20 inch vs 26 - Page 2

20 inch vs 26

This is a discussion on 20 inch vs 26 within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I don't own anything that shorter than a 24" simply because I shoot long range. Keep in mind that you can shoot a 26" gun ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 20 inch vs 26

I don't own anything that shorter than a 24" simply because I shoot long range.
    Keep in mind that you can shoot a 26" gun the same ranges a 20" will go but you have the ability to get further out with better results with the longer barrel. If the only concern is being able to move around with a 26" then I would suffer the burden of a 1lb or two more weight and a bunch more capability.

Tim
    Rem700 XCR TLR .308win, Near 25MOA base, Nightforce steel rings x 3, US Optics Anti Cant, Nightforce Co-Sine Indicator,JP Tactical Muzzle Brake, V-Bull Mag System, Jewell HVR Trigger,Versa Pod Bi-Pod, McMillian Saddle Cheekpiece, Anschutz Rail

I have 308s in 22" and 26" and I really like the 22". Any shorter would look weird to me. 22" you can shoot LR accurately and yet its still compact. I have a Remi 870 shotgun with a 28" barrel with a 3" muzzle brake/choke and its so dang long and it ain't funny......but then again thats a shotgun

in a .308 you only need maybe 2 to 3 mintues more to get to 1k with a 18 to 20 barrel than a 26 inch barrel

http://www.sniperschool.com/sniper-rifle-barrel-length/

read that article see if it doesnt help change your mind
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.

-Euripides-
    -------------------------------------------------------

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eric32
    in a .308 you only need maybe 2 to 3 mintues more to get to 1k with a 18 to 20 barrel than a 26 inch barrel

read that article see if it doesn't help change your mind
    Good read but there is not enough information about the ammo used, the conditions ect ect.
    It also varies for each rifle as cutting a 26" barrel to a 18" will drastically change the harmonics.
    Long range accuracy out of a short barrel is not a common thing.

Tim
    Rem700 XCR TLR .308win, Near 25MOA base, Nightforce steel rings x 3, US Optics Anti Cant, Nightforce Co-Sine Indicator,JP Tactical Muzzle Brake, V-Bull Mag System, Jewell HVR Trigger,Versa Pod Bi-Pod, McMillian Saddle Cheekpiece, Anschutz Rail

It may only take another 2-3 minutes, and it may only loose 100 yards ot total range, it may shoot a triffling better. However, taking the position that you (the guy with the shorter barrel) have not lost anything (i.e its all gain) is also incorrect. You have lost a little evevation, a little windage, a little velocity, a little range.

I have nothing against shorter barrels, and in general I see the whole shooting community heading towards using shorter barrels most of the time. However many shooters 'most' ends up being, there are still those applications where the longer barrel still retains an advantage. Its just that the number of these is shrinking.

PALMA at 1000 yards with 155 SMKs (the old ones), and 175 SMKs beyond 1100 yards in 308 is another, any 155 (in 308) beyond 1200 yards is a third.

I term this "the last 100 yards". And for 90% of shooters, shooting 99% of their shots, it is absolutely true that they loose essentialy nothing with the shorter barrel. But this does not make it universally true.

Quote Originally Posted by timoram

read that article see if it doesn't help change your mind
    Good read but there is not enough information about the ammo used, the conditions ect ect.
    It also varies for each rifle as cutting a 26" barrel to a 18" will drastically change the harmonics.
    Long range accuracy out of a short barrel is not a common thing.

Tim

:lol: :lol: :roll:
    ***SPF***

SOLD PENDING FUNDS!

Shooting a .308 out past 800 yards is kind of pushing it beyond it's design limit. I have a Tac-Ops 22" and a 20" inch. I prefer the shorter as it is easier to deploy quickly and to hump through brush and other flora. Just go with the 20" and you will not be disappointed. If you want to shooter further, get a .300 WM as it will better serve you.
    Professionals that demand nothing less than the best, demand Tac Ops.

I heard the 26 inch has less muzzle blast and recoil and may be a more pleasant range gun .How much more though?

cmm

not going to get into the which is better deal, but i don't have a problem getting out to 1k with my 20.

cheers

what about for a 15 year old?
    6 ft 140 lbs
    Zander

I keep six honest serving men, they taught me all I knew
    Their names are WHAT and WHY, and WHEN, and HOW and WHERE and WHO

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads