Remington 700 HB Police

Remington 700 HB Police

This is a discussion on Remington 700 HB Police within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; So, I'm kicking around the idea of getting another rifle. A duty rifle. I currently have the Savage 10FP, in the Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remington 700 HB Police

So, I'm kicking around the idea of getting another rifle. A duty rifle.

I currently have the Savage 10FP, in the Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock. It is a fine, accurate rig.

But (among other things) I want a detachable box magazine. Specifically, I want a set up like the adaptor that will allow the rifle to take the AI 10 round magazines.

When I got the Savage, I did so because I wanted a barrel with a 1-10 twist. It is my understanding that the Remington is 1-12.

So, here come the questions:

1. Just how accurate is that Remington 700 out of the box? I'm talking about the HB 26" version.

2. Will that 1-12 twist stabilize the 175 grain MatchKing bullet, as fired out of Federal GM Match ammo?

3. How much will one cost?

4. Finally, if it is possible, do you think that Remington will make one for me out of their Custom Shop with the 1-10 twist?

I appreciate all information and comments, but I'll be very interested in hearing from other police snipers who use the Remington 700--particularly if they're out of the box rifles. Thanks!
    Hiding in plain sight...

hey

Hey, The problem with the rem 700 out of the box is that its hit or miss. You may get a rifle that shoots .5 and under or you may get a lemon that shoots .75 and higher.

It is a good rifle, and the 1 in 12 twist is really better for the 168g i would go with a 1-10 for the 175g.

Yes the custom shop would build you one to your specs but why not have one of the guys on SC build you one. Or have one of them build your savage up a little to what you want. There are plenty of guys that will do that for you. OR you could just call Mike at tac ops and order one.

stephen

hey

Ok i thought this over again.

Call mike and order a tac ops. and then you have the most accurate rifle around and it will do whatever you need it to do. I great duty rifle for you.

stephen

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

the 700 police is a pretty great rifle out of the box. its sturdy and comes with the HS police stock and is aluminum bedded so you wouldnt hwave to worry about changing the stock right away. from what people have told me a 1:12 twist will be fine with the 175gr bullet. but thats just about its limits. you would probably see a tid-bit more accuracy out of a 168gr but 175 will deffinetly work. the rifle will most likely cost about 950 bucks. not so bad in my opinion.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not shoot,
    The courage to shoot the things I can,
    and the wisdom to hide the bodies.

As with any mass produced rifle... it's hit or miss like already pointed out. I would call Mike or Roscoe and consult with them if you are using this as a duty weapon. Mike used to have tune up packages on these PSS rifles.
    Life is Simple.
    Living is what makes it complicated.

Just get the HB 700 police. First off the average shot from a police sniper is within 50 yards, so that elimnates 2 things.
    1. You don't need to shoot the 175gr, cause you don't need the weight and BC for a LONG range shot. 2. You don't need a 4-5000 dollar rifle to make a head shot at 50 yards on in. So as far as if you need one of these high dollar rifles....probably not! Now the question comes down to wether or not you just want one. I collect precision rifles, sniper rifles. I have several, and some that I dropped a decent amount of change on. In reality I only need one. I am going to buy a Tac Ops cause I want one and I like Mike. He is a hell of a guy.

Side note. My 700p 300win mag has shot a .04 on few occassions. The rest of the time it is me that is getting in the way of its accuracy!
    I have never been nice my entire life, but I will try to be sweet.... Bill

Send your Savage to CDI Precision Gun Works with a check for $350 and it'll come back with a detachable magazine system that takes AI mags.

If you have the bug to buy a new rifle that's OK, a 700 P is a good gun. I think there is one for sale in the classifieds now.

$800 delivered-good deal.
    Life is Simple.
    Living is what makes it complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperdog-alpha1
    Just get the HB 700 police. First off the average shot from a police sniper is within 50 yards, so that elimnates 2 things.
    1. You don't need to shoot the 175gr, cause you don't need the weight and BC for a LONG range shot. 2. You don't need a 4-5000 dollar rifle to make a head shot at 50 yards on in. So as far as if you need one of these high dollar rifles....probably not! Now the question comes down to wether or not you just want one. I collect precision rifles, sniper rifles. I have several, and some that I dropped a decent amount of change on. In reality I only need one. I am going to buy a Tac Ops cause I want one and I like Mike. He is a :-) of a guy.

Side note. My 700p 300win mag has shot a .04 on few occassions. The rest of the time it is me that is getting in the way of its accuracy!
    Sure wish I could use my Winchester Laredo. It shoots WAY under MOA at 100 yards.

Anyway, my jurisdiction dictates that I should be prepared to take a long range shot. At our Tribal School, it is possible to have a shot in excess of 400 yards. Plus, my Department dictates the duty ammo--and they like that 175 grain MatchKing. (As a matter of fact, so do I!)
    Hiding in plain sight...

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedmac
    Send your Savage to CDI Precision Gun Works with a check for $350 and it'll come back with a detachable magazine system that takes AI mags.

If you have the bug to buy a new rifle that's OK, a 700 P is a good gun. I think there is one for sale in the classifieds now.
    oneeyedmac, thanks! I just sent off an email to CDI; if I can get the DBM on my Savage, that will be SWEET!
    Hiding in plain sight...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads