Remington SPS Tactical or Remington SPS Varmint

This is a discussion on Remington SPS Tactical or Remington SPS Varmint within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hey guys I have narrowed down my picks of rifle that I really want. I am looking at the Remington SPS Tactical or Remington SPS ...

Hey guys I have narrowed down my picks of rifle that I really want. I am looking at the Remington SPS Tactical or Remington SPS Varmint.
    I konw that the Tactical has the shorter barrel so I will have less velocity but I will get a nice stock.
    As for the Varmint I know that it has a 26inch barrel so the velocity is nice but the stock is crap.
    Depending on which I choose I would like to get a 10x Super Sniper scope with TPS mount and rings.

I am really just lookng for comments on this set-up and about the two guns

My other question is can I shoot 5.56 out of a .223

hey

What are you going to be using the rifle for.

no you can not shoot 5.56mm in a .223 chamber. But you can shoot .223 in a 5.56mm chamber.

i will be using the rifle for plinking and target shooting

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Flip a coin.

Seriously, your rifle. Just weigh what is more important to you, bbl length, handling, etc. I don't care which you get, the stocks are crap without some work.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

hey

if you going to just use it for plinking and target shooting i would go with the varmint and upgrade it later on.

either one is good, if you plan to spend some money on it later get the varmit, if not get the sps tactical.

with the varmit you can cut the barrel to what you like, it is cheaper. with the tactical you have a little better stock, 20" barrel that most people like better.

Me I am going with a varmit in a .308 adding a take off 700p stock, then when I get the money sending it to tac ops for the tune-up

I used to own both and I would go with the SPS-V. Easier to find and I can chop the barrel down to 22" to maintain accuracy and velocity.

Keep in mind the twist rates too. As I understand the Tactical should have the 1 in 9" twist where you can shoot up to around 69 grains or so. The Varmint will have the 1 in 12" twist and will have to be used with lighter bullets.

I bought a SPS Varmint last Oct. and it is really a great shooter with 52 match Sierras and H335.

Nice stock

I bought a SPS Tactical and it's been great . 20" barrel has not been a problem. The Hogue stock is a flexy piece of junk for tactical shooting IMHO. It was hitting the barrel when I got it. I added clearance and it hit as soon as I added a bi-pod. So I had to add more clearance. I then ended up fiber-glassing the for-end and adding a piece of Aluminum to re-enforce it. I now have a different stock on it and plan on using the Hogue on a hunting gun. Don't use the stock as deciding factor.
    . That's my .02 worth

Ads