6mm Creedmoor build shorty

This is a discussion on 6mm Creedmoor build shorty within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi guys! New to this forum. I am in the process of building a rifle using a Remington 700 action in SA. I just want ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi guys! New to this forum. I am in the process of building a rifle using a Remington 700 action in SA. I just want to use it from anywhere from 600yds and below for target shooting and some hunting. On this build I'll be using a bartlein 6mm in medium palma and will have it cut to 16.5". I will also have the receiver or action trued. This barreled action will also go to a chassis type stock which I am still undecided as to which one to get at this time. But, I am leaning more to getting MDT HS3 or XLR carbon with 15.5" rail. Any input on this build is surely appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Why the short barrel?
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

I read a post where they built a 6.5 CM on a 16.5" barrel and did ballistic testing. From 22" to 16.5" barrel minimal loss of fps like about 150. Thinking might be the same or maybe better with 6mm. I will run it suppressed 100% of the time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rye956 View Post
    I read a post where they built a 6.5 CM on a 16.5" barrel and did ballistic testing. From 22" to 16.5" barrel minimal loss of fps like about 150. Thinking might be the same or maybe better with 6mm. I will run it suppressed 100% of the time.
    With that in mind, how long is your suppressor? 24-26" bbls aren't all that hard to handle so if it were my rifle I'd merely shorten one of those lengths by the length of my suppressor and keep as much length as possible.

Just saying.

Powder selection will be interesting.
    Modest loads of something on the quick side of Varget.

I will eventually have to buy Quick Load for those questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye956 View Post
    Guess if you're never going past 600yds 150fps isn't that big of a deal but I'd love to get 150fps more out of my rig (RPR 6.5 Creedmoor) which equates to another 75 yards of supersonic range.

I just don't see the point in running it that short of it's going to be a range gun. Even with the can on the end. But hey it's your money.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

If short is the goal, DT Covert.
    There are some DT owners here.

Well, I'm really still trying to decide whether to get the barrel cut that short. I'll be running it with TB ultra 7. My thinking is either cut it as short as 16.5, 18.5 or 20". It is somehow an all around rifle. I will also be using it for hunting. Thanks

Like hypo said...if you want a short rifle and a long barrel then look into DT. My 22" barreled DT WITH a 9" thunderbeast is shorter than a 20" Remington 700. Sounds like you appreciate good gear and are willing to spend some money on this build. I would recommend stepping it up one more notch and getting a DT SRS with a 22" or better TS cuscoms 6CM conversion.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads