Savage Axis Heavy Barrel

Savage Axis Heavy Barrel

This is a discussion on Savage Axis Heavy Barrel within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Does anyone have experience with the new heavy barrel axis? Seems to be pretty new. Savage has a $50 rebate through 6/31. I paid $324otd, ...

Savage Axis Heavy Barrel

Does anyone have experience with the new heavy barrel axis? Seems to be pretty new. Savage has a $50 rebate through 6/31. I paid $324otd, so once I get my rebate $274 for a hb rifle. It doesn't come with the accutrigger but I plan to get the 3lb spring to replace the factory 6#. How should I break this in for long range shooting?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mathew

I have a Axis without the HB. Just FYI, its not a super accurate rifle. If you want to just fling lead down range and hit some steel or water jugs, its fine. Just don't expect to print tiny one hole groups with it. But if your looking for a inexpensive range toy, its not a bad rifle.

As far as breaking it in, clean it really well before you shoot it. Go to the range, put 20 rounds through it. Bring it home and clean it really well again. DONE.

Yes the trigger spring will help, but so will a little polish on the sear. To really get the most from that rifle, you'll need to put it in a new stock, pillar bed it, ad a decent one piece scope base, rings, and spend double on a scope than you did the gun.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

My main goal is to hit a body size target at 500yd. I'm new to long range shooting, but my axis 223 non hb would hit clay pigeons at 200yd. I figured if I can squeeze that out of a non heavy barrel this would do for what I want. I'm saving up for a better scope and stock. For now it's just going to be what I learn <500yd with.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

That should nit be a problem. At 500 yards you should be able to hit a 8" disc easily. Clay pigeons are more of a challenge at 500, but is still doable.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

My Axis in 22-250 with a Timney Trigger shoots cloverleafs on paper all day long at 100 yards.....the bull barrel model should do even better! I bought it to be a "behind the seat" rifle, so that works good for me. I'm sure at 200 yards and more the groups will open, it's only got a "pencil" barrel on it.
    Last edited by EvilVaquero; 06-06-2015 at 12:24 PM. Reason: add'l info.

The only thing I didn't like about my 223 was the trigger and the hb has the same. But I found the 3# trigger so I'm hoping that and a polish will help the trigger pull thus accuracy. For 274otd after the rebate, it's hard to argue with though. Once I get to the range I'll add to this. Just hoping someone has tried the hb before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgardewine View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the new heavy barrel axis? Seems to be pretty new. Savage has a $50 rebate through 6/31. I paid $324otd, so once I get my rebate $274 for a hb rifle. It doesn't come with the accutrigger but I plan to get the 3lb spring to replace the factory 6#. How should I break this in for long range shooting?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mathew
    A host of issues with Savage as well as some Tikka T3 rifles can be resolved by either doing a bedding job, or better still getting a Bell and Carlson stock for it with the full length aluminum block. Even then I would suggest epoxy bedding it.

What's the easiest way to bed a rifle?

There are lots of great videos on YouTube.
    Know yourself, know your weapon, know your enemy.

Ads