JB Weaponry 6.5 Grendel build pics

This is a discussion on JB Weaponry 6.5 Grendel build pics within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I know I posted this in the classifieds but I wanted to get some feedback on this build. I am having a hard time not ...

I know I posted this in the classifieds but I wanted to get some feedback on this build. I am having a hard time not keeping this one. It is one of the nicer AR's I have put together in a long time. The 6.5 Grendel cartridge is more interesting to me the more I learn about it. I like that it is AR-10 performance in a AR-15 body. I am not a huge fan in AR's for precision work but this cartridge may change my mind. As soon as this cold weather breaks I am going to put it thru the paces and see how she runs. Anyway enough already on to the pics....

The specs:
    -Doublestar lower receiver with standard trigger and rubberized
    ergo pistol grip (OD)
    -Alexander Arms flat top upper, standard 6.5 bolt/carrier and charging handle
    -AA 16" chrome lined barrel (6.5Grendel) threaded 9/16x24
    -Daniel Defense .750" Low profile gas block (fits under handguard)
    -Enidine recoil buffer
    -Hogue OverMoulded (OD) rifle length free float handguard with swivel stud for bipod
    -A2 Rifle length buttstock with Eagle stock pack
    -Yankee Hill 5" extended picatinny riser mount
    -Falcon Menace 4.5-18 x 56 Tactical scope with BC flip up covers w/ sun shade
    -Leupold QRW steel 30mm scope rings (med)
    -Shooters Ridge bi-pod (6-9" OR 9-13")
    -One AA 10rd magazine

Comments welcome!

John
    Wishing I could shoot more!

Ohh man thats a nice rifle. John, IMO, you build some very nice looking kit. Also, how do the quick release rings handle the recoil??
    Shaun aka "Quick"
    Two Rocks, Western Australia

Precision Rifles:

Remington 700 "F-Class" 7mm08AI, 308 Win, 6x47AI
    Remington 700 "Custom Marksman" .308 Win
    Weatherby Vanguard .223 Rem
    Anschutz 1416D HB .22LR

I never really wanted an ar-15 but then one of my friends went and got one and let me shoot it a little now I find myself looking at specs for them online.

I am really curious about the 6.5 grendel. It seems like a great cartridge that can perform adequately at close range and well at long range. I wish it would be available in stores instead of just online. I also don't (currently) reload so I am not sure its the best round for me.

How does it shoot for you? Is the recoil really 1/2 of a 308? How far have you managed to fire it accurately? Do you find the lack of ammo frustrating? Do you end up shooting it less often?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

thats not a Savage or Stevens

Originally, Alexander Arms was selling two different loads for the Grendel. One was for close range (under 300?) and the other for long range work.The reasoning as put forward by them was that one bullet took longer to settle down than the other but once it did, it stayed more accurate for alonger time than the other did.

Has this changed? If so, is there now one load recommended?

There has been some issue with the Enidine buffers and broken Grendel bolts. Are you using a normal, rifle-length 5.56 buffer or the revalved carbine-length 6.5 buffer from AA?

Other than that, it looks like a great rifle, and I'm sure it'll work well for you. I own 18" and 24" Grendels myself, and I couldn't be more happy with them.

As for the ammo question... 120(ish) grain projectiles seem to work the best in most Grendel barrels. 123gr Lapua Scenar is probably the most widely used in "premium" loads. For cheap plinking, my Grendels really like the newer Wolf 120gr MPT loads (MOA out to 300 yards so far).

AA now sells a bunch of different loads with multiple bullet choices.

As always, YMMV and you should try a variety of loads to see what your Grendel prefers.
    "There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?" - Yuri Orlov

Also, if you're in it for extreme accuracy (or as good as it gets from an AR), make sure you bed the barrel extension and gas block.
    "There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?" - Yuri Orlov

Ads