Adjustable vs Non-Adjustable Cheek Piece...

This is a discussion on Adjustable vs Non-Adjustable Cheek Piece... within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am ordering a custom rifle build with a Manners T4 and NF 5.5-22x50. I would like some input on whether or not an adjustable ...

I am ordering a custom rifle build with a Manners T4 and NF 5.5-22x50. I would like some input on whether or not an adjustable cheek piece would be of benefit. I have never owned a tactical rifle or a rifle with an adjustable cheek piece. I do own some sporting rifles with high combs and prefer them over straight combs. Added weight is not an issue for me.

1. Does the adjustable cheek offer a benefit given a scope with a 50mm objective?
    2. Is it typical to change comb height for different shooting positions?
    3. Under what conditions is the comb height usually changed or is it typically static once set?

Thanks in advance,
    Max

Re: Adjustable vs Non-Adjustable Cheek Piece...

Many people find that if the cheek piece is high enough to be in the correct position for them, then they cannot use a cleaning rod. This is one reason why cheek pieces are adjustable.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

I used to be against adjustable cheeks on my rifles until the last few months.

I avoided it mostly for the added weight it throws on the butt of the rifle.

What I've been running into:

On my 56mm objective, I'm stuck goose-necking. So I put on a stock pack. Still goose-necking. Then I put on a couple pads under it. Its really mushy and moves around a ton, but I can get a good cheek-weld.

The stock pack with a couple pieces of foam under it, along with the ammo and other junk that ends up in the pack throws me weighing as much as the adjustable cheek would have in the first place. Plus, I can't use my quick-detach cups.

I dropped quite a bit of weight and my face is much slimmer. On some of my older rifles with 50mm, I'm too low now. I didn't really notice it until now, but I've been goose-necking them too when I didn't have to before.

My advice, spend the extra $130 and get it right the first time.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gsmithplm
    Many people find that if the cheek piece is high enough to be in the correct position for them, then they cannot use a cleaning rod. This is one reason why cheek pieces are adjustable.
    That is one issue that is making me wish I had a folder.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

I am planning an adjustable cheek rest on my stock. I am waiting to order it until I have verified I need it. No sense in having something I paid for and no use. I have enough of that stuff on the shelf already! :roll:

Ads