Brand new to Precision Shooting, please help me select a rifle!

This is a discussion on Brand new to Precision Shooting, please help me select a rifle! within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi guys, just found out I'm moving up to New York and I can't bring my AR-15 or pistols (initially, at least). With that said, ...

Poll: Precision Rifle for the absolute know-nothing Beginner?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Brand new to Precision Shooting, please help me select a rifle!

Hi guys, just found out I'm moving up to New York and I can't bring my AR-15 or pistols (initially, at least). With that said, looking to continue the shooting hobby and thought a bolt action rifle would be a good course of action. I've done some initial research, and have opened Pandora's box - I'm now in the paralysis by analysis stage. My experience is limited to pistols and carbines, and the only optics I've used are red dots. So as we start this discussion please assume I know nothing.
    I've narrowed down my rifle choices to 5 after searching and consulting with friends. I'm thinking I start with an entry level rifle in 6.5mm Creedmoor along with a .22 LR training rifle so I'm not wasting rounds while I learn the basics.

Philosophy of use:
    1. Learn the fundamentals of long range shooting and working with long range optics. This will primarily be done by attending some long range training classes, followed by me just going to the range and practicing what I learned.
    2. PRS Production Division?

Rifle Budget: $1300 street price (which I've generally found to be an MSRP of $1799).

What is your optic budget?

The Howa or Tikka would be my top choices. Can yo uinvest another $1300 into optics on top of the rifle?
    BigRed502 likes this.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

What is your optic budget?
    MSRP of around $1299. I'd like to stay lower if I can, because I want to get two of the same optic for use on the 6.5 and the 22. I'm new to this, so I think learning the optic and MRAD system will be my biggest sticking point - which is why I want the same reticle on both. If this is crazy please give me a sanity check.
    Last edited by AgentCircus; 10-17-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    The Howa or Tikka would be my top choices. Can yo uinvest another $1300 into optics on top of the rifle?

Yes, I have a couple of friends who have recommended the Vortex PST FFP in 5x25. I don't see a cheap version of this that uses the same reticle though that I could use on the 22 trainer.

Also, just an update: after doing a little more research I ended up ordering a Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I plan on dropping it in a McRee or Masterpiece Arms chassis down the road once I have a better understanding of what features/capability I want in a chassis.

Check out the Burris xtr ii line.

I have an Athlon Helos and for a 22 Trainer it would be sufficient.
    Compare the reticle to the Vortex.
    They are similar Christmas tree style.

https://athlonoptics.com/wp-content/...3456_png12.png

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/...br-2d_mrad.jpg

I've had my.vortex viper
    4- 16x44 for two years now
    And recently bought the
    Helos 8-24 x 50mm
    I personally feel that the athlon
    Scope is much better then vortex.
    Its clear, solid ,
    bright FFP
    with a 20moa base ,
    I have 17mil up.
    Good enought to
    Get me out really far.

The most important feature a scope for a .22 is a parallax adjustment down to 10-25 yards. If you get into NRL .22 matches or other matches you can have targets as close as 8 yards sometimes.

You don't need much more than 15-18 on the top end of power for a .22 either.

Some guys will put the same scope on their trainer as they have on their match rifles. Others will run the same scope just with with a lower power range. So a 5-25 on their match rifle, then a 3-15 on their .22.

If I were buying a tactical scope for a .22 today, I'd get the SWFA 3-15x44 FFP. At $700, it's one of the lower priced scopes that still offers most of the features I want.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentCircus View Post
    MSRP of around $1299. I'd like to stay lower if I can, because I want to get two of the same optic for use on the 6.5 and the 22. I'm new to this, so I think learning the optic and MRAD system will be my biggest sticking point - which is why I want the same reticle on both. If this is crazy please give me a sanity check.
    I would like to call this one crazy. What follows is MY OPINION::

A 6.5CM is a 1500 yard rifle with the 22 is basically a 150 yards rifle--although I would like to point out that "some" use 22LR at 600 yards (mostly downhill).

What (i think) you want is that the reticule in the 22 have the same look as the reticule in the 6.5 CM, and that the controls (dials) have the same look and feel.

Secondly, you want the look through the scope at max distance to be congruent in both rifles. Here, one can take the power (say 15X for 6.5 CM) and divide by 10 (difference in max range) and this will tell you what the max magnification on the 22LR should be. Unfortunately, nobody makes a scope of this lowest Max power (4X being about as low as they go). Even going up to 25X in 6.5 CM still leaves you at 2.5X for the 22 LR.

I did a quick check over at Vortex (makes good scopes) but none of the scopes with low enough power (1-4) have the same reticles as the higher power models in the same named grouping.

Given that the 22 shooting in a shorter arena, you will want something in the 1-4 or 2-6 power end of things while the 6.5CM will want at least 15X on the high end. Many will tell you you NEED more than 15X, I simply say you will need at least 15X.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads