6.5mm vs 6mm Creedmoor

6.5mm vs 6mm Creedmoor

This is a discussion on 6.5mm vs 6mm Creedmoor within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm in a quandary. In going to grab two new rifles for July gun of the month, mostly because I don't think I'll have time ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Apollo117
  • 1 Post By EuroOptic
  • 1 Post By ddd oo7

Thread: 6.5mm vs 6mm Creedmoor

6.5mm vs 6mm Creedmoor

I'm in a quandary. In going to grab two new rifles for July gun of the month, mostly because I don't think I'll have time to pick one up in August. I have decided on a 6.5 Grendel already, but for the other, I am in a toss up between a howa 6.5 creedmoor and the Ruger precision 6mm creedmoor. I have a 243 win, so, I'm thinking the 6 might be somewhat redundant, but then having the 6.5 in Grendel and creedmoor might be just as redundant. I'm looking at this primarily in a caliber perspective. I don't really want to get into the specifics of the rifles, just caliber perspective. I know the 6.5 would be cheaper to shoot, but that's only one perspective and that can change given that there 6 is getting more popular as the days go on. Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

First, what's the purpose of these rifles? Hunting, or target shooting? Is the 6.5 Grendel you're considering an AR-15? If so, I suggest 6.5 Creedmore to complement. If you reload then the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.5 Creedmore, because they could share bullets up to 120 grains. That's the max grain bullet a Grendel can handle.

IMO, the 6 Creedmore won't do anything the .243 can't do. It's just harder to find ammo and components for. If you are looking at the 6 Creedmore for something different, then get a Smith to ream your .243 to .243 AI.
    drift and Martino1 like this.

That's the kind of response I was looking for. These are target only rifles.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I would include that ammo prices are only going to get better for the 6.5CM now that SOCOM has adopted it. The army is also still considering it for their replacement of the .308 to my knowledge. If they adopt it, then pricing and availability will be similar to the .308 in my estimation.
    drift likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EuroOptic View Post
    I would include that ammo prices are only going to get better for the 6.5CM now that SOCOM has adopted it. The army is also still considering it for their replacement of the .308 to my knowledge. If they adopt it, then pricing and availability will be similar to the .308 in my estimation.
    It’s interesting, I think 6.5CM prices for quality ammo is actually pretty darn fair already. The only thing the Creedmoor doesn’t have a lot of is cheap practice ammo for a semi. Which if adopted by the military, would take care of that. But I wouldn’t budget on it. As a matter a fact, I’ll eat my shorts if the switch. I mean the CM is miles better than .308, but it’s not let’s buy all new weapons better.

Anyway, I agree with Appolo17. The 6.5 would be a Great compliment. The 6 I just can’t understand. It does nothing that much better than the .243. But then the .243 did nothing better than the 6mm Remington and ... well who’s heard of the 6mm Remington lol?

Well, you guys are pretty much repeating most of the ramblings that have been going on in my head. I'm not as seasoned as many of you all when it comes down to the multitude of calibers. I'll be ordering up the 6.5 and leave the 6 for on the shelf. Thanks for the thoughts guys, appreciate it !

6.5 cm doesn't actually preform much better than the 260 remington
    6 cm doesn't actually preform much better than the 243 remington

yet the creedmoor's are easier to load for due to the geometry of the case. they have wider nodes than the outdated 260 and 243.

FWIW, I have a 22 cm barrel for my DT that I am waiting on dies for. Should be a lot of fun!

Now...instead of buying MORE guns, why not save up and buy something better quality. Something like a full custom from TS customs or a Desert Tech with custom barrel? I would rather have one really nice gun than 5 so/so guns. If you buy the DT and get the "cartridge bug", all you have to buy is new barrel, and maybe mags/bolt. Same chassis, same optic and can be changed in under 60 seconds.

If you would like to discuss the differences between 6.5 cm, 6 cm, and 22 cm from someone who has worn barrels out with all three rounds, then go over to gunhive.com and talk to orkan. He will steer you right.
    Martino1 likes this.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    6.5 cm doesn't actually preform much better than the 260 remington
    6 cm doesn't actually preform much better than the 243 remington

yet the creedmoor's are easier to load for due to the geometry of the case. they have wider nodes than the outdated 260 and 243.

FWIW, I have a 22 cm barrel for my DT that I am waiting on dies for. Should be a lot of fun!

Now...instead of buying MORE guns, why not save up and buy something better quality. Something like a full custom from TS customs or a Desert Tech with custom barrel? I would rather have one really nice gun than 5 so/so guns. If you buy the DT and get the "cartridge bug", all you have to buy is new barrel, and maybe mags/bolt. Same chassis, same optic and can be changed in under 60 seconds.

If you would like to discuss the differences between 6.5 cm, 6 cm, and 22 cm from someone who has worn barrels out with all three rounds, then go over to gunhive.com and talk to orkan. He will steer you right.
    The super nice rifle idea is one that has a couple complications - the biggest one is that I am not the only one shooting most of my rifles (another story in itself).

I'll go bend Orkan's ear. It'll take a little to get past the initial bombardment of #h$_& input, but I know he means well. Is he not running around this forum these days?

He is not typically here...but is on gunhive daily.

I have always been very respectful with Orkan and never gotten anything but respect. Orkan will tell you how it is though and many people don’t like the cold hard truth. I appreciate it...even when it hurts my feelings a little bit. The truth will save me time and money in the future.

If you want the truth from someone who has been there...Orkan can provide that. Very few others here have shot enough of both calibers to give you a definitive answer beyond what they have heard others say.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    IMO, the 6 Creedmore won't do anything the .243 can't do. It's just harder to find ammo and components for. If you are looking at the 6 Creedmore for something different, then get a Smith to ream your .243 to .243 AI.
    Actually the 6mm Creedmoor is easier to find match ammo for and the components are just as easy as you use the same bullets, powder and primers as the .243 and 6 Creed brass is available and you can also use 6.5 brass and a quick neck down. Also 6mm Creedmoor rifles are twisted right for long range where .243s are usually slow twists of 9-12 so you can't use heavier higher BC match bullets.

OP the 6.5 Creedmoor is the better choice if you have a .243 already that is set up for long range. If yours is a slow twist .243 then the 6 Creed wouldn't be a bad choice if you wanted to keep all 6mms.

Ads