Sierra or Nosler?

Sierra or Nosler?

This is a discussion on Sierra or Nosler? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Im thinking about getting into reloading. from what i've been told Sierra and Nosler make the finest round's. i can't decide what to go with. ...

Sierra or Nosler?

Im thinking about getting into reloading. from what i've been told Sierra and Nosler make the finest round's. i can't decide what to go with. i'm realitivly new to the whole scene and i willing to listen/read what ever is said. at this point im trying to get a genral cencus if you will of what is popular/liked. and effective. any and all input is greaty appreciated. thanks

like i said i pretty new. and yes i was talking just bullets.im looking for stability in flight, and somethin that's just flat moven. im an avid hunter, and im trying to get into the target scene. seeing how deer and elk season don't last all year. that's why im trying to get as much info as i can.

I run Seirra MK in my bush LR rig but will be running either berger or HBC (Aust made) in my F-Class rifle. If you wanna be serious, I'd start looking at spending the extra on bergers and alike as its the consistency your paying for. Id run lapua Scenar if I was sure my 13T would run them. They are a long bullet and probably wont stabalise im thinking but will try anyway. Lapua and Berger are very nice bullets to look at

It really depends what your looking at shooting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Lots of choices. How about telling us more about your rifle. Caliber, model, what kind of range you want to shoot, targets, hunting, etc.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

I shoot a lot of different calibers, but mainly at about 500 yards max. In my 308, I use 168 gr target bullets from Hornady, Sierra, and Nosler, and they are all excellent performers for target work at that range. If you wanted to shoot at longer range, you'll probably want to step up to a 175-178 gr bullet.
    Last edited by desert ghost; 03-17-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Sierra has an annoying tendency to drop everything when the government places orders. Now don't get me wrong--we need to see our troops supplied, and supplied well. But when these orders from big bubbah come, you can kiss the supply of Sierra bullets good bye until that order is filled. This has become more of a problem in recent years, as the government is piling up seemingly more ammo that at any time in history...

Simply offering my opinion here, but I believe that Sierra should set aside a certain amount of production to keep their regular customers able to get what they normally buy, rather than simply saying "once our contract with the military is filled then we'll get back to producing these bullets for the general public." This is something I've been personally told by one of Sierra's techs, and it was sad news to hear.

I love Sierra's bullets... and I use them a lot, and will likely continue to use them when I can find them... however...

I've been gravitating more and more toward Hornady bullets, and Noslers as well. Sierra has recently made another price hike in their bullet line, this time seemingly without the excuse of high copper prices (they've not increased that significantly since the last increase was blamed on that)... Hornady did not commensurately increase their prices during that time, which is when I first began to use more Hornady bullets. And with me, this trend is increasing...

Dan

I have noticed the same thing. I have been getting Sierras on a spotty, hit or miss basis, but Hornadys are unobtainium. I actually prefer the Hornadys, but will take what I can get. In southern Arizona right now, you are lucky to even find bullets in the correct caliber, let alone having weight and brand choices. Powder and primers are in even worse supply.
    Last edited by desert ghost; 03-17-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    It takes 47 muscles to scowl, and only 17 to smile. Proper trigger squeeze takes 3. Relax, and go with it.

it's the domino effect... Hornady has been hit harder than ever because of the deficit in Sierra's production line, but that is a guess, of course... demand is really huge right now, on all brands of bullets. Hopefully this thing will settle down in another month or two... or three...

I shoot a .308. out of a savage model 11, and .30-30 ont of a savage 325. im considering purchasing a "plinker". was thinking a .17HMR. becouse im unable to find any .22's. but there's 17 ammo everyware. would hornady be a good choice for that as well? or should i stick with cci?
    Mailman

Ruger American .223win
    Savage MKII .22LR, M11-.308win
    M94 30WCF
    M1896 CG Mauser 6.5x55SE
    Moss 500A 12G
    Rem. 1100 12G
    Ithaca flues 16G
    etc....

"Do I look, like a man with a plan?"- The Joker

Ads