Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

338Howitzer PIC's Done!!!!!

40K views 227 replies 46 participants last post by  monteboy84 
#1 ·
Ok, 3weeks later then thought i got the barrel. WOW what a monster

Here is some pics laying next to my 30-378 with a 28in barrel and 2in brake with a number 4.5 contour.

Barrel specs are
32in rough can be finished at 31 or 30 going with 30 in think.
1-9.35 twist on a 4 rifling set up.
no real contour name its packing a 1.350 chamber for 5in and tapers to 1.00 at 31.
Then the 3in brake

More pics to come when more parts start getting here.

Tom

See less See more
#5 ·
Well got the stock and this is what its sorta looking like.

OH OH OH i seen fondled the action today. Wow better then well some of the better things in life LOL

Just can't wait for it to be in hand in afew days or early next week.

Oh roughly will be 56in OAL when done. LOL almost 5ft lol wow thats long

Tom

#10 ·
bluezx14 said:
Thanks for the link, I have heard good things about Nesika actions so these people might be worth a look as well. Have you looked at the Stiller Python for an extreme range build?

I have used Nesika, Witch Glen started the company.

and i have used about everyone out there and i can honestly say this action is the finest i have ever touched fondled or baught.

Tom

#12 ·
Ok,

My picture taken skills suck.

But here are some with the brake laid up with it and the scope i may put on it.

Now you take the per-say 1in off the barrel and then thread it 3/4 and then with it laying in the stock to were the action would be. I'm looking right at 56inches OAL.

Tom

#13 ·
Nice build my friend! So you say you are going with a Defiance action (which is sweet) but what do you (and everyone else) think of Lawton? I mean I know they make the best barrels, but I wasnt sure on the actions. The only thing I know is the $1,000+ price tag on the upper end actions. Let me know because now im curious as to what company truly is the best out there.

-Jon

p.s. even if the "best" is your opinion, I know everybody has one!

#14 ·
XMahkaihX said:
Nice build my friend! So you say you are going with a Defiance action (which is sweet) but what do you (and everyone else) think of Lawton? I mean I know they make the best barrels, but I wasnt sure on the actions. The only thing I know is the $1,000+ price tag on the upper end actions. Let me know because now im curious as to what company truly is the best out there.

-Jon

p.s. even if the "best" is your opinion, I know everybody has one!
Honestly i only had one Lawton barrel and action. Barney was a great guy.

I switched to Krieger quite awhile ago for the single point cut barrels. Wouldn't put anything else one a rifle. Far as the action over the years i have tried alot of the high end action an was sadly disappointed. For why i went with Defiance. is after talking to Glen 4 or 5 times and then seeing his work first hand i new it was the only action i would ever be using again.

With a custom action you shouldn't have to touch them when you get ready to put the barrel on. I have had to have acouple of them trued.

One thing i really really liked was the heart and sole that he puts into every action that is build.

Thats just my 1/2 cents worth.

Tom

#16 ·
Well really close now.

Delay at seekins lol

Well Glen at Defiance came threw even more for me. He had a seekin DBM right there that i got from him.

But i have the most beautiful action i have ever baught.

Then the seekins DBM

I'm taken the family for easter weekend so there will be lots more pics with everything layed out, i know theres guys like me that will drool.

Larry its going to be like Xmas for you when you get this box.

Plus afew extras for you. lol

Tom

#22 ·
Thanks for your input on the actions my friend. That defiance looks crazy sweet! So if you dont mind me asking, how much is this whole project going to cost you? After I get a nice .308 I really want a .338 LM but it would seem the best bet would be to do it myself. I mean, the two cheapest .338 LM's out there are the Remington MLR and the Armalite AR-30, and both would need a bit of work so a DIY seems like the best bet. Lastly, do you plan on putting a finish on it??

#23 ·
XMahkaihX said:
Thanks for your input on the actions my friend. That defiance looks crazy sweet! So if you dont mind me asking, how much is this whole project going to cost you? After I get a nice .308 I really want a .338 LM but it would seem the best bet would be to do it myself. I mean, the two cheapest .338 LM's out there are the Remington MLR and the Armalite AR-30, and both would need a bit of work so a DIY seems like the best bet. Lastly, do you plan on putting a finish on it??

Well the action was 1540. I had every thing but the kitchen sing added
The barrel same thing full custom extend length an daim. 515.00
Manners stock 450.00
Seekins dbm 345.00
Sightron siiiss 800.00

Then smith work will depend on the smith
450-650
Grand totall. 3650.00+smith 4100.00or4300.00

You say holly crappo that's a lot it is taken me two years but by all means this thing should be perfect plus everything is to my specs

Hope you guys enjoyed looking

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.