Remington 700 MLR .338 Lapua Mag

This is a discussion on Remington 700 MLR .338 Lapua Mag within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello Folks: I am in the market to purchase a .338 Lapua Mag rifle, I am looking at a Remington 700 MLR NIB, any thoughts ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Basque1
  • 1 Post By Basque1

Thread: Remington 700 MLR .338 Lapua Mag

Hello Folks:
    I am in the market to purchase a .338 Lapua Mag rifle, I am looking at a Remington 700 MLR NIB, any thoughts on this gun? I am using this for long range target shooting. I am not inclined to do any competitive shooting at this time so extreme MOA is not an issue. Anyone who has any experience with is rifle please share your thoughts. I read an old thread of a fellow moaning about this rifle so i don't know if this was a one time incident or just him ranting about it.
    thanks
    Last edited by Basque1; 11-25-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Are you set on buying the gun and looking for verification or are you open to suggestions?

What are your goals with this rifle? Hunting? Long range precision? Steel? Paper? Distances?

What experience do you have with shooting? Precision shooting?
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

I am pretty set but if you have a better suggestion I will consider it. One thing is I am not enamored of the Ruger or the Savage. I enjoy long range shooting, not in to extreme precision shooting. Love metallic silhouette. Might consider it for big game hunting, I don't mind the weight of this rifle at all. Used to my Rigby416 and a Mauser 375 H&H.
    I have quite a bit of shooting experience, former NRA instructor for pistol, rifle and shotgun. NYS Hunting safety instructor. Used to do a lot of pistol match shooting. NRA Life member also.
    Not a newby for all intents and purposes. Just like to hear opinions about this rifle.
    Tks
    Last edited by Basque1; 11-25-2018 at 03:58 PM.
    ddd oo7 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Thing is, the Remington action (like the savage) really isn’t large enough for the 338LM. I would go with an action designed for the 338 if that was the route I was taking. I personally like the desert tech as it has change barrels and can be suited to most calibers from 308 to 338 LM.

If you are wanting this rifle for long range target shooting, then there are much better calibers for the job. I wanted a 338LM, but I had a much more experienced shooter point out to me that the ballistics on the 338LM are quite lacking in comparison. I ended up going with a 7LRM which is a smaller bullet, but is super sonic for longer distances and has much better trajectory than the 338LM. There are many other calibers that will do the same or better than the 338 on a much cheaper per shot cost.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Ok I hear, my only reply would be that the police and some military are using this gun already and haven't heard much negative. I don't know the desert tech I will have to look into that one. I do not reload so the 7 LRM is not in my bucket list I am aware of the cost of Lapua. Luckily I have a lodge brother who reloads his Lapua and he can set me up very well. I was thinking about the CZ 550 action but by the time I am done building that one is over $2K. I limited myself to $1600.00. I think I know the Desert Tech it look a bit like the Ruger Precision. Yes, not really inclined to that type of hi-tech gun, but thanks for that suggestion though.
    My biggest concern is the Remington reliability in this caliber.

If you can’t afford $2K+ for a rifle, then you can’t afford to shoot the 338LM enough to get proficient at it...reloading buddy or not. Long range precision is not a cheap game. ELR rounds such as the 338LM are even more expensive to shoot. Couple that with buying cheap gear to start with and having to re-buy quality stuff later and it is going to be even more expensive.

However if you are only shooting a hundred rounds a year or so then it really won’t matter.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

[QUOTE=ddd oo7;694786]If you can’t afford $2K+ for a rifle, then you can’t afford to shoot the 338LM enough to get proficient at it...reloading buddy or not. Long range precision is not a cheap game. ELR rounds such as the 338LM are even more expensive to shoot. Couple that with buying cheap gear to start with and having to re-buy quality stuff later and it is going to be even more expensive.

However if you are only shooting a hundred rounds a year or so then it really won’t matter.[/QUOTE
    Oh I can afford more than $2K I just don't want to spend that amount of money for a rifle that I will not shoot as often as I shoot my other guns. It is just a limit that I have placed myself on this purchase. I think I am going a different route and I am considering a 300 WM will see what happens. Thanks for your thoughts Bud!
    chris.marfia likes this.

Ads