5r or custom 700 - Page 4

5r or custom 700

This is a discussion on 5r or custom 700 within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I don't think anyone has said OP can't handle a .300WM..I see a lot of valid points being made. Can we look at this from ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 5r or custom 700

I don't think anyone has said OP can't handle a .300WM..I see a lot of valid points being made. Can we look at this from a statistical data standpoint for a minute? If the .300 WinMag was the best LR round out there as far as functionality and shot to shot repeatability, the Pro's would be using it. They don't. You have a hunting rifle. You want a LR target rifle. You reload. Look at what the Professionals use:
    Rifle Calibers ? What The Pros Use | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

I have always found and this is by people smarter then me,
    the military always uses the best at any cost,
    why are they going to 300 wins from 308 and not 6 or 6.5mm?

Chris Kyle? what would he say if he was around to say,
    what he carried 30 cal. or 338 something must be better.
    I take things and make them better

I stuck with a .30 cal because I can find 30's in abundance. Also my friends and I shoot 300 win and 308. There are better options to shoot at distances beyond 1k, but I chose to stick with a round that was more familiar to me and my friends. I don't know why anyone else would choose 300 win or 308, but these are just some of the reasons why I chose it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Attachment 5343
    Quote Originally Posted by superman1216 View Post
    Regardless of how heavy you make a 300 win mag, it is still hard to manage the recoil. My 300 wm weighs 15-17 lbs and it still doesn't matter. My shoulder bruises every time I go shoot.
    My point, I'm 69 years old and pushing 70. I' still shooting my Rem 700 P 300 Win Mag. One of my loads is 200 SMK that I use for the mile. The weight is pushing 16 lbs. Now after about 40 + rounds then I start to feel it. This is what A old man did. Have to say it works great.

Big screw up.
    Last edited by SatCong; 02-15-2015 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Attachment 5343 My point, I'm 69 years old and pushing 70. I' still shooting my Rem 700 P 300 Win Mag. One of my loads is 200 SMK that I use for the mile. The weight is pushing 16 lbs. Now after about 40 + rounds then I start to feel it. This is what A old man did. Have to say it works great.
    I'm waiting on my thunder beast brake. Should be here soon.

After reading this I'm smiling,,and scratching my head. Seems most here want you to shoot what they want you to shoot. If I may offer an observation. Shoot what suits you. 3006, 300wm, all have strengths, and weaknesses. I've got at least one of each in the long range locker, and enjoy shooting them all.

I use to use VIAS breaks, and found them to be the best of the best. However they use an odd thread pitch, which generally isn't compatable with anything else on the market, for can consideration down the road.

The 1/2 MOA VS Sub MOA, crowd always amuses me. Unless you got a junker from the get go, your driving the rifle, YOU are the one defining your definition of shot groups, and have the physical ability to max the rifles capabilities.

Nobody here is trying to steer you down the wrong path. Everybody here has a picture in their heads as to, how the rifle should work, and look.

In the past 30 years I've seen this same conversation happen thousands of times, sometimes to the point it paralyses a fairly new shooter into not shooting.

My observation is this. Find what your comfortable with, price wise, and bullet size. Buildit, OR buy it, and go shoot. Have fun with it, learn about the rifle, from the rifle. Just have fun.

Best of luck to you.

PussyCat

Quote Originally Posted by trapperjack1 View Post
    I have always found and this is by people smarter then me,
    the military always uses the best at any cost,
    why are they going to 300 wins from 308 and not 6 or 6.5mm?

Chris Kyle? what would he say if he was around to say,
    what he carried 30 cal. or 338 something must be better.
    I hate to tell you bud, but you have been vastly misinformed. I can tell you from nearly a decade of logistics experience for the military, that they DO NOT use the best of ANYTHING for ANY cost... They use whatever is most cost effective from a financial standpoint. If they can save a few cents at the cost of my life, they will. Cartridges amoung the .30 cal line are cheaper to build and supply on a mass production plan. Also, .300 WM's carries more energy (killing power) throughout the ballistic chart... That has NOTHING to do with accuracy or trajectory, which is the only 2 things amoung the 3 that matter in target shooting... It doesn't matter how hard your round hits a piece of paper as long as it consistently hits it in the same spot. The military ONLY uses the "fabled" Schmidt & Bender and Leopold scopes merely because they got it at the cheapest contract, having nothing to do with being "the best"...

You can believe military uses "the best" if you want, while guys I know operating in the field would give their left nut to be operating with my rifle... But just know that by keeping that mindset, you are 100% wrong
    "Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."
    - Proverbs 17:28, KJV

Our government is far more concerned with providing tax returns to the illegal immigrants that didn't pay taxes this year, then they are concerned with providing "the best" to our military...
    "Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."
    - Proverbs 17:28, KJV

Thats about it in a nutshell. well said Ark89.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Ads