Remington 700 Detachable Magazine Base Metal Kits in .223

This is a discussion on Remington 700 Detachable Magazine Base Metal Kits in .223 within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi guys, this is my first post and i'd like to say that i'm loving this forum so far! I've got a Remington 700 VTR ...

Hi guys, this is my first post and i'd like to say that i'm loving this forum so far!

I've got a Remington 700 VTR in short action .223 held in store while my waiting period clears, and i'm looking at detachable magazine base metal kits.

I'm looking at the Surgeon Precision kit and the Wyatt's outdoors kit in particular. I have looked at the PTG, Badger, CDI and HS precision kits but would rather the Wyatt's or the surgeon. The cost isn't a factor.

I love the look of the surgeon kit and how on both the Wyatt's and surgeon kits the mag release won't get caught on anything but I HATE those polymer Accuracy International magazines and I don't know how much I like those accurate-mag mags with the inserts.

I'd much rather have a metal mag than plastic or polymer.

The Surgeon DM kit uses Accuracy International or Accurate Mag magazines but the Wyatt's only uses their own mags. (This doesn't really bother me as the Wyatt's are good quality and metal and i'll only probably buy 4 mags, 2 of each size and then never need to buy them again) but i like the way the Surgeon kit protrudes from the stock more and funnels the mag into the receiver for faster reload times.

Does anyone know if someone is doing a double stack for the .223??

On top of that the Accuracy International mags only come in 10 round where the wyatts comes in 4 and 10.

Another point to consider is can a different caliber's metal magazine kit be modified to accept .223 rounds to give me the best of both worlds?

I also want to know what you guys have and how happy you are with it.

So; after the huge spiel, what do you guys think is the better option?

Surgeon should be head and shoulders the better option. I have a surgeon (albeit on a 260) and love it, but I don't have experience with wyatts so can't help there.

I have seen a DBM for rem 700 that uses pmags. I can't remember who made it and don't know about quality, but if it were built well the pmags are great.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

IF cost isn't a factor, then get one that uses AICS magazines. The Wyatt is a good low budget choice but it isn't as well built. The HS Precision also uses it's own mags.

As for the rest, Surgeon, PTG, Badger, and CDI are all well made. One thing to bear in mind is that the stock has to be inlet for any of these (the Wyatt is the exception), so you are going to have to find a gunsmith to do the work and the inlet patterns are a bit different for the Surgeon (I think) than the others.

CDI will do their own inletting, which makes them a decent choice if you don't have anyone local.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I'm quite handy and can do inletting at a pinch but I know of at least one local gunsmith who should be able to do it for me.

I definitely prefer the surgeon base metal but I hate the polymer mag, I have looked into the pmag but since the p is for polymer and I'm after metal that crosses them off the list.

What other brands of magazine are there if I go with the surgeon base metal?
    Remington 700 CDL SF 7mm-08
    ~Shilen Premium Matchgrade Barrel
    ~Meopta Meopro 6-18x50 Scope
    ~Trued Action
    ~M16 Extractor
    ~1/4" Recoil Lug
    ~Brownells Ultralight Firing Pin
    ~Magpul Hunter 700 FDE SA Stock
    ~Magpul Hunter 700 DBM Kit
    ~Accurate Mag 5rd Magazines

why do you not like poly mags? have you seen torture tests done to the high quality poly mags? they actually hold up better than the metal ones. I used to be of the same school of thought. I didn't want polymer mags, but now I won't own a metal mag for my ar's. Accuracy International will not put their name on something that is not high quality. I would much rather a poly AI mag than an off brand or discount brand metal mag. Is it just the fact that the mag is made out of polymer or do you have actual first hand experience as to why you hate the AI mags?
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

I suppose it's mostly just a case of "how long will it last?" with the polymer vs metal. I would expect a metal mag to last a lifetime.

Plus I don't like the look of the AI polymer mags, to me they don't look businessy enough, more like a toy. I don't mean that as an insult but they are not to my taste.

I'm looking at the accurate mag with the inserts again at least its metal. Maybe i'll go with those...
    Remington 700 CDL SF 7mm-08
    ~Shilen Premium Matchgrade Barrel
    ~Meopta Meopro 6-18x50 Scope
    ~Trued Action
    ~M16 Extractor
    ~1/4" Recoil Lug
    ~Brownells Ultralight Firing Pin
    ~Magpul Hunter 700 FDE SA Stock
    ~Magpul Hunter 700 DBM Kit
    ~Accurate Mag 5rd Magazines

Typically polymer mags outlast metal mags. I know that sounds strange but it is true.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Ads