Building a target gun need some help on round selection

This is a discussion on Building a target gun need some help on round selection within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello, I have been delving into the arguments and debates about best ammo for 500 - 1500 target shooting, for whatever reason i still can't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Building a target gun need some help on round selection

Hello,
    I have been delving into the arguments and debates about best ammo for 500 - 1500 target shooting, for whatever reason i still can't seems to choose a round. Most of the rounds i'm looking at can effectively hit those ranges, and i understand that platform and shooter has a lot to do with the outcome.

I am trying to build a gun that shoot 800 yard effective, but can be pushed out to 1100 yards with some work and hopefully if at all possible to around 1500. I plan on using this gun in mountain ranges for target shooting mostly; climate is hot,dry, and lots of cross winds. I'm also trying to find my way into long range precision shooting competitions with this gun. I plan on putting around 1000 - 1500 rounds a year through the barrel, and i really don't mind changing barrels often.... just how often. I'm looking to make a removable magazine, bolt action setup.The rounds i'm really looking at are 6.5x284/6.5Cm/.308/.300wm. I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place on these rounds, every time i decide on a round to get i see something that makes me reconsider it. I'm hoping someone can persuade me into a certain round so i can pull the trigger and be done with this build. I've never owned any of these calibers so i don't know what to expect pro's and con's wise, but any help would be appreciated. thanks

I have a 300 Win Mag and a 260 Remington; I have taken them both to PRS style matches. If competitions are in your future, a 6.5 Creedmore, 260 Remington, 6.5/284, and even a 7mm SAUM are good calibers for such. My reasoning comes two fold. (1) Most guys at competitions shoot a 6 or a 6.5 caliber so the targets are set to those ranges, 100-850 yards with very few further. (2) Shot cycles are set to as much as 15 rounds under time pressure with targets at various ranges. For instance, shoot 3 rounds at the 257 yard target, 4 rounds at the 715 target, 5 rounds at the 100 yard target, then remaining rounds at the 4 targets at 815 yards... With a 300 Win Mag, the recoil makes it much more difficult to fire then transition to other targets in a reasonable time. Plus the long action takes more time to cycle. If targets started at 1000 or so then the 300 Win may shine but as of late, 60% of targets are in the 400-600 range. The 260 or Creedmoor will get to 1500 but will be much more difficult than the 300 Win. Now to barrel life. With the 300 Win you are looking at 2500 rounds MAX, 1700 is more the norm. 260 et al, will give you in the 3500 range minus the big ones, 6.5/284, 6.5/06. Changing barrels is no big deal if you can do it yourself but waiting on a gunsmith becomes a pain in the back side. The 308 Win is decent but if you are going to reload, the 6 or 6.5's are nearly identical with much much better BC. IMO.....

My vote would be for the 260. Good selection of brass and bullets. I use 139 Lapuas and Berger 140 hybrids. Good accuracy out to 1350. Haven't shot at 1500 lately but should be no problem.
    Another good one is the 7-08. No experience but has a lot of fans. Good selection of bullets like the A-max 162 and Berger's 168 VLD.
    I also shoot the 284 Winchester. I've gotten out to 1600+ with 168 Berger's . Only downside is hard to find brass and to get good OAL, it needs a long action. Plus it's not ideal if your going to do tactical matches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I had a feeling the 300wm would have a very short barrel life, it sounds like the others have a pretty close amount of shots before i have to rebarrel. I kept getting pushed towards .308 only because of how common everything is and easy it is to find anything you want. I had considered the 7-08 but the brass is hard to find sometimes, not really a problem i guess if i just keep a good enough stock. i don't mind running long actions in matches really i'd rather shoot at my pace, but who knows i might enough something like that. I think though i'll start looking into .260 and a bit harder at 6.5Cm, does anyone have any barrel recommendations & load reccomendations? I see a lot of 6.5/.260 barreled around 26" with a 1-8T.

Quote Originally Posted by dragoon210c View Post
    I am trying to build a gun that shoot 800 yard effective,
    Practically any cartridge can do 800 including 223.

but can be pushed out to 1100 yards
    175 SMK 308 in a 20" barrel

[QUOTE]with some work and hopefully if at all possible to around 1500.

7 mm 08 is fine to 1500,
    you can push 6.5s to similar distances,
    light-to-moderate recoil,
    pretty long barrel life,
    brass is available by necking up (243) or down (308).

I plan on using this gun in mountain ranges for target shooting mostly; climate is hot,dry, and lots of cross winds. I'm also trying to find my way into long range precision shooting competitions with this gun. I plan on putting around 1000 - 1500 rounds a year through the barrel, and i really don't mind changing barrels often.... just how often. I'm looking to make a removable magazine, bolt action setup.The rounds i'm really looking at are 6.5x284/6.5Cm/.308/.300wm. I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place on these rounds, every time i decide on a round to get i see something that makes me reconsider it. I'm hoping someone can persuade me into a certain round so i can pull the trigger and be done with this build. I've never owned any of these calibers so i don't know what to expect pro's and con's wise, but any help would be appreciated. thanks
    The absolute capabilities of the 6.5 mm and 7mm bullets are very similar.
    So, you could just flip a coin and have done with it.

Ya that's what I've been noticing, think I've got my build setup.
    6.5 creedmoor
    #11 or #12 palma Bartlein Barrel 26" 1-8T
    Manners MCS-T5A or AICS 1.5 stock
    Jewell Trigger 1.5'
    Surgeon 591/R action
    AWC PSR brake

i'm going to try loading 140gr berger with H4350 or hybrid and probably start at 40gr.....
    if anyone see's anything i could do better with the load or the rifle please let me know. This is my first ground up build so i'm a little sketchy on some things.

I grew up shooting .308 and 30-06, took a decade or two away and came back to all these new fangled calibers. Just did a 6.5 creedmoor build to get back into long range shooting.

If you break down the scores/caliber of those PRS events, almost everyone is going to 6.5 or 6.0 (majority of the higher scorers going toward 6.0) which I think speaks volumes about where modern calibers are going.

I did 6.5 because the builder recommended it. Said the smaller bullet (6.0) -tho marginally more accurate- is going out with greater force and thus the barrel life is only abt 60 to 70% that of the 6.5.

also, I've found a good variety of bullets and recommended powders to mix and match and tune things in.

(Just made up 12 round blocks of 120gr, 123 gr and 140gr A-MAXs to try this weekend...)

let me know how it turns out, i'm trying to price out loads and start getting my load charts built for this setup. Also what powder are you running? i see most people running the H4350, but i've seen some people running RL 17 but they say it can be kinda risky, Hybrid 100 is another good one i heard and superformance was another. I only have bunches of H1000 or retumbo so i have to find a powder for this.

Don't Know if this will help with your decision but its good reading

Rifle Calibers ? What The Pros Use | PrecisionRifleBlog.com
    its good to see what the winners are using

I have a .260 Remington now shoots great as long as I do my part installed, like it better then my .308 ...just personal preference

now building a 6mmbr, wish I went with the 6mm creedmor instead, looks like that's the hot setup now
    Have a Savage Target action and a shilen barrel looking to get Bell and Carlson a5 stock for it

i had peeked at that while working on my choices, it really helped to narrow the field but still left a bunch of questions. I have a bunch of co-workers that are getting 6.5CM being able to swap load data with them kinda puched me to the 6.5. I still want to make a .260 but i think i'll piece one together over time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads