High End AR Build? - Page 5

High End AR Build?

This is a discussion on High End AR Build? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm thinking about doing a high end (for me) build using and AR10 Aero Eng upper, lower and a Shilen barrel in 6.5CM. Going to ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: High End AR Build?

I'm thinking about doing a high end (for me) build using and AR10 Aero Eng upper, lower and a Shilen barrel in 6.5CM. Going to use a Gesiele National Match trigger. Anything I need to consider? I'm having a buddy who lives an breaths ARs help me put it all together as this is my first AR build. I'm just looking to see if we're not considering something we should. There seems to be a lot of expertise here and I just wanted to run it by you guys. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by ihasarifle View Post
    I think you are probably right about that. I am looking for a .223 because I tried one, and it was no problem at all. But that was before I had spinal bone removed at the junction of my upper back and neck, and the four vertebra above that fused. I haven't done any shooting at all since that surgery at the end no if last year. I was already having problems from the recoil of my bolt action rifles before the surgery. I don't know if things will be better or worse now, but I'm inclined to do everything I can to minimize recoil and, thus, minimize risk of re injury.
    Then, before you start anything on this project, why don't you just shoot an ordinary AR with a brake on it. If that gets you concerned or the recoil transfer any impact on your spinal cord, you should not be shooting any centerfire. Low mass means lower mass not non-mass. I am pretty sure your doc would agree. Why risk, right?

Quote Originally Posted by gpark09 View Post
    Then, before you start anything on this project, why don't you just shoot an ordinary AR with a brake on it. If that gets you concerned or the recoil transfer any impact on your spinal cord, you should not be shooting any centerfire. Low mass means lower mass not non-mass. I am pretty sure your doc would agree. Why risk, right?
    Are you volunteering to drive to where I live and let me try your AR?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Are you volunteering to drive to where I live and let me try your AR?
    Dang, I would love to live a life that I can just pick up my rifles and drive down to visit you for shoot.

Wait... do you live near LA area?

If I may throw mho in there. 223 and or 5.56 can, like any round be light loaded. My wife has MD and I was worried similarly when I was building her AR. I tested several light loads and found one that barely recoils more than a 22lr. I used 55gr bullet, 20gr h4895 and it was very very easy to shoot. I'm pretty sure you could go down to 19gr and still be fine.. you would probably end up around 1700fps roughly but if all your shooting is paper or small varmints, it should be just fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gpark09 View Post
    Dang, I would love to live a life that I can just pick up my rifles and drive down to visit you for shoot.

Wait... do you live near LA area?
    Sorry. Nope. I'm way over in Dallas TX area. Actually, I was just giving you a hard time. My former black ops sniper boyfriend has almost one of everything that can be fired, including a .223, so I can try his.

Local guy who builds told me that a lot of the expense in high end ARs goes towards shaving weight, and that heavier components that reduce felt recoil are on the lower end of the price scale. So I'm rethinking things right now. A heavy barrel, heavy suppressor, etc. He said the PRS Gen 3 stock is actually very heavy, and so would still be a good option for me still. I may just do a build with his help. We'll see.

I used the PRS gen 3 stock on my heavy barrel AR to help with balance. The PRS offers a lot of adjustment.

Good luck with your build
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

USAF 1966-1970, SEA 69-70

I think you are probably right about that. I am looking for a .223 because I tried one, and it was no problem at all. But that was before I had spinal bone removed at the junction of my upper back and neck, and the four vertebra above that fused. I haven't done any shooting at all since that surgery at the end no if last year. I was already having problems from the recoil of my bolt action rifles before the surgery. I don't know if things will be better or worse now, but I'm inclined to do everything I can to minimize recoil and, thus, minimize risk of re injury.
    Hello ihasarifle. The rifle I described in my earlier post is relatively heavy.
    It weighs 9 lbs 10 oz. without the scope. With my scope and mount it tips the scales at 12 lb 10 oz.
    A rifle this heavy, chambered in .223, AND with a muzzle brake, produces a recoil impulse that's minimal.
    Whatever recoil it produces, I don't even notice it.

I have had surgeries so I understand the post-operative pain and sensitivity that goes with it.
    I don't blame you for being concerned.
    Perhaps you should discuss this with the surgeon.
    That said, I'd be very surprised if your repaired neck is so fragile that you would risk injury by shooting a rifle like mine.
    Sooner or later you're going to get bumped harder than that, just going through the course of normal daily activities.
    Last edited by tlshores; 07-21-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tlshores View Post
    Hello ihasarifle. The rifle I described in my earlier post is relatively heavy.
    It weighs 9 lbs 10 oz. without the scope. With my scope and mount it tips the scales at 12 lb 10 oz.
    A rifle this heavy, chambered in .223, AND with a muzzle brake, produces a recoil impulse that's minimal.
    Whatever recoil it produces, I don't even notice it.

I have had surgeries so I understand the post-operative pain and sensitivity that goes with it.
    I don't blame you for being concerned.
    Perhaps you should discuss this with the surgeon.
    That said, I'd be very surprised if your repaired neck is so fragile that you would risk injury by shooting a rifle like mine.
    Sooner or later you're going to get bumped harder than that, just going through the course of normal daily activities.
    I really like the looks of your build. The grip looks like the ones on my competition 10 meter air pistols.

I can imagine that there is almost no felt recoil from from your heavy rifle with a suppressor and tuned gas block.

My local builder has been trying to dissuade me from investing in branding of parts, saying that the competitors that he works with are perfectly satisfied with BC barrels, Sightron scopes, etc. I don't know enough about it to judge for myself, but I often think about resale value, where branding can matter. I'm not just worried about reinjury. I have daily pain, especially in the evenings, and if rifle target shooting increases that pain, I may be looking to sell the rifle right away. I'm now torn between buying something expensive that can resale easily, versus trying to save money on the build in case I can't tolerate even minimal recoil. My surgeon told me to do whatever I feel up to, so no real restrictions other than what I can tolerate.

At he moment, my local builder is asking me to select between a $200 BC barrel, a $250 YHM barrel, and a $300 FN barrel. The only things I know about these barrels are what I found online, and I couldn't find BC at all. FN mentions some QC that they do, so maybe they are worth the extra? Any ideas about these barrels?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Ads