Remington 700 sps varmit VS. Savage 12fvss VS. Savage 10fp?

This is a discussion on Remington 700 sps varmit VS. Savage 12fvss VS. Savage 10fp? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Im planning to buy a rifle for long range shooting (600-1000 yards). I want to get it in .308 caliber. I have it narrowed down ...

Im planning to buy a rifle for long range shooting (600-1000 yards). I want to get it in .308 caliber. I have it narrowed down to three rifles... the remington 700 sps varmit with a 26 inch heavy barrel 1:12 twist, a savage 12fvss with a 26 inch heavy barrel 1:10 twist, or a savage 10fp 24 inch heavy barrel 1:10 twist. I plan to get the rifle's action trued. If anyone has experiance with any of these rifles I'd apreciate your input. Thanks

I'd say get the savage with 26' barrel just to help you achieve higher velocities

Also have a look at the Savage 12 VLP DBM, .308 26" barrel , 1 in 10 twist

( the photo isnt mine , just a quick google search )

I,m biased but the 7x64 brenneke is a better calibre , this does restrict me in my choice unless I get a custom build , I,m sure I will be happy with my Zastava LK M808 with thumbhole stock
    " If it wasn't for the medication I,d be chewing on your skin "

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I have non-civilian experience with the 700, and I own several Savages, including 12s.

For the distances you are wanting, you will want higher BC - meaning you need higher core density and higher weight, and therefore will probably need the faster twist rate and may want the longer barrel. Both point to the Savages.

Besides, 95% of the work to make a Savage better can be done by you, and If you take it to a smith, you can usually save a bit on labor, because they are faster/easier to work on.
    Molon Labe!
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Range Master (head armorer and lead firearms instructor)
    AR15/M16, Remington 700 and Glock Armorer
    Savage bolt & Remington rimfire fan

So do you think the savages are more accurate than the Remington?

For the record... the 700 varmint only has a 24" barrel... they measure it from the closed bolt face to the crown.. that measurement is 26"... take 2" out of the chamber and you have 24".... I know this because I have a 10FP and my friend has a 700 SPS varmint... a cleaning rod will slide down the barrel to the same length on both rifles.

I don't have experience w/ the other savage but you can't go wrong w/ either 700 SPS varmint of a 10FP... I have the 10FP and the benefit I see is the adjustable trigger.. takes about 5 mins and you only need the special little tool and an allen wrench... My 10FP also happens to shoot a little faster than my friend's 700 SPS varmint and the 1:10" twist will help stablize heavier bullets. Both guns are the same as far as accuracy goes from our experiences.... only thing I like about the remington more is not simple bolt design, it doesn't have that stupid locking thing that the savage has which makes the bolt harder to open and lock down. You have to cycle both actions to see what I mean. I also don't like the detachable mag of the 10FP.. makes finding stock a pain and its one more bling thing to jam.. mine doesn't click in easily.

Overall.. I don't think you can go wrong with either... Just depends on the details I stated above.

MIke.

Accuracy... this past weekend we went shooting... our range is only 600yds and we stood under the targets calling eachothers shots... we both shot Sub 0.3MOA groups at 600yds, mine was a 3 shot his was a 4 shot... from bipods.. this was the very best... as far as average... we were putting down 0.5-0.75 MOA groups all day long at every range. I had an 8 rd group at the end of the day out of my savage that was under 1MOA. The $hitty shooting is definately on us... we only get to shoot about once a month... with some more practice I would imagine sub 0.5MOA groups consistantly... the guns can definately do it.. its just us doing our part.

As far as velocities.. w/ my reloads I am pulling 2825-2840fps out of 168gr SMK... going to load another 0.5-1gr powder and see if it goes anywhere without pressure signs.

MIke.

Re: Remington 700 sps varmit VS. Savage 12fvss VS. Savage 10

Quote Originally Posted by CJThompson
    Im planning to buy a rifle for long range shooting (600-1000 yards). I want to get it in .308 caliber. I have it narrowed down to three rifles... the remington 700 sps varmit with a 26 inch heavy barrel 1:12 twist, a savage 12fvss with a 26 inch heavy barrel 1:10 twist, or a savage 10fp 24 inch heavy barrel 1:10 twist. I plan to get the rifle's action trued. If anyone has experiance with any of these rifles I'd apreciate your input. Thanks
    IMO, the Savage 12 is the winner here unless you want a little more mobility, and the shorter barrel of the 10fp will win that part. I highly recommend a 10-twist barrel, you extend the versatility of your bullet selection. The 12 twist will still handle the heavies, but if you ever shoot suppressed, you'll want the faster twist.

You mentioned having the action trued, you don't "have" to do this with the Savages. The floating bolt head does a great job of aligning with the bore, and that aids in their accuracy. There are things that you can get for the Rem that you can't (for now) get for the Savage. However I don't see a rem in my future at all unless it's a full on custom Tac Ops or rifle by Roscoe.

Branden
    Once you go FDAC, you'll never go back!

-Me

Ads