Making the one mile shot - Page 3

Making the one mile shot

This is a discussion on Making the one mile shot within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by davisj3537 That's awesome. To clarify, when I said "not sure if you got lucky" I meant with the rifle being a good ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Making the one mile shot

Quote Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    That's awesome. To clarify, when I said "not sure if you got lucky" I meant with the rifle being a good shooter, not your shooting skills. Mine was shooting 1-1.5MOA before I swapped barrels and bedded it. It would throw rounds all over and around the 2x3 torso at 1000 before, but it shoots great now.
    That's good. One thing I did was change the trigger. It's set at 2 1/2 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    That's good. One thing I did was change the trigger. It's set at 2 1/2 lbs.
    As did I sir Muzzle brake also seemed to help fill holes in my positioning skills a bit as well.

I went to a very knowledgeable firearms dealer here in Central Texas and talked to them about the Remington 700 XCR tactical. they guy immediately asked me why and showed me the Remington 700 long range. There are a few difference: Stock on the XCR has a higher check comb and a slightly larger grip, the barrel is fluted so it is lighter and it is carbon fiber versus steel it is also coated with what he called a Teflon alternative to prevent corrosion. That said they both have "target barrels" with the same adjustable trigger and the same stainless steel bedding and cloated barrels. Price 699+tax. vs $1,299+tax for the XCR. This is likely going to only be a target gun and won't be carried across mountainsides or exposed to the elements

So I bought it, they didn't have the 300 wim mag in stock so it should be in next week. Hopefully I will be lucky and have a sub MOA barrel and now I can get a better scope or have some money for gunsmithing.

Thanks again for all the great advice, I will post some pics when it comes in.

Also, has anyone ever painted a stock before? I am not a big fan of the black and white marbled look.
    NorCalFocus likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

A few mods for that rifle that you may or may not find useful

Karsten cheek rest Karsten?s Custom Camo

Skim bedding. Do this AFTER you burn that barrel out (1k rounds or so) and have a new match barrel put on and true the action.

Timney 510 trigger as I previously linked. I could never get the trigger that came on that gun to adjust under 4lbs...couldn't adjust it any heavier either.

Good luck man! Above all else, have fun

Just so happens I'm a paint guy, as in I sell paint for a living. When you get the gun and want to paint it, I'll walk you through it.

Good choice on the rifle. Now buy a starter reloading kit with the savings.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

It would be cool to see a video of it.

Yes a 338 lapua is great . but i would also consider and 6.5mm Creedmoor

Ammo for a 6.5 Creedmoor is less then a 338 lapua and recoil is less. because it runs in a 7.62 NATO / .308 cartridge. it can range at 1000 yard + .

Tikka has a new one coming out soon.

6.5 Creedmoor:

Tikka T3x TAC A1
    Ruger Precision Rifle

but if you want to go over 1000+ yards close to 1700+ yards then a 338 lapua will be better

Jordan
    Video blogger / Presenter
    Barefoot Shooter

First of all thank you to everyone that posted. I took all the info and suggestions and put them into action and though it took longer than expected I made the 1 mile shot.

2. Cartridge: I chose the 300 Win Mag.

3. Rifle: I chose the Remington 700 long range. Came with the bull barrel and bedded in aluminium. I added a muzzle brake and adjusted the trigger. Also added larger bolt knob and magazine.

4. Scope: Nightforce Competition 15x55x52. The range on the scope ended up being too good and I had to back off to see my rounds hit. That said the reliability of the elevation and wind age adjustments was amazing. Could dial up and down with extreme precision.

5. Additional:

The scope had 72 moa, but that wasn't enough so I had to buy a 40 MOA base. I got lucky and could zero at 100 yards with the elevation a 0.

Rounds, I still haven't reloaded but have been saving the brass. I used Black Hills 190 grain HP ammo and though with the money spent on that I could have bought a reloader they were very accurate.

I used the Ballistic app to help with the adjustments, it was more less dead on out to 1,000 then it tried to over compensate.

Range, Triple C ranch outside of Fort Worth, great place if you are in the area, goes out to 2,000 yards

Thanks again!

IMG_1977.JPG
    lathoto and Kilerhamilton like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Going long View Post
    First of all thank you to everyone that posted. I took all the info and suggestions and put them into action and though it took longer than expected I made the 1 mile shot.

2. Cartridge: I chose the 300 Win Mag.

3. Rifle: I chose the Remington 700 long range. Came with the bull barrel and bedded in aluminium. I added a muzzle brake and adjusted the trigger. Also added larger bolt knob and magazine.

4. Scope: Nightforce Competition 15x55x52. The range on the scope ended up being too good and I had to back off to see my rounds hit. That said the reliability of the elevation and wind age adjustments was amazing. Could dial up and down with extreme precision.

5. Additional:

The scope had 72 moa, but that wasn't enough so I had to buy a 40 MOA base. I got lucky and could zero at 100 yards with the elevation a 0.

Rounds, I still haven't reloaded but have been saving the brass. I used Black Hills 190 grain HP ammo and though with the money spent on that I could have bought a reloader they were very accurate.

I used the Ballistic app to help with the adjustments, it was more less dead on out to 1,000 then it tried to over compensate.

Range, Triple C ranch outside of Fort Worth, great place if you are in the area, goes out to 2,000 yards

Thanks again!

IMG_1977.JPG
    So many questions...

Did you Chrono your rounds? If what did they come in at?

What was the G7 BC of the bullets you're firing?

Did you updated environmentals when you setup range card, then tested it out to 1000yds?

Martino 1.

1. I procrastinated and never bought a chronograph, but the specs say 2950 FPS Muzzle Velocity
    2. I would have to reference the Ballistics app, not really sure
    3. Surprisingly not at all. Near Austin there is a 1,000 yard range you have to qualify at each distance on the way out, must hit 3 out of 5 times and there are caliber restrictions. Here it is an enormous piece of property and to my knowledge they have no caliber restrictions and no qualifications to advance to the next distance. They do have range marshals to make sure you are safe.

Truthfully I just bought a s*** ton of ammo and walked it out to the 1,800 yard target. After 1,000 there are targets every hundred yards with a red light that lights up after a hit. This was after the first failed attempt when I had to add the 40 moa base. Surprisingly it was not that difficult, once you have the equipment I am sure that any skilled marksman could hit targets beyond 1,000. Once on target I would hit about 50% of the time, which I call a win.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads