XLR Element

XLR Element

This is a discussion on XLR Element within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Well as anyone who has ever read one of my posts knows I have an addiction to chassis. I have or had about all of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: XLR Element

XLR Element

Well as anyone who has ever read one of my posts knows I have an addiction to chassis. I have or had about all of them, and much like optics, have a tendency to run one and then move on. My optic issue was solved when Night Force released the ATACR and I found "my" favorite optic. The chassis thing continued but the AICS was always my go to, until now. I have a few XLR chassis but I prefer a flat forend over the tube and was still looking for something even lighter. The AICS with my over sized barrel and ATACR is a pig to haul and soot off hand so I was looking to shave about 2 pounds. When the Element came out it was up against the KRG X-Ray and I happened to be at SHOT last year and grabbed the X-Ray. It was nice, light and great ergonomics, but it still just didn't feel as good as my XLR's or the AICS so I flipped that to. And that brings us to the Element.

I contacted Kyle at XLR for my third chassis (already ran the Evolution on a Howa and FN SPR) and the stock end was my favorite design by far. Like I said I only wanted to shave weight and have a flat forend and the Element seems to meet the requirements so I ordered it and five days later it showed up on my door. No wait, direct shipped! Got to love that. Anyway out of the box I could tell it would meet both needs as it is light! My bathroom scale gave me a weight of 3.6 pounds so give or take a few ounces it was 2 pounds lighter then the AICS.

I decided on the folder for ease of cleaning more then a need to have a folder and the folding mechanism locks like a drum and folds away very easy. I have played with a lot of folding stocks and this is the best mechanism I have seen. There is NO wobble at all in the stock. I also had the side rail attachments for various gizmos we use and the rails are solid and machined to tolerance, all our toys fit perfect.

The ergonomics are the same as my other XLR's and there is a new lighter but stock but I went with the one I knew I loved so not much to report there. The but stock has more adjustments then a Transformer so it will fit any user. It is not tool-less but I have not had much issues needing to adjust much once I have everything set unless I am in my heavy body armor. I keel the tool in my vest and have put paint marks where I need for a faster adjustment. I tested my time and even with needing the wrench it only took about 40 seconds to adjust so not a huge time issue.

As I have been shooting daily the last 8 months I increased my daily from a cold bore and a five round group to anywhere from 6-20 rounds and last week for our trainign session we were doing movers using a variety of shooting positions and the Element did its job without a single issue. It was much more comfortable then the AICS, lighter and with the pig skin barricade pad was stable in all platforms.

Bottom line, I love this chassis and with the new NV mount coming out soon I'll be able to use it for our night range in Feb so this chassis has no real limitations. Like all gear this is not the best option for everyone. Chassis like optics, bipods, packs etc. are not a "best" for everyone. I like MOA, SFP and the NF ATACR is "my" best optic. I have FFP, mil optics too and use them all the time, I just love everything about my ATACR so it is "my" best. This chassis is the same. It fits all my needs so if your list is close to mine and your on the fence I would give it a try. If you don't like it let me know because I have three other guys on my team that are about to swap out of the AICS and would gladly grab it off you.

Bottom like, its not just sexy its functional.

Sully

20150119_160854_resized.jpg20150119_160859_resized.jpg20150119_160908_resized.jpg20150119_160937_resized.jpg20150119_160941_resized.jpg
    Last edited by sulcop; 01-19-2015 at 06:37 PM.
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath.

I tried one of these out on a buddy of mines rifle. Definitly not for every one. There is no way I would ditch my AIAW for one of these. But very nice review and I am sure like me others are glad you have found a good fit.

Are you sponsored by XLR?
    Cheers,

Nutt

Hidden Content

My understanding is that the AIAW action would not fit another chassis system, but I may be wrong. I get chassis for other rifles, if I had the AIAW I would only replace the skins with the pistol grip or Viper Skins. An no, lol, other then the standard MIL/LE discount I pay full price for all my gear.

Sully
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

The AIAW is bonded to the chassis anyway, and only AI is supposed to remove it. Nutt's AIAW isn't much anyway...

I had an XLR Evolution chassis while I waited on my Sentinel. I think I'd have liked the Element more, I prefer a flatter bottom and no tube over the barrel.
    -Jamie

Glad to hear you like the Element chassis. I just picked on up the other day. Trying to decide if I want to cerakote it or just rattle can camo it. I intended on just leaving it black but after seeing a couple (and now yours) painted/coated I really want to do that. I'm glad to hear the folding mechanism is solid. I was trying to decide if I needed one.

Hey Sully, you ever heard of PDC Customs? Craig worked up a real decent price quote for my Howa.

PDC Custom | Custom Precision Rifle Chassis

Attached Images Attached Images
    Win94ae likes this.

I have seen the PDC but didn't like the gen I but the new Gen III's look sweet. I saw he has a Howa action and I think I am going to pick one up. Did you get yours yet?

Sully

Quote Originally Posted by sulcop View Post
    I have seen the PDC but didn't like the gen I but the new Gen III's look sweet. I saw he has a Howa action and I think I am going to pick one up. Did you get yours yet?

Sully
    I did not pull the trigger on it due to recent finances not being where I was expecting. They did end up with a decent price though. And hopefully in the next couple months I can follow up. IF get your hands on one for your Howa, keep us posted!

20150110_152512.jpg
    I Have 4 PDC stocks. Craig is a good guy and easy to work with. I have long action Rem 700, short action 700, The MKII pictured with the pup standing guard, and a custom Hart 1A action 6mm..All of the guns are shooters and the fit and finish has been excellent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quackhead69 likes this.

IMG_5357 (1024x683).jpg

This is my setup Rem 700 26 inch Rock creek 5R match barrel Nightforce ATACR and LRA FTR bipod. It is a folder which help in the cleaning

20150117_092150 (819x1024).jpg

This is a 300 yard target from last weekend it took a few rounds but I finally got it in the X ring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads