Robinson Arms to sell "pistols"

This is a discussion on Robinson Arms to sell "pistols" within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I never liked the look of an AR "pistol." I always thought it looked kinda silly with the buffer tube sticking out the back, even ...

I never liked the look of an AR "pistol."

I always thought it looked kinda silly with the buffer tube sticking out the back, even if it was "padded."

But as I understand it, the law basically says that if there's no buttstock, and doesn't require pumping or levering to cycle, it's a pistol.

So, now you can own a rifle with no stock (and no buffer tube to worry about) and the barrel length is up to your choosing.

So if you'd like to own a 12" SBR, without the stock, you can. As long as you don't attach a stock to it, the BATF won't mind. Put a stock on it without an authorization to own a SBR and you'll find yourself in a world of $hat.

I figure, if the Armageddon comes and the BATF is the midget in the room, then one could easily change his pistol into an SBR very easily.
    "America was born of protest, revolution and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long."

My long ranger: Surgeon 1086 Long Action in 300 Winchester Magnum. Krieger Heavy Varmint (fluted) with JEC Custom Brake. Jewell Trigger, Spuhr Mount with Schmidt-Bender PMII 5-25x56 Illuminated P4 Fine. AADMount Caps, McMillan A5 custom Stock, Atlas PRS bipod, Rifles Only Sling, Wiebad front and rear bags.

Yeah, the Puma Bounty Hunter is a lever action rifle with the barrel cut short and the buttstock almost cut all the way off. However, because it's manufactured and marketed as a "pistol" it's not a SBR and legal.

http://www.legacysports.com/products...erm87shot.html

Unfortunately, California has a problem with pistols that take a magazine anywhere other than through the grip. Guess I'll have to wait 'til I move for that one.

I do have a late model XCR and although I wasn't as impressed with it as I'd initially hoped, it's turning out to be a fine little carbine. There's been talk of a PDW for some time and although the pistol variant was initially dismissed, it looks like they came around. If you're going to SBR it I think this would be the way to go. The MINI version would be nice to build a lighter carbine on with a 14.5 inch barrel and pinned flash hider. I might end up picking one of those up. I can't wait to see what they're going to do with the stock as I think that's really one of the low points of the current platform. I've been waiting to see what they do before I just go ahead and start cutting metal to make my own.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Another thing to remember with AR pistols is that BATF says you cannot add a forward vertical grip.

what is the shortest legal barrel for a Ar type rifle
    sps tactical .308 bell & Carlson A3 stock
    savage 110 fcp 300 win mag
    700P .308
    PSL-54 7.62x54R
    Czech Mauser "sniper" version
    H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic 45-70

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedmac
    Yeah, the Puma Bounty Hunter is a lever action rifle with the barrel cut short and the buttstock almost cut all the way off. However, because it's manufactured and marketed as a "pistol" it's not a SBR and legal.

http://www.legacysports.com/products...erm87shot.html
    rossi makes one too. Pretty sweet lookin, I'll have one once I win the lottery...
    Proud owner:
    1934 matching K-31
    .308 Savage Tactical
    .270 Remington 700 Sendero
    Remington 510 Targetmaster .22
    Parker Hale 1200 Super 7mm Rem Mag

Quote Originally Posted by 01bullit
    what is the shortest legal barrel for a Ar type rifle
    For a rifle I believe it is 16".

Jamie

but the XCR doesn't have that ugly buffer tube sticking out the back... can you imagine a 10 inch xcr without a stock? would be rpetty sick.
    Proud owner:
    1934 matching K-31
    .308 Savage Tactical
    .270 Remington 700 Sendero
    Remington 510 Targetmaster .22
    Parker Hale 1200 Super 7mm Rem Mag

A full sized California version with a non folding stock doesn't have a single part over 17.5 inches long. You can easily take it apart and throw it in a backpack. Not nearly as convenient as folding it in half and having a package that will fit into a shoebox, that's for sure.

There are still things about the new ones that I don't like which I hoped they would have addressed by now. None of them are deal killers, mind, and I'm certainly warming up more to mine every time I take it out. There are just a few little things I hope they'll change.

Of course, this one has been available for many years.
    http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?page=s ... &Itemid=37
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." -- Paris Hilton

Ads