"target" vs "tactical" style rifles for long range/f class

This is a discussion on "target" vs "tactical" style rifles for long range/f class within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; short version: target and F class shooters at club i went to use single shot sport rifles, they highly recommend them, i was planning a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

short version: target and F class shooters at club i went to use single shot sport rifles, they highly recommend them, i was planning a tactical/practical style rifle with some upgrades id like and more further down, is there any major difference between style or can you do the same job equally between these options.

Hey all, i was once again pondering at 5.45 in the AM here in australia after yesterday at the range and asking heaps of question only to think of more.

now as the title states thats the question i know alot of you hunt with those tactical/practical rifles or maybe just like them? but at the range the guys all shot single action omark/sportco style rifles, foresight and peep and all the jazz, one f class shooter was there same rifle except a large scope on top for the F open class.i did gleam you can shoot anything you want aslong as you only hand feed the rounds and thats all well and good no problem with that,

what i want to know is, is there an advantage to a long heavy and beefy target style rifle and action?

the club guns i fired did so very well for me but i found the action not smooth, very stiff and you had to apply some pressure to unhinge it and expell the spent cartridge in some cases. it could just be their age? being club guns and just well worn? but the tikka action i fell in love with at the store smooth as silk and im sure if you trued the action would be just as good and solid same with a remmington or winchester to smooth out the factory hiccups etc.

now thats my take on it they were adamant a good single shot omark style bolt used or otherwise would probably be a better option. can i follow what i would want to do and build a tactical style rifle?

(for reference my idea of what i would want would be a trued remmington action smoothed out, a big heavy barreled police oor sps or pss whatever letters they use to decribe it now or heavy varmint barrel and an aftermarket or modified trigger, break at 2 pound of pressure, bedded nicely in a mcmillan m40a1 stock or a2 stock)(i would go tikka but the ejection port i beleive is to small to load through, please correct if im wrong?)

thanks! joe!
    Those who live by the sword get shot by those who dont.

OK , Hi Bud ,

I am a shooter in New Zealand , so sort of close to you , almost .

Anyway , I thought I would pass on my 2 cents , RE yuor Qs , I would NOT get a Omark ever , why , because they are 1 ) very old ( and the barrel will be shot out , routed ) , 2) they are not re-barreled easy , as they bolt locks into the barrel & not the action , which is totally different to most others .

Re the actions , really although I know you WANT a repeater , I would go the single shot action , why , the actions are very strong/smooth & have good triggers , about the only thing you may need is a new barrel if the one in place is buggered , you will find you can reload the single shot bolt action very fast anyway .
    So I would buy a used target rifle ie , like a Barnard action , and just use the scope you want too .

Or buy a new AI AT rifle if you want a 10rd mag feed repeater , those are virtually ALL I would reccomend , the AI AT rifle is cheaper than the AW version , and has basically the same specs , so good deal , you will not better the rifle in its price point .

By the time you customise a rem700 rifle to want you want , you will have spent the same or MORE than just ordering a AI AT rifle , and the Rem will never work as well or as reialably as the AI rifle , which uses a excellent 10rd double feed/stack mag , they are soo smooth , that 1st time users think the bolt has not chambered a round at all , and when they check expecting to see nothing has been chmabered , that they are ejecting a live chambered round .

Do some more research before jumping in , I am sure the guys will lend you a club rifle or one of thiers while you start out , as long as you pay for the ammo used , until you can make a better informed decision RE what rifle you want to buy/use etc .

Later Chris

We have several customers doing very well with their DTA's in F-class. We've cut several custom 30" barrels in 6.5CM, 260rem, and 308. With a DTA, you can run a 30" 1.250" straight fluted barrel and not have it feel like a howitzer you're carrying around. They are extremely fast, and exceedingly forgiving.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

DTA's? not familiar with that term orkan xD.

and chris where would i source an AI rifle? i have seen no registered dealers here in aus after afew searches

Quote Originally Posted by water_au View Post
    DTA's? not familiar with that term orkan xD.
    Well sir, I'm honored to introduce you. This is a DTA. Switch caliber bullpup bolt action rifle. The shortest and most adaptable bolt rifles on planet earth. I'd say most accurate as well, but that's hard to quantify.

If you're interested, give me a call, PM, or email any time.

okran beat me to it.

Love those rifles. I've not shot one yet, but man those are sexy.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

pm'd definately interested xD i will say i still find a standard rifle more attrackive visually but thats attractive visually in a whole other way haha hard to quantify!

First off, F-Class is only shot as single shot, so even if you have a 10 round mag, you still hand load one at a time so it really doesn't matter.

If you are going to shoot a .308, then you will be competing in F-T/R (tactical rifle) class and the weight and rests requirements are different. You can compete with 20" barrel as long as it's not a cheap worn out piece. Would you do better with a 24" or 26"? Maybe - how well do you shoot?

If you are not shooting .308, then you may find yourself in the equipment war scenario. On the other hand, you can use a tactical rifle for a lot of stuff the guys with the super guns can't. You decide.

Besides, I look at competition as structured practice and my goal is to become a better shooter. If I do well against others, that's a plus, but I'm mainly competing against myself.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

Quote Originally Posted by gsmithplm View Post
    First off, F-Class is only shot as single shot, so even if you have a 10 round mag, you still hand load one at a time so it really doesn't matter.

If you are going to shoot a .308, then you will be competing in F-T/R (tactical rifle) class and the weight and rests requirements are different. You can compete with 20" barrel as long as it's not a cheap worn out piece. Would you do better with a 24" or 26"? Maybe - how well do you shoot?

If you are not shooting .308, then you may find yourself in the equipment war scenario. On the other hand, you can use a tactical rifle for a lot of stuff the guys with the super guns can't. You decide.

Besides, I look at competition as structured practice and my goal is to become a better shooter. If I do well against others, that's a plus, but I'm mainly competing against myself.
    Not trying to contradict but in Australia, the F-Class does not mean F-T/R. Here there are 3 different types of F-Class: F-Standard, F-T/R and F-Open.

F-Standard is .223 (69 or 80 grain projectiles) and .308 (155 grain projectiles) ONLY. Any type of base goes, including the 20 KG (44 lbs unlimited benchrest's front rest, can shoot off the shoulder or off a bag) as long as the rifle, bolt and the optics is below 10 kg (22 lbs).
    F-T/R - is the standard international F-T/R rules (I think)
    F-Open - bring whatever you can/want/have as long as the range can accommodate it.
    Savage 12 FTR .308 with Nightforce Benchrest 12-42x50
    Sportco Omark M44 .308 with Tasco 10-40x40
    CZ 452 American 22LR with Tasco 6-24x40

For future acquisitions:
    Walther P22 and/or Smith & Wesson 22S 22lr

I was unaware that the rules down-under were different. Shows you what I know (and don't).

In the US, when I hear people refer to F-Class, they are mainly speaking about fixed distance 600yd and 1000yd. F-Class
    If you are shooting a .223 or .308 in this, they you will likely be shooting an F-T/R rifle.

The 155gr bullet matches here are generally Palma matches Rules and Tips for Palma Rifle Shooting in the USA.

We also have something called Across the Course (NRA High Power) which is multi-distance and position. http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/li...urse-Shooting-
    Last edited by gsmithplm; 02-24-2014 at 02:35 PM.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads