First rifle: Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 Win 26-inch Heavy Barrel?

This is a discussion on First rifle: Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 Win 26-inch Heavy Barrel? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am knew to firearms in general (I'm from germany and they aren very common their) but recently found i have a passion for long ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First rifle: Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 Win 26-inch Heavy Barrel?

I am knew to firearms in general (I'm from germany and they aren very common their) but recently found i have a passion for long range shooting. After going out with friends shooting a couple ar`s and shooting at a couple gun ranges i want to buy my own rifle. I read around on the internet and am looking to buy a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 Win with the 26-inch Heavy Barrel for just under 500$(grabagun.com/rem-700-sps-vrmnt-308win-26-hb-blk.html). But before i make the purchase because of my lack in knowledge i wanted to ask if this really would be a good choice.

Also i was wondering what kind of scope i should get i have a gun range at an hour distance that goes up to 1000 yards but would be nice if i can use it at my local gun range that only goes out 100 yards... i know that is a huge span and i will not start out shooting 1000 yards but i would like to work my way up to it. Is their a way to put two scopes on the rifle or would it be easier to exchange the scopes? or is their evan one that would work over that span? i will not be using the rifle for hunting.

I am very knew to this so some questions may seem obvious, but any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated!
    Thanks Lenny

It would probably help a lot to state a couple more things like:

What your (max) budget limit might be?

How often do you plan on shooting (and like number of rounds over a particular period of time)?

How much precision do you expect to achieve (this typically being tied closely to one's budget)?

Any plans on firing match grade ammo or eventually doing any reloading?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny1 View Post
    I am knew to firearms in general (I'm from germany and they aren very common their) but recently found i have a passion for long range shooting. After going out with friends shooting a couple ar`s and shooting at a couple gun ranges i want to buy my own rifle. I read around on the internet and am looking to buy a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 Win with the 26-inch Heavy Barrel for just under 500$(grabagun.com/rem-700-sps-vrmnt-308win-26-hb-blk.html). But before i make the purchase because of my lack in knowledge i wanted to ask if this really would be a good choice.

Also i was wondering what kind of scope i should get i have a gun range at an hour distance that goes up to 1000 yards but would be nice if i can use it at my local gun range that only goes out 100 yards... i know that is a huge span and i will not start out shooting 1000 yards but i would like to work my way up to it. Is their a way to put two scopes on the rifle or would it be easier to exchange the scopes? or is their evan one that would work over that span? i will not be using the rifle for hunting.

I am very knew to this so some questions may seem obvious, but any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated!
    Thanks Lenny

If you would like precision shooting and plan to shoot out to at least a 1000 yards, I would recommend two things. First look into getting a 6.5 Creedmoor over the .308. Second, if at all possible, increase your budget for the rifle to around $1000. You can get some very accurate rifles at that price point. You will thank yourself for saving up a little more money down the road.
    You can certainly shoot at 100 yards and 1000 yards with one scope. You just need to get at least a medium quality scope.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

The 700 SPS Varmint 5-6 years ago was the base rifle to get. You then upgraded the stock, trigger, bolt knob, magazine system, all to the tune of $1200ish. Today you can buy a Ruger Precision Rifle, Howa Bravo, Tikka Tacticals, all right in that $1000 range. You have a rifle out of the box that is optics ready and you can start hitting steel at distance in a few range trips.
    mike.h and samnev like this.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

I agree with NorCal Focus. I started out with a r700 a few years ago and did all the mods mentioned, it's a great shooter. Right now I'm pretty fond of the Tikka's, very smooth action and a decent trigger.

And while the .308 is a very reliable work horse the 6.5 CM is making a name for itself. Better ballistics with a little less recoil, plenty of 3rd party parts and lots of factory ammo.

Also plan on spending some bucks on a decent scope. Everybody has their favorites, .... I'm partial to NF. But you need to look through them yourself and choose a reticle that you like.

Good Luck and have fun.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

USAF 1966-1970, SEA 69-70

I agree with the advice given, but I think you are smart to go with the M700.
    You can pick one up for a really cheap price, but I wouldn't go with the .308
    Get a .243 and you will get much better ballistics for long range shooting.
    Put a Timney trigger in for about $150 and you are set.

Take the money you save on the rifle toward the best glass you can afford.
    A Vortex PST would be an inexpensive but respectable scope but if you can afford better, do it.

The rifle will be decent right out of the box and can be upgraded to a very capable target rifle.
    These upgrades can be done as time and money permit.
    My .308 M700 was a 1 MOA rifle that became a 1/2 MOA gun with a chassis, Timney trigger, blueprinted action and Krieger barrel chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I'm not as experienced as other members here, but I have not had good luck with my Remingtons. I bought an .308 SPS AAC-SD as my first rifle about a year ago, and had a really hard time getting it to group tighter than 1.5"

Since I was new to the sport, I thought it was a technique issue rather than a rifle problem, but after shooting several friends' rifles I decided I was going to make some changes. I sold that rifle and bought a used rifle based on a PT&G action. Now I'm shooting .5" groups on the regular.

A couple months ago I picked up another 700 in .223, and the same story repeated itself. I tried all weights of bullets, seating depths, and powders but I could not get it to shoot <1". Maybe my standards are too high. Anyway, I sold that rifle and bought a Howa 1500 .223 and it is a tack driver.
    NorCalFocus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    The 700 SPS Varmint 5-6 years ago was the base rifle to get. You then upgraded the stock, trigger, bolt knob, magazine system, all to the tune of $1200ish. Today you can buy a Ruger Precision Rifle, Howa Bravo, Tikka Tacticals, all right in that $1000 range. You have a rifle out of the box that is optics ready and you can start hitting steel at distance in a few range trips.
    Thant's the route I would go but in 6.5 CM

Good choice, and .308 is just fine for long range. There is no magic wall that stops the .308 from hitting anything you want as far as you want. It will also make you a better shooter if you learn or start with .308. Still the most complete caliber all around, if you shoot and I mean shoot, not 500 rds a year. If you shoot or plan to shoot a lot, .308 will go thousands of rounds before you need to rebarrel it and it's something you won't have to worry about. Any good shooter can take a .308 to a mile, but you have to load for it. I do agree on saving a little more and going with something like a Tikka, they're excellent rifles. Good luck!

I think your proposed rifle is a pretty good option, depending on what you want to do with it. As NorCal said, the SPS Varmint was THE go-to rifle a few years ago. People have been really down on Remington over the last few years, but at least part of that is the number of rifles they sell. A normal SPS should be under 1 MOA, which is plenty for a beginning shooter. The SPS Varmint will be a rifle that you can start to practice with and has the widest availability of upgrade options if you decide to upgrade this rifle instead of move to something nicer in a few years.

As for 308, especially on this forum people seem to really hate it. 6.5 Creedmore IS ballistically superior, no question. That said, there are many experts that still advocate starting with 308. As a military instructor I’m one of them. Long range shooting is about reading wind and understanding bullet drop. There seems to be a perception, especially among armchair shooters, that the new crop of chamberings, i.e. the Creedmores and a couple others, are immune from external ballistics. The only thing that’s true for is a laser, but we aren’t there yet. The fact that a 308 will be more susceptible to wind and drop faster just means you use the appropriate techniques to compensate for it. Most western militaries and law enforcement have been successfully using 308 for decades and still do. Is it ideal? No. Why do they do it?

In short, 308 is so popular there’s no secrets left in shooting it, loading it and there is an increasingly range of ammo, bullets and components for it. This is huge if you start doing long range shooting as reloading is almost inevitable if you get more than a passing interest in it. In my opinion the 308 is by far the best caliber to learn to reload on as the amount of info out there on reloading for it is staggering. These are all good things for a beginner. Once you shoot a bit more and see what your true interests are you can look for what you really want in a more expensive rifle...be that a 6 or 6.5 Creedmore, 260 Remington, 300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua, whatever.

As for your question on scopes, no, you can’t put 2 scopes (at least rifle scopes) on a rifle. The good news is that you don’t need to. Almost all the modern scopes that are suitable for long range shooting are adjustable magnification. The Viper HS-T 6-24 is a ~$550 scope that is of moderate quality that can get you started for long range. You can adjust down for closer ranges, up for longer ones. That said, especially in the long range game, all the suggestions about glass being worth its weight in gold are correct. I would far rather see a new shooter put a $1500 scope on a $500 rifle than put a $500 scope on a $1500 rifle. Good glass can be switched to a new gun as your interests and skills develop, while you may go through several guns in the life of one scope.

I hope this helps. I’m sure some others will chime in with other valuable input!
    straightshooter1 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads