Swedish M38 Short rifle(Sporterized)

This is a discussion on Swedish M38 Short rifle(Sporterized) within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I brought Sporterized M38 home for good. Heres the skinny on her. All numbers, bolt, barrel, receiver, small parts have matching serials. The barrel, inside ...

I brought Sporterized M38 home for good.

Heres the skinny on her.

All numbers, bolt, barrel, receiver, small parts have matching serials. The barrel, inside seems very little used. Trigger pull is about on par with my Remington 03A3, say about five pounds.

I had to clean some kind of hardened lubricant out of the bolt release/ejector and the locking lug recess area of the receiver. Almost looked like grease but was pitch black.

The front sight is marked -0.5 on the base and blade, but the blade itself has had an extention welded to the original blade to raise its height. I believe it was done to lower P.O.I as the original sights were BZO'd at 300 meters.

The receiver has been drilled and tapped for a set of weaver bases. It came with a set of tip-off bases, they rotate to the left for iron sight use if needed. I've decided to for-go the use of these and go to a standard set of bases and rings since the tip-off ones limit my selection of optics for the finished rifle.

Once I get the scope I've decided on built by Leupold and have a chance to test her for accuracy I'll know if I will need to have the action bedded to the stock.

Overall I guess I did pretty good on getting what appears to be a professionally sporterized rifle, I wont say how much I paid, lol, but I think I got for a song.

Pictures to follow I promise.

Congratulations, I've had two standard M38s and they are very nice rifles for old mil-surps.

The round is a gem and IMO should have been the NATO round in the 1950's (or some other 6.5 round ... but then why reinvent the wheel?)

One of my M38s was my deer hunting rifle ... stock standard with iron sights.

Have you had any Swedish Mausers before HavelockLEO?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi
    Have you had any Swedish Mausers before HavelockLEO?
    This is my first, and it will soon have a bone stock sister if I can work a trade with my gunsmith.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Be careful ..... they are VERY addictive! .... :wink: .... also, if you can buy the Norma Jaktmatch 90 grain ammo in the 50 round boxes over there, it's no good in some of the M96s with the longer barrels but here it was so cheap I used to buy it just to plink with in my M38s as the live round was the same price as new Norma 6.5x55 brass!

I reload anyway.

Kiwi

"Norma Jaktmatch 90 grain ammo", any Norma ammo in my neck of the woods is only in a 20 round box and pushs the forty dollars a box limit.

I'm gonna trade my gunsmith a few boxes of ammo for some old Century loads he has and get me a good supply of Swedish surplus 142 grain ammo, and roll some of my own to see what she can do.

The Swedish surplus ammo is great! .... silver coloured projectiles (might be just the thing for zombies and vampires :wink: ) sadly, it's all long gone in NZ ....

I just mounted a set of Weaver Top mount bases and temporarily stuck a cheapy 6X42 scope on her. Now I have to wait till Sunday and get her checked and boresighted, then it'll be next Wednesday or Thursday before a range session.

Ads