Rifle Build, Ideas Welcome.

This is a discussion on Rifle Build, Ideas Welcome. within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello Ladies, and Gentlemen of Sniper Central. I am a new poster and actually am fairly new to long distance shooting which i have been ...

Hello Ladies, and Gentlemen of Sniper Central.

I am a new poster and actually am fairly new to long distance shooting which i have been wanting to get into for quite some time, but have been unable to do so because of school and such.

Anyways, some background information, about what i will do with this build.

- I am a hunter, and the rifle will be used for longer shots, and varmint hunting. There are places where these shots could range out to 2+ Miles. Now i have no intention of ever taking game anywhere near that distance, in fact anything past 800 yards and i wouldn't feel comfortable about it, at this time anyways. In the future it would be nice to take shots at this distance for the late season "Population Control" hunting. But i intend to stalk up closer to them anyways at that is more enjoying to me then dropping them from 1k yards (Granted both are awesome.)

- While i like some tactical rifles i don't want to go over the top with it, in fact ideally i would like to end up with a rifle that is similar to a M40 a1/a2. As this would still look like a hunting rifle, but at the same time should fair quite well when the boys and i go out and have our competitions.

So anyways, right now i am looking at two rifles. The Remington 700 SPSv, and the Remington 700P. I like Remington, there is a vast market of parts, they are simple and reliable. Savage has let me down in the past, (To be more accurate Savage, and Federal ammunition has, both of which i have not bought since, though i will but a Savage before Federal ammo again. As at least Savage has redeemed itself when my mother got her rifle and i used it for Coyote and Varmint hunting this year, bit weird using because of the left handed action, and she did get quite mad because i painted it... a lot, once 5 times in one month.) and because the M40 was based on a Remington 700 action.

In the future the stock will be replaced regardless of which rifle i buy to get to a more M40 look. So i am leaning towards the SPSv more at this time, as that would allow me to put more money right away to a scope (Which like the rifle will get upgraded over time, probably start off with a Leupold scope around the $300 range.) and to the range sooner, because of this it limits my caliber selection down a bit, i am trying to decide at the same time between .300 Win mag, and .308, both of which i have always wanted in my arsenal. The SPSv is available in only .308 between the two. Not a huge deal because it is what the M40 is.

So i am just looking for insight, i am looking forward to the experience, of building a rifle up, and would like to know how some of you went about building your first tactical rifle and some choices you made, as well as some suggestions on how to go about doing this, some things i should maybe consider, and what not.

So yea, long read but i am looking forward to the insight you guys provide.

Thanks,
    ~Rhyno430~
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Re: Rifle Build, Ideas Welcome.

Sir, do you handload? The cost of 300 win is much higher than the 308, loaded ammo is very high, while the brass is no better. As you have a defined budget, I would suggest the 308- everyone needs at least one anyway. Based on your description of your hunting area, the 300win will give you more range, and is easier to shoot-not recoil wise, but it shoots much flatter etc. The problem with that is if you have a weapon capable of the longer shots, but your scope isn't, you are back to 308 range. The other "problem" is most of the M40 type stocks are designed for the short action rem, better chance of finding a lower price on a stock. If you are going to start shooting matches, find out now what they do and do not allow for chamberings, some tac matches allow just about anything, others don't. Last though, if you do hand load, but don't already have a good set of dies-you need to add this to your outlay. If you plan on shooting factory only-308 is the only choice, 5 boxes of match grade ammo (100 rounds) will dent the budge. Good luck!

As far as competitions go. I do not do any organized ones, I would like to eventually, but basicaly what we do know is just go out to the sandhills and shoot with certain pots for certain ranges. No restrictions really. Right now the biggest gun is a. 300 rum. But my buddy plans on getting a. 50 when he gets back from afghanistan.

So I am not to worried about that part. I don't even know of any competitions in Nebraska. Yet.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

What's the total budget for rifle, mounts and optics? Don't forget things like a bipod if you want one and a case which can run from $25 to $300 depending on what you want.

As far as budget I really don't have one. Just going to buy things as I get the money. One reason I am leaning toward a sps v.

It's probably going to take awhile to get a finished project but by the time it is I should be really familiar with the capabilities of the rifle.

In fact I will probably keep the old stock and paint that instead of the good one.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno430
    - While i like some tactical rifles i don't want to go over the top with it, in fact ideally i would like to end up with a rifle that is similar to a M40 a1/a2. As this would still look like a hunting rifle, but at the same time should fair quite well when the boys and i go out and have our competitions.
    There are several places that will build you a M40 A1 or A2, but you can also consider the original M40 with a wood stock in BLO. Avoids the sniper look without loosing anything but the "serious weather" capabilities.

Even the serious weather conditions can be somewhat mitigated with a good bedding job.

As for paint and if you are new to it, get some Krylon camo paints that are ultra flat. They do a passable job and more importantly it'll come off easy if you want to re-do it.

Ads