new guy here with old build needs new builds ideas

This is a discussion on new guy here with old build needs new builds ideas within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; hi all my name is pete i am a new guy to this forum,i am a younger guy and bought a lot of guns in ...

hi all my name is pete i am a new guy to this forum,i am a younger guy and bought a lot of guns in my early twentys,i dont know alot about rifles but i love to go to the range and shoot ..i have been out of the gun seen for about 8 years or so...

any ways here is one of my last builds.. it is a savage 110 in 300wm,leupold mark 4and a timney trigger..while looking around this forum i found that theres alot of talk between the savages verse remingtons(i dont want to start a debate over that).. i am very happy with this gun but in my younger days i had a big head and thought that the 300wm would be a fun round because of its power(my bad).. after about 50 rounds at the range i relized i was wrong. the gun is very accurate but it expensive and painfull to shoot..

i still need to get a better stock any recomendations?????

so that brings me to my next problem, i need to build a gun thats fun and cheaper to shoot and build, but something along the same lines of that setup..what do you think???? maybe 308..
    i have been followin that cheap build thread going on great info!! i would like to try to keep the budget around 1000.00 bucks or so..any ideas would be great..

and any ideas on upgrades i can do to my current setup would be great also.. thanks so much

MOA
    Well, if you hand load you can bring the cost down some for the 300. You also might want to look into a muzzle brake, although adding weight will do the same thing. No idea on Savage stocks.
    On the next build I would just get a Savage/Remington varmint in 308 or even 223 if your just shooting paper under about 500 yards, and improve things you dont like as you go along.

The problem with you savage is not that hard to fix. Add some weight and a suppressor or brake and the recoil issue will be fixed. Then start handloading and the price of ammo goes down. And on the stock, I replace that thing with a Manners.

However if you decide to build a new gun for economics I'd just go pickup one of Mels packages. It can be had for about the price you taking about and 308 is about an economical as one gets, at least in the world of centerfire.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

First of all your bolt face is a magnum size so that will need to be changed. Most rifles need a new bolt, but I believe the Savage you can change out the bolt head its self.

As for caliber lots of choices. You have a long action so that opens up your options a bit. I like the 30-06, but 308 is a good choice. Before you decide on a caliber what do you plan on doing with the rifle? If target shooting at what range etc. For simple paper punching at 100 yards a 223 is a good choice.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

If you modify the existing rifle:

Standard size Savage bolt head: $20
    Shilen varmint barrel ready to use in .243: $275
    Bell & Carlson stock: $225

Total: $520

or

Standard size Savage bolt head: $20
    Shilen varmint barrel ready to use in .243: $275
    Manners stock: $425

Total: $720

I suggest .243 because it's a very soft recoiling cartridge with a lot of distance potential. You could substitute any caliber you'd like.

thanks guys looks like i have some thinking to do..

i think im going to try one of those jp Howitzer brakes and a nice stock.. i think that will help get some control..

Ads