McMillian Edge Fill- Worth it? Too light?

This is a discussion on McMillian Edge Fill- Worth it? Too light? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am planning on ordering a McMillian HTG for Christmas. I am stuck on what fill weight to choose. I am considering the Edge fill ...

I am planning on ordering a McMillian HTG for Christmas.

I am stuck on what fill weight to choose. I am considering the Edge fill to make a light field rifle. From my research I believe my rifle with the HTG Edge will end up being around 10 lb. I think this is a good middle ground weight for ease of shooting and carrying. My only hesitation is that the stock will be too light- that it will negativity effect the overall handling and balance.

Unless my information is wrong these are the weights I found listed for the HTG:

Sniper fill- 2.6 lb
    Standard fill- 2.25 lb
    Edge fill- 1.6 lb

1.6 lb! If this is the correct weight, than this is one very light stock (Much lighter then the similar MCS-T, which is 2.1 lb with carbon option).

My train of thought is based on my experience with Fluffy's F51. The F51 and my 700P (20inch) are very similar weights and sizes, however the F51 was better balanced making it noticeably more comfortable to shoot. In fact, it 'felt lighter' in the hand than my 700P. The 700P, with its hollow butt and long aluminum filled forearm, felt much heavier to hold. I would rather a bit more weight if the rifle will have better balance.

So anyone with Edge experience, what are your thoughts? Is a pound of weight saved worth it? Will my rifle still be a joy to shoot?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Lemmesplain somethin: A 10 Pound hunting rifle is very heavy indeed.

My personal experience is that somewhere between 7 and 9 pound is nice, with the emphasis on balance point. I carry a lot of rifle, hunt mostly on my own two feet, and often wish for a lighter gun by the end of the day.

I like my bolt guns to balance right on the loading port/bottom metal:
    Further forward, and the rifle will not point well or swing worth a darn, will not want to stay in the shoulder, and will not carry well in the hand because you are always trying to choke up past the scope bell to get the darn thing to balance.

Further back, and it feels slow on the draw, recoil can get "flippy," and it doesn't carry well in the hand because you are always trying to choke back over the trigger guard to get the darn thing to balance.

My take: get the McMillan HTG Edge, strap on a cheekpiece from TacOps or Eagle, scope the rifle, load her up, and see where the balance point sits. If it is not where you want it, then take the buttplate off, and flush inlet install some lead wheel weights into the toe until it balances. If it's the forend, then do the same process in the barrel channel. Bed them in with Devcon, and don't forget to account for the weight of the Devcon itself (gettin' finicky, aren't I?) .

Keep us posted.
    -Nate
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC
    NRA A2 Service Rifle Expert LR
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman
    NRA Silhouette AA

We can get an HTG stock to weigh around 26 ounces especially if you use a 1/2" recoil pad.
    Ryan Melancon
    Production Mgr.
    McMillan Fiberglass Stocks
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I appreciate the post Nate.
    I agree 10 lb is still heavy for a hunter, but this is my only rifle and must serve double duty- fun at the range and in the field. Also, it's 10 lb with a 50mm NXS. I’m pretty happy to have the rifle at this weight with that type of glass on top.

I had not thought about filling the butt end to better balance the rifle- that's a good idea.

Ryan,
    I’m impressed. That is half a pound lighter than the MCS-T with carbon fill (Listed as 2.1 lb on Manner’s site). Is any durability sacrificed going this light? Any thoughts on how the rifle will balance out with a 20 inch Remington heavy barrel?

Ads