Hunting?

Hunting?

This is a discussion on Hunting? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I know this is a site dedicated to snipers and the such but which of the Tactical Operations rifles would anyone suggest be best suited ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting?

Hunting?

I know this is a site dedicated to snipers and the such but which of the Tactical Operations rifles would anyone suggest be best suited for hunting deer down in Texas? My first thought would be the Seirra .308 with a 22 inch barrel. Any other suggestions?

Sponsors
    The sierra-51 wouldn't be bad, but I'd also seriously look at the tango-51 with a 18 or 20" barrel. The stock used on the tango is compact and "lighter" in weight (relative term, as its still probably heavier then the typical hunting stock) but yet also has the wider beaver tail forearm and raised cheek rest. I say 18 or 20" tube just to keep weight down.

MEL

zop
    yeah one of the things you'll notice is the guns built for snipers and long range shooting are MUCH heavier than what you'd typically pack around for game shooting of any kind.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I wouldn't use it for long range hiking for deer hunting, I have plenty of other rifles for that, but I'm just looking for a rifle that I would have in a blind. But thanks for your input Mel. Maybe in the future I will have a very good chance in buying one of those rifles.

Sponsors
    No problem! Thats what these forums are here for!

MEL

For me (I live in Fort Worth) when I head out to East Texas for a little white-tail I typically take my tried and true 30-06 if I am going to be hunting valleys or open areas.

However, when in the forest, or any other place that will be "close" (under 100m) I will typically pick up my ol' 30-30. The scopes on either one cost more than both the rifles.

A hunting rifle and a sniper rifle are designed for different applications. Realistically a hunting rifle needs to be able 2-4" MOA for a solid vital organ hit. Where as a Sniper rifle needs to be .2-.5 to make sure you can put it to the left of the left eye and snag the brainstem.

Sponsors
    Agreed! It certainly is job related when it comes to rifle selection.

I'm currently working on new hunting rifle.... and its nothing like a tactical rifle. Its going to be built following the "Scout" rifle concept. Under 40" length, under 7 lbs, scope mounted forward of the action. It will be built on a Turkish Mauser action, have a swedish mauser 16" carbine barrel chambered in 6.5x55. I will put an EER scope on it, probably a nikon 2.5-8x, maybe a leupold 2.5x scout with German #1 reticule.

Perfect hunting rifle for my stomping grounds

MEL

Aren't you in Elk country? I can remember almost being trampled by one when I was younger and out camping. I was told it was a young one too, never wanted to get out and find a big one!

Personally, for white tail, I don't think you can really beat a 30-06. It is good at all ranges (with practice), and it fairly a cheap rifle. Now, the ammo can get expenisve if you don't by in bulk.

I'd hit the pawn shop and grab a winchester 30-06 and stick a new stock on it, mount you a scope and be done with it.

I'm not saying I don't have enough deer rifles. Right now I'm using my Ruger .30-06 as my main deer rifle. But I have a deer rifle for just about every hunting situation when hunting deer. I have a .30-30 for the brush, a .300 Savage, a .270 which is for all practical purposes a .30-06, and two .308 so I'm just looking for something that's out of the ordinary for hunting.

I live in Ohio we don't have the luxury of hunting with rifles. If you want to try something out of the ordinary pick up a reliable remington 870 shotgun with a fully rifled barrel and 4x scope, Federal Barnes X-panders in 2 3/4" and go to town. Whole system under $500 and I have dropped whitetails where they stood at 125 yards. When I go to W.V. to hunt with a rifle I have a Remington Model 7 compact in .243. Awesome little gun even the teenagers can shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads