High End AR Build?

High End AR Build?

This is a discussion on High End AR Build? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I've finally decided that I'm ready to invest in a high end AR 15 chambered in .223 Remington. Factors driving my choices are recoil and ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: High End AR Build?

High End AR Build?

I've finally decided that I'm ready to invest in a high end AR 15 chambered in .223 Remington. Factors driving my choices are recoil and factory ammo cost. I want to punch holes in paper at range with high accuracy. I need recommendations and I'd like to get an idea how much I need to spend to really get what I want. I spent $5,000 on Cowboy Action Shooting equipment last year, so I'm not entirely averse to spending some money on a high end build. Please provide whatever advice you can. I appreciate any guidance I can get here. Thanks.

Well your not adverse to spending money, but choose .223 due to cost?

How far do you want to shoot this rifle?

The 3 main things to focus on for an AR build is the barrel, a matching bolt, and a high end trigger. The rest is just fluff.
    Tape likes this.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

What is you definition of high accuracy? What is your definition of range? Depending on how you define it you are not likely to see "high" accuracy with the cheap .223 ammo you are considering. Good .223 ammo costs nearly as much as good other ammo. Depending on what you define as "range" .223 might not get there, at least not accurately.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Do you really want to know....

Heavy varmint 1in12 barrel $300
    thread barrel and brake local GS 300
    Gibbz side charger upper 240
    Lantac enhanced bolt 270
    lower 100
    Calvin elite trigger 270
    PRS gen 3 stock 242
    JP adjustable gas block 114
    JP silent capture spring 130
    Ergo handguard (because oversize gas block) 200
    NF unimount 252
    NF 8x32 scope 2100

A little over $4500.

smacks those little varmints out to 400 yards with ease.

now lets talk about ammo and reloading........
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

USAF 1966-1970, SEA 69-70

There are a lot of good points to consider here but if you do want to stick with the .223, I would suggest getting the rifle chambered in .223 Wylde rather than .223 Remington. You still have the small accuracy increase of the .223 Rem, but you are able to shoot 5.56 Nato out of it as well (best of both worlds). I do have a very good deal on a Christensen CA-15 if you would be interested. It is guaranteed to shoot sub MOA. That would be my suggestion.
    CA-15 Recon

Thanks for the replies. My choice of .223 is mostly driven by recoil. I’m to the point I can’t tolerate much recoil anymore. I just had a bunch of back and neck surgery, and though I’m cleared to no restrictions now, I’m really just looking to enjoy some target shooting without risking a recurrence of loss of feeling in my arms. My local range tops out at 300 yards, so nothing too demanding. Perhaps the easiest thing for me to do is purchase a ready made package, like the TX15 Designated Marksman Light Enhanced which is currently priced at $3,203.94. It has guaranteed 1/2 MOA accuracy and I live in DFW where the builder is located, so there could potentially be a convenience factor. Are there any other things I should consider before purchasing this one?

For 300 yards .223 works fine. FOr anything further, I'd consider something else like .224 Valkyrie or 22 Grendal. But the factory ammo options on those are limited.

If you do stick to .223 I would run good target ammo with a 68-75 grain bullet. A 1:8 twist 18-20" barrel in a heavy profile.

If I was to build another carbine right now here's what I would do.
    Aero Precision Receiver Set
    Aero Precision Handguard
    Luth AR Buttstock
    Magpul Grip
    White Oak Barrel/gas block/tube in above specs
    White Oak BCG
    Trigger Tech Drop in Trigger
    3ish-18ish FFP scope
    drift likes this.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

JP Enterprises, would be another to look at if you are looking to get a great rifle built.

Barrel, bolt, trigger, excellent optics. I build these on a regularly basis. I shoot Ar 15's at 600 yards (like tomorrow). I have found that you need heavier bullets. Sierra Match Kings 77 Grain do well. 1/7 or 1/8. You can purchase all the best rifle components for around $1500. The scope and mount can run you around the same.

and mike you got it wrong on the components.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Ads