My New DPMS LR308L Lightweight

This is a discussion on My New DPMS LR308L Lightweight within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Well I have been visiting this forum for a few years now but this is my first time posting, I believe. Not too long ago ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well I have been visiting this forum for a few years now but this is my first time posting, I believe.

Not too long ago I decided I wanted to step into an SR25/AR10 style weapon system. For those of you who have made the same decision at some point know that there are a lot of aspects and components to consider. In the end, I decided on buying a completed rifle as opposed to doing a build. The DPMS LR308L (Lightweight model) ultimately seemed to offer the best platform. I was a little hesitant about the lightweight barrel it is equipped with but, after doing some calling and some internet research my doubts were lifted. Although it is of a lighter construction, it is built to withstand abuse. Overall the rifle is built for accuracy and packability.

I had looked at the SASS and MK12 models but after looking at the overall quality, the LR308L really seemed to be of a higher quality.

As far as attachments, i kept it pretty low key to start. I fitted it with a Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical- a piece of glass I have had great luck with in the past- and a Harris bipod with the swivel feature. I also picked up a XS product X25 drum mag for it. If you are not familiar with these units, they are nothing like the BETA drums. They are very cool and durable units.

Anyway, so I got the rifle got everything fitted. Took it up to the range (a big as draw near my home) and put her to work. After doing my rough site in at 25yds I moved out to 100 and put her to the test. Right away it is very apparent that this rifle is built for accuracy. If not for a couple poorly placed trigger fingers, it was easily shooting .5 MOA. Again, this was not from a vise or a bench rest, simply from a prone position with support from the bipod and my off hand in the rear.

Next I loaded the 50 rd drum into the well and chucked through about 20 seconds of glory. 50 rounds through, without a hitch. The barrel was toasty but the carbon fiber fron grip didnt even warm. After about a 5 minute break I decided to put another group through it and it was pretty dang close to the cold bore performance. Overall I am extremely happy with its performance. Especially considering the price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: My New DPMS LR308L Lightweight

Very nice! That scopes objective looks CLOSE to the hand guard. Are you still able to correct parallax with it that close?
    You just picked up a hitcher...a prisoner of the white lines on the free way.

Yeah, it's really smooth operating so it functions nice from the top of the rifle. The only issue was that I had to notch my lens covers to fit on the scope. Which was fine by me to get my scope riding that low to the barrel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Oh OK. That a SPS tac on the other side?

CLOSE THAT DUST COVER!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
    You just picked up a hitcher...a prisoner of the white lines on the free way.

Yeah, it's an SPS Tactical in .223. I am sending the barrel off to be threaded for a suppressor in the next couple days... Now I just need to wait out the Feds for my stamp. Next purchase will be a can for the LR308. I was originally planning on sinking some rubles into a Daniel Defense rail system and magpul prs buttstock but the current setup has kind of grown on me.

Most excellent my friend! You gots a gud gun.
    Actions speak louder than words but not nearly so often.

Thanks brotha! She's a sweety!

Where did you get that 50 round magazine?
    Michael G. McCurry
    McCurry Investment Corporation
    10818 Elam RD.
    Dallas TX. 75217

I got mine straight from the manufacture but, you can get them from hkparts.net I believe. They don't tend to stay on the shelf too long so you have to nab them up pretty quick. You might try contacting the manufacture through their website and seeing if you can buy straight through them. Oh and they do sell them on gunbroker.com as well, if you don't mind minor casting blemishes. I had to do some minor fileing on mine to get it to seat all the way. I guess that is how they are supposed to be though, so as to make sure they fit snuggly in all rifles due to tolerance variances in the rifles.

NIce AR bud, Ive been thinkin of takeing the AR10 plunge myself oneday. May have to make it happen one day
    A reporter interviewing a Marine Sniper asked, " What do you feel when you have to shoot a terrorist"? The Marine shrugged his shoulders and replied "Recoil"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads