The Steyr Scout? Opinions.

This is a discussion on The Steyr Scout? Opinions. within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Ok, I know that the steyr scout is, more of a 'scouting' rifle than a long range rifle, but what are everyones thoughts on it? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok, I know that the steyr scout is, more of a 'scouting' rifle than a long range rifle, but what are everyones thoughts on it?

And what are everyone's thoughts on the mounting of the scope further forward than traditionally is accepted?

Just wanting to nkow, because - well, I want a rifle when I get me somewhere to store the damned thing (no WAY I could store it in the house, family would kill me, probably with it...) but I dont want/need one for 600m+ shots, and couldn't even justify buying one for those pruposes, but still, Iron sights I don't think are quite right, and the scout seems an adequate compromise. (talking hunting on farmland.)

thanks everyone....

You can get a version of the Scout with a more standard scope mount.

They also come in that .376 Steyr round.

Quote Originally Posted by Yimmy
    You can get a version of the Scout with a more standard scope mount.

They also come in that .376 Steyr round.
    I know you CAN, but what are your thoughts on teh 'scout' style mount - and they don't JUST come in .376, theres &.62 Nato, 5.56, I can't remember them all but theres a couple more in there too....

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

A friend of mine has one. Standard scope rings and a scope wrok just fine on it (3-9x50 is on it now). My only problem was that the skinny little barrel heated up quickly and it didn't shoot tight groups worth a darn - probably 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards. I shot up a box of Federal GMM 168s with it, and was so disgusted I never shot it again. :shock: Went over to the rifle rack, picked up my PSS, and never looked back....
    1976-1980
    2/2 Echo, 2/2 STA, 3/9 STA, SCAMP

Sponsors
    To answer the scout scope mount question:

The forward mounted scopes are great for hunting, they allow you to very quickly pick up moving targets, etc. Its a very natural aiming method and is good for its purpose.

It is not good for tactical shooting where precision is paramount.

I'm builing a scout/hunting rifle right now, built on a turkish mauser action, chambered in 6.5x55 Swede.

MEL

ill take a heavier rifle like the 700P or my Bushmaster Varmitner with the longer barrel that i can shoot better and ill use them for hunting too
    like to use the same rifle for hunting and also like to use all of them for precision shooting

Sponsors
    "The right tool for the job"

No use carrying a 12lb tactical rifle in thicker woods where you will not shoot beyond 150m, scout rifle works wonders in these situations. No one loves their sniper rifles more then me, but I also recognize their limitations. I don't use them for interior home defense either (exterior is another story)

MEL

K2

I have a Steyr and a Savage scout rifle both in .308. They are probably the handiest guns I own. Both are capable of good accuracy (1 MOA or a little better) and the low power scopes still allow me accurate shot placement out to 300yds. The mid-point scope placement is very quick to use and acually makes the rifle better balanced. The backup peep sight on both are pretty good too. For the money, the Savage is the better deal, but good luck finding one. The Steyr is better made and is more accurate, especially for sustained fire. The integral bipod comes in handy too. I also like the fact that I have a spare magazine in the buttstock for a rapid reload in case I'm overrun by feral hogs! If you don't plan on shooting more than the occasional shot beyond 300yds, and the .308 (or .376 Steyr) is adequate for what you plan to shoot at, you'll have a hard time topping the Steyr Scout.

K2

Sponsors
    the savage is once again available through the savage custom shop.

MEL

Quote Originally Posted by mele
    "The right tool for the job"

No use carrying a 12lb tactical rifle in thicker woods where you will not shoot beyond 150m, scout rifle works wonders in these situations. No one loves their sniper rifles more then me, but I also recognize their limitations. I don't use them for interior home defense either (exterior is another story)

MEL
    yep they have thier limitations but in my opinion the weight of my Rem 700P (10-11 lbs) is not one of them im fine with carrying that around
    just being 46" long is a drawback

what about the Rem 700 LTR??? 6" shorter, 1 1/2 lbs lighter and should shoot just as good as the 700P on average i hear even better?
    looks cooler in my opinion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads