pros cons new rifle

pros cons new rifle

This is a discussion on pros cons new rifle within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I was recently given a Remington 597 22LR I use it for plinking and nuking the occasional rabbit. It seems like a decent rifle, I ...

pros cons new rifle

I was recently given a Remington 597 22LR
    I use it for plinking and nuking the occasional rabbit.
    It seems like a decent rifle, I cant think of anything offhand that I dont like about it.

Im wondering if anyone can tell me some of the pros and cons of this rifle, a little history.

Is it generally a good all around 22 or is there anything I should know about it.

It came with a detachable scope, and im considering putting a dovetail sight on it.

Any recommendations as far as sights for a 22LR go or will a dovetail suffice ??

The barrel and action look like flat grey stainless steel ??

Im thinking of getting it flat black powder coated mainly to keep it a little cleaner. pros cons ??

The 597 is an updated version of the 522 Viper, which I own. I have read a lot of posts that say these rifles are inaccurate and prone to FTF/FTE, but I have never experienced either of these with my rifle.

Two major downfalls I see (That have prevented me from actually purchasing one).

1) Lack of available aftermarket parts such as high cap mags.

2) My 522 was less than 10 years old when magazines just simply became unavailable all together... even from the factory. This was so discouraging that I don't want to find myself in that same boat ever again.

A FREE .22 that has apparently already gotten game, and gives you pleasure? I don't see a downside to that.

Jeff

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Shoot it and enjoy it. If it has any downsides they will become apparent as you use the rifle.

Re: pros cons new rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Steelghost
    I was recently given a Remington 597 22LR
    I use it for plinking and nuking the occasional rabbit.
    It seems like a decent rifle, I cant think of anything offhand that I dont like about it.

Im wondering if anyone can tell me some of the pros and cons of this rifle, a little history.

Is it generally a good all around 22 or is there anything I should know about it.

It came with a detachable scope, and im considering putting a dovetail sight on it.

Any recommendations as far as sights for a 22LR go or will a dovetail suffice ??

The barrel and action look like flat grey stainless steel ??

Im thinking of getting it flat black powder coated mainly to keep it a little cleaner. pros cons ??
    I have the same rifle in .22mag and .17HMR and my only complaint is the cheap magazine. I have not yet found a company that makes an aftermarket mag for it. It would nice though. Both of mine are very accurate. Here is a pic of my .22 mag.

JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

I used to own the standard model in .22lr. It was insanely accurate for a semi-auto, but it had horrible feeding and edjecting issues. It's been proven that the magazines are to blame. After I sold the rifle, I found out that "3rd generation" magazines will fix the problem. I had a 1st or 2nd generation mag, So I found out a little late.

Fun rifle, enjoy it. Oh, and FYI, remington is producing 30rnd mags this year, saw them in the 2008 catalog.

dom
    "A rifle is like a human. The stock is the skeleton, the scope is the eyes, the action is the brain, and the barrel is the heart.
    But you, the man behind the rifle, you are the soul."

-"Practice is a worn out snap-cap." -Yours truly

Quote Originally Posted by hypno
    I used to own the standard model in .22lr. It was insanely accurate for a semi-auto, but it had horrible feeding and edjecting issues. It's been proven that the magazines are to blame. After I sold the rifle, I found out that "3rd generation" magazines will fix the problem. I had a 1st or 2nd generation mag, So I found out a little late.

Fun rifle, enjoy it. Oh, and FYI, remington is producing 30rnd mags this year, saw them in the 2008 catalog.

dom
    Well the 30 round mags would be nice. I would just like to get some of the better 8 round mags or maybe even a 10 if they make one. Mine works good if I really take my time and load them. If I dont take my time.....so if im talking and loading at the same time or something they just dont feed as good. Very accurate though.
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

Its unfortunate about the lack of high capacity mags.
    I thought I had found some 50 round mags by ram-line but I just read they are for ruger only.

whbonney26:

Your rifle there does look exactly like mine eccept for one or two points.
    That stock looks the same but its a different color, is it an aftermarket stock or did it come like that ??
    It looks like a powdercoat on yours, is that correct and did you have that done yourself.
    I see one sight just below the scope, Im guessing its set up with a dovetail groove or is there another sight mounted on the barrel.

If those are your modifications its looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelghost
    Its unfortunate about the lack of high capacity mags.
    I thought I had found some 50 round mags by ram-line but I just read they are for ruger only.

whbonney26:

Your rifle there does look exactly like mine eccept for one or two points.
    That stock looks the same but its a different color, is it an aftermarket stock or did it come like that ??
    It looks like a powdercoat on yours, is that correct and did you have that done yourself.
    I see one sight just below the scope, Im guessing its set up with a dovetail groove or is there another sight mounted on the barrel.

If those are your modifications its looking good!

All I did was paint the scok OD Green. I ordered a duplicate from Ebay so I still have a black one. I painted one the color you see. It came with irons which I left on there. I just put the scope on the rifle. Some of the newer models come with a rail already on it.
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

Ads