High End AR Build? - Page 2

High End AR Build?

This is a discussion on High End AR Build? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by canuckienns and mike you got it wrong on the components. Oh, you can build them cheaper, but this works very well for ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: High End AR Build?

Quote Originally Posted by canuckienns View Post
    and mike you got it wrong on the components.
    Oh, you can build them cheaper, but this works very well for what it was designed for; shooting 50g v max.

Wrong??? ......
    Last edited by mike.h; 07-12-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    Gunguy308 likes this.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

USAF 1966-1970, SEA 69-70

Not wrong for 50 Gr VMax 52 Gr SMK
    But for that kind of money you need to build a rifle that will reach out to 600 yards
    Heavy varmint 1in12 barrel $300 Wrong twist 1/7 or 1/8
    thread barrel and brake local GS 300 waste of money totally unnecessary. Just get a plain target crown
    Gibbz side charger upper 240 another waste of money. Get a good quality upper receiver like Aero or Spikes for $100
    Lantac enhanced bolt 270 Your killing me. any high quality Mil spec inspected BCG is fine. One of the better ones is Fail Zero, but many high end barrels come with a fitted matched an numbered bolt with them
    lower 100. Yes but get one with a very good name, because your spending good money on this build and a lower that says" Joe the Rag Man " will have poor resale value
    Calvin elite trigger 270. Good, but I would choose a two stage Geiseille, about $75 less, and not the best match for this set up
    PRS gen 3 stock 242. Good choice
    JP adjustable gas block 114 Cheaper big names out there like Wilson,
    JP silent capture spring 130 another big waste of money, You will need a rifle length buffer tube and weight and the best deals is Tubbs flat wire spring
    Ergo handguard (because oversize gas block) 200 Who uses them. Get a round float tube handguard save another $100
    NF unimount 252 Good choice but any good quality cantilever mount will suffice like Leupold or Warne and save another $100. A 20 MOA set up is nice but not necessary.
    NF 8x32 scope 2100 Great scope, what model?? Over kill on an Ar15 223, but the NF SHV 5/20 will get you there for $1200

A little over $4500. A Lot cheaper than that!! Probably knock off at lease $1500 and get the right stuff
    IMHO

I believe the OP question was high end low recoil. And that was my example

I've built a few AR's with 1in 8 twist barrels and they shoot ok. I wanted something better, my farthest kill a couple weeks ago was a little over 400 yards, and I'm looking forward to taking it out farther. I'm sure it's capable of more, I've only had it out on one hunt.

Parts. I have a bunch of the parts you listed, and they are ok. Not too fond of the Tubbs flat wound spring, a little too much noise for my liking. I've built with Aero Precision upper receivers, it's a nice product, and various brands and twists of barrels, gas blocks, hand guards, bolt carriers, etc, all nice stuff, but for this build I wanted something different, a side charger. Don't knock it till you try it.

Yes, there are cheaper barrels, this build has a 22 inch heavy varmint requiring a .936 ID gas block, and requiring an even bigger diameter handguard.

Scopes; I like NF and have a few. Too much? ....maybe for you, but not for 72 years old eyes, I can always dial it back.

This is what is great about America...you build what you want and I'll build what I want.

Peace out brother
    Last edited by mike.h; 07-12-2018 at 10:38 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I agree with you on high end and low recoil. You could fire your beastie off your forehead and not get a head ache.

PS, I have a side charger. I think they are really cool. Been trying to give it away at my cost for a couple of years now. So I scoped it and shot it. Nice. I am surprised you dont see them more often. I an an active NRA range offer.

I believe that a Falkor Defense Caitlyn will fill all of the criteria described, particularly the recoil issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ihasarifle View Post
    I've finally decided that I'm ready to invest in a high end AR 15 chambered in .223 Remington. Factors driving my choices are recoil and factory ammo cost. I want to punch holes in paper at range with high accuracy. I need recommendations and I'd like to get an idea how much I need to spend to really get what I want. I spent $5,000 on Cowboy Action Shooting equipment last year, so I'm not entirely averse to spending some money on a high end build. Please provide whatever advice you can. I appreciate any guidance I can get here. Thanks.
    For barrel, you cant go wrong with shilen. When you order from them they chamber it to desired size with a assigned and numbered bolt that they properly headspace to match that barrel with that bolt. I've built a few using them in 6.5 grendel, 223 wylde and 6.5cm. Used aero precision uppers, lowers, magpul lower kits and on one a geisel trigger group. All of them are sub moa rifles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

check this article; https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-precision-ar15/

They list components and factory built AR's
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Either buy a JP rifle or do as I did and build one using a JP barrel and bolt.
    A JP will typically be chambered in .223 Wylde which will allow you to shoot 5.56 Nato ammo if you wish.
    When it comes to gas guns it's hard to beat a JP barrel.

My favorite rifle is a hybrid. I built it with a Seekins Precision billet upper and lower, bolt carrier group and handguard.
    The 22" barrel (with heat sink), gas block, bolt and captured buffer spring are all JP parts. The trigger is a Geiselle 2 stage national match.
    This rig routinely produces 1/2 moa 5 shot groups with my handloads.
    The total cost of the build was about $2300.

Seekins AR15 2.jpg
    Last edited by tlshores; 07-14-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Update is I tried contact Lone Star Armory on Wednesday and JP Enterprises on Thursday using the contact forms on the websites and no responses. I tried calling Lonestar twice today but the phone is instant busy signal. Reminds me of the time a few years ago that I emailed a builder who gave me his card at a gun show and I never heard back. I've seldom had so much difficulty getting people to take my money.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Ads