Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

M-16/M-1 Garrand/ M1A

7K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  natdscott 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking at joining the Navy Shooting team, and I want to eventualy buy my own rifle, and the only guns they will let us use are the M-16, the M-1 Garrand, and the M1A(M-14).

My question to you is; which of these would you choose, and what would you do to it to turn it into a 1000 yard rifle.

Call it a $3000ish cap for gunsmithing and rifle/parts combined. Can it even be done for this price?

Josh

#27 ·
Koga, each to his own. I understand where you are coming from, I am neither a fan of .223 nor 5.56, but your agenda is a bit silly. That's like saying why shoot .22 LR where you can have .204 Ruger and nail any varmint you want out to 400 yards. The answer is CHALLENGE for yourself and your hardware. It's all about sportsmanship and having fun with your hobby.

#28 ·
Go with the M1A it will be a better choice for what you want to do with it. If you just wanted to know what one to get in general not for sharpShooting I would go with the M1 Garand. The M1 Garand is always a great looking gun and shooter. It also a great piece of history to have.

#29 ·
I think all three rifles would do just fine, just pick the one you like best after trying them out. Me? I like the old M1 Garand best, just like I prefer pork too beef or willys jeeps to modern schmoe trucks. :wink:

#30 ·
natdscott said:
Koga said:
I understand folks have shot the .223 to the outer limits of it's capability, the question is why, when a .260, 7-08 or .308 does it so much easier and with less build effort.
Koga, I'm not sure you understand how many different shooting "games" there are out there, and how important they each can be to their respective participants. It's not always about pure equipment performance.

The deal with service rifle competition is that you HAVE to shoot one of only three calibers. Period. Nobody here ever stated that the .30-06 Springfield might not have a ballistic advantage over the .223 Remington. I already covered the close similarities between the .308 Winchester and the .223 Remington at long range. Under 600 yards, the black rifle is the one to beat, and though I do not currently shoot mine at long range, the fact is that some are doing so to good effect.

To each shooter his or her own, and I respect that. Just because I'm a highpower guy doesn't mean I can't appreciate Cowboy, Skeet, or IDPA...et cetera.

When you say things like these:

Koga said:
...no matter how many internet ninjas vouch for it.
Koga said:
Maybe you should stop talking for awhile.
Koga said:
Kids are so infatuated...
...it only serves to alienate people. Let's keep it in the forefront that, though these are mostly faceless usernames, they all represent very real people. Some of us have more and/or different experience than others, but that doesn't make anybody better or worse. There are a lot of people around here that I have a good deal of respect for, and whom I believe have some respect for me.

The manner in which we conduct ourselves reflects our character, and sets us apart from the rest. As such, I think it would behoove you to consider that before you post such inflammatory comments. Particularly the second of the above quotations...that's riding the line.

Respectfully,
-Nate
Let it drift dad, I'm only funin'. You AR guys are pretty thin in the skin, if I offended anyone by my remarks, I appologize. I don't understand training with a rifle at 1000 yards that would have a very hard time making reliable kills past 500. Crazy as it seems, I would prefer to train at 1000 yards with a rifle that is effective at 1000 yards. Maybe I'm too old fashoned.

#31 ·
WHAT THE HELL?

WHO SHOOTS SERVICE RILFES AT 1000YDS!?!?!

Why don't you ask the team members? I'm sure they know a thing or two.

If you going to shoot service rifle, you'll need to shoot the AR15 to be competative, especially since you're just starting out.

That being said, the Navy team has some of the best M1/M15 gunsmiths in the world. They stoned a m1 trigger for a friend, boy did they make it crisp. [/i]

#33 ·
04nnj57111 said:
It's not about killing anything, it's about which of three types of rifles would eventually make a better long range rifle.
None of them make a good 1000yard rifle.

If you're going to shoot service rifle, get a AR15 for 1000$

The other $2k you where going to spend on a m1a will go a long ways on a proper match rifle.

Don't get me wrong m1a's are fun, but 16 year old girls with AR15's will walk all over your butt.

#34 ·
Don't get me wrong m1a's are fun, but 16 year old girls with AR15's will walk all over your butt.
:lol: I'm dying overe here...

But it is true! :) No matter what, an M1 Garand or an M1A is a bit like an old school hotrod and a 67 Shelby Mustang, the AR is a Dogde Viper. Guess wich one that helps you not @##$$% up, and wich one that makes you an all toghter better driver? :wink:

The rest is a matter style.... 8)

#36 ·
40mmMike said:
04nnj57111 said:
It's not about killing anything, it's about which of three types of rifles would eventually make a better long range rifle.
None of them make a good 1000yard rifle.

If you're going to shoot service rifle, get a AR15 for 1000$

The other $2k you where going to spend on a m1a will go a long ways on a proper match rifle.

Does your mom know you're on the computer, son?

#37 ·
Koga said:
1.Does your mom know you're on the computer, son?

2. 223/5.56 won't make 1000 yards no matter how many internet ninjas vouch for it. :)

3.Maybe you should stop talking for awhile.

4.Kids are so infatuated with their AR's they want to believe it can do anything.

5.You AR guys are pretty thin in the skin
Koga STFU!!!!! Everytime you post it makes it worse for you! you have only proven to be a nuisance here so check your attitude or your going to end up getting suspended from the forums or possibly banned if this doesnt end. no one appreciates your ****, you have already attacked numerous members here so I suggest you stop before you make this even worse on yourself.

#39 ·
Gentlemen, Please. lets just stop this. It does no good. Im probably younger then the lot of you and Im not behaving like this. Show some respect for the other members. This does no good to the OP who wanted some friendly advice and it is not helping.

If he wants a AR15 type rifle to shoot service rifle, then let him. If he can make it work, then why not. Personally, I prefer a .308 so I may go for a M1A. But if It seemed to me that the AR15 would be a much better rifle, then I would consider getting one. Let the OP make up his own mind with well thought out and useful debate and discussion on the subject. Gents, we are all here to help one another. Fighting and alike does not help our chosen sport or our perception to the wider community.

Please gentlemen, stop, pause, and have a think. Lets try and stop this before the Moderators have to break out the Ban stick.

In case anyone's wondering, I'm 19.

#40 ·
Quick said:
Gentlemen, Please. lets just stop this. It does no good. Im probably younger then the lot of you and Im not behaving like this. Fighting and alike does not help our chosen sport or our perception to the wider community.

Please gentlemen, stop, pause, and have a think. Lets try and stop this before the Moderators have to break out the Ban stick.

In case anyone's wondering, I'm 19.
Shaun, I believe you know my age, my handle on here was AceSn1per. I was not and am not fighting with this guy, I gave him some advice.

Im done in this thread, Koga; my advice to you is think before you speak or in this case write. People sometimes say stupid things just because they didnt take the time to think it through, I know Ive done it plenty of times. YOU are the one thats going to decide if you want to stay on SniperCentral or not. If I offended you by my post then sorry, my bad. but you need to check your attitude.

#41 ·
Koga said:
Does your mom know you're on the computer, son?
Koga, this is not acceptable behavior on these forums, and will not be tolerated. Review our Code of Conduct, and please realize that while we are not thin-skinned around here, the rules are time tested, and there for a reason; we enforce them with rigidity. I've enjoyed our discussions, and I think you've got some knowledge to offer, but the trolling has to go.

40mmMike said:
No, but your mom does!...Is this what it means to feed the troll?
Yes, that is exactly what it means, and NO, it will not be tolerated either. Also, you have spelled "ogive" incorrectly in your Signature line.

Savage110 said:
Koga STFU!!!!!
Ace, this is not a productive, or respectful statement. You know exactly where the line is, please don't cross it. If you wish to bring attention to a thread, please PM a moderator, and we will always look into the matter, if we are not already.

Alright. Though I realize some of the comments made have been in jest, it seems to be getting out of hand. Sometimes this happens out of miscommunication of one's TONE, which is a problem with any internet forum.

I really didn't want to lock this thread, because there have been some good kernels of information for the OP, and others. If anyone has any additional information for the original poster, please do PM him about it, or PM me and I'll insert it into this thread.

Thank you,
-Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.