the gun was not made with an intention of being a precision gun so maybe I shouldn't be as hard on it, eh? Current price on one of these is $700 which isn't alot of money for a hight power battle rifle, but if you want something precision, might wanna save few bucks and just go for M1A. Without a doubt, M1A is 3 times the gun!

A lot of guys say Romak looks Cool. Sure it does, but when it comes down to putting rounds on the target, Cool doesn't go a long way.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p107 ... 1198223256

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p107 ... 1198141209

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p107 ... 1198141238

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p107 ... 1198141266

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p107 ... 1198141291

I've got a PSL also, and get about the same accuracy results. The PSL wasn't really intended for the sniper role. It was intended to be a designated marksman rifle, a weapon to extend the range of a military unit beyond the abilties of an assault rifle, but isn't a surgical device like western sniper rifles. The origionals are full auto. They are sort of the Warsaw Pact's version of the M14 or SR25.

Jeff

I have one also and really love to shoot it. I have only shot about 50 rounds through it but I did enjoy it. Same results pretty much as you guys.

I do hope you know to shoot the smaller grain ammo in it.
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

whbonney26 raises a good point. The heavy grain bullets rattle these rifles apart. Try to stick to 150grain bullets. These rifles use an RPK front trunion block, so they aren't going to have the strength of the Mosin Nagant actions.

Jeff

I just use straight PKM ammo.

I have a Romanian PSL rifle also. Bought it mostly because I always thought they looked really cool. :roll: I put the 8 power illuminated scope on it. tried the Russian 147 gn steel cased ammo first. Got about 3 MOA at 100 yds. Picked up a can of 7N1 ammo and got 2 MOA at 100. Figured I might see what I could do with handloads. Used 155 gn AMAX bullets with IMR 4895. I was able to get 1 MOA as the best grouping after a few different loads were tried. I did find that the groupings would vary with the weather however so I sould probably revisit the load some more. The barrel heat also tends to really open up the groups as well.

Has anyone else noticed a POI shift from these rifles from time to time? seems like I will get a shift every now and then that requires rezeroing the scope. I'm thinking that it is simply the weak scope mount combined with a less than spectacular scope. Although anything I see may also be directly related to me since I'm shooting off a bipod.

I'm also wondering if anyone ever had unintentional double taps out of their PSLs? I find that with my trigger pull technique with this rifle I sometimes get a double shot which is a real eye opener. :shock: I cant tell if there is a problem with the safty sear in it or if it just a bump fire twitch of my finger caused by the recoil. Got me so frustrated that I now load a single round in the mag at a time to be sure it wont happen. ops:

I guess all in all its worth the money. Fun rifle to shoot and it gets alot of looks at the range. 8)

The rifle has a sheet steel receiver, so the idea of torque shifting it sure isn't out of the question. I ended up welding the scope rail in place to solidify mine. I don't think the rivets can take the pounding. As I've said before, it's about as much a sniper weapon as an M14 or FAL, only not quite as accurate.But it's plenty good enough for a DMR.

Jeff

sluggie24 you might have a loose trigger/sear unit.

I have also noticed the POI shift, kinda annoying. I try not to mess with sights even when it heats up, but sometimes when it cools down it doesn't come back to the original POI. I think the scope rail might be bending where the mount clamps on the bottom edge. I noticed alot of this shifting with the 8X scope and its alot heavier than original 4X that comes with the gun.

Truth is, if it didn't heat up and shift groups around, it would be a pretty good rifle.

Hany, How would I know if it is a loose sear problem? I looked at the assembly but could not determine any obvious problems. Is there something I should be looking for? The only way I could think of to remedy the problem was welding extra material onto the safty sear and elongating the catch to have a more positive engagement. I hope I can get it straightened out before one of the LEOs that uses the same range thinks I have an unregistered MG! :roll:

I'm just shooting in dark here, but take off the receiver cover and spring. If you cant see anything wrong, set the hammer by hand and dry fire, see if you spot anything wrong. Maybe it just doesn't hook up good enough. Check side to side play also, that might do it.

While I was researching about the gun since AKs were a bit new to me, I read about this happening. Do an archive search on AKfiles.com, I'm sure you'll run across some specific info.

Have you looked into that Tapco G2 trigger? $40, my friend has it in one of his AKs and tells me it's nice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads