Need some help on AR10 6mm creedmoor feeding issues

This is a discussion on Need some help on AR10 6mm creedmoor feeding issues within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; We decided to take on the project of building a 6mm creedmoor AR10. Everything was going fine. The barrel contouring, fitting the gas block and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beshooter

Thread: Need some help on AR10 6mm creedmoor feeding issues

We decided to take on the project of building a 6mm creedmoor AR10. Everything was going fine. The barrel contouring, fitting the gas block and extension. The chamber is cut and the go gauge fits.
    The problem is the bullet is getting hung up on the extension lugs.
    It looks like the tip of the 105 berger is hitting just under the bore and bullet is getting chewed up by the lugs. And of course it's jamming instead of loading the round into the chamber.
    Any recommendations on how to remedy this problem would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyric View Post
    We decided to take on the project of building a 6mm creedmoor AR10. Everything was going fine. The barrel contouring, fitting the gas block and extension. The chamber is cut and the go gauge fits.
    It looks like the tip of the 105 berger is hitting just under the bore and bullet is getting chewed up by the lugs. And of course it's jamming instead of loading the round into the chamber.
    I wish I had clue..If I had to guess, it sounds like 1 of three things. feed ramp burr, magazine, or cartridge oal. Does it happen on both ramps, or just the first round on a full mag?
    Also, since many AR-10's are not proprietary, are you sure you have the right magazine for the rifle? DPMS patterned are most common.
    Last edited by Quackhead69; 02-02-2015 at 05:37 AM.

Yup sounds like the feed ramps need to be leveled and polished.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem? I am experiencing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyric View Post
    I joined this forum just to answer this question. The reason you (and mine) AR-10 in 6mm CR has a feed issue is that the 6mm bullet fits partially between the bolt lug cutout on the feed ramp - simple as that. the ramp doesn't elevate the bullet high enough to miss the back of the breech. i'm about to experiment with metal mags to see if this 'fixes' the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead69 View Post
    I wish I had clue..If I had to guess, it sounds like 1 of three things. feed ramp burr, magazine, or cartridge oal. Does it happen on both ramps, or just the first round on a full mag?
    Also, since many AR-10's are not proprietary, are you sure you have the right magazine for the rifle? DPMS patterned are most common.
    I've had problems feeding with my 6.5CM AR when I fill up my 10 round Mag with 10 rounds. I pulled one out and it fed just fine. I have an Aero Upper and Lower and a Shilen barrel. FYI I tried Hex Mags and my AR did not like them. They would not lock in place as well as the Magpul.

Answered elsewhere I had 6CM Wilson Combat AR10. it was cycling but serving back the bullet, or it just jam into lungs or barrel face, took pics showed WC, they immediately said to send it back, no feed ramp, barrel to needs recut, Hopefully WC will send it back with the wow factor everything running fine, its accurate even seating back bullet, .7 groups only using 107smks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Photo of jam

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Great Photo!
    tric3imagery likes this.

Ads