Is a Remington 700 still the starter rifle to get?

This is a discussion on Is a Remington 700 still the starter rifle to get? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Now, I realize this might sound like a dumb question, but please bear with me here. I'm not really a bolt gun guy. I pretty ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lorran
  • 1 Post By t0xicsymph0ny

Thread: Is a Remington 700 still the starter rifle to get?

Now, I realize this might sound like a dumb question, but please bear with me here.

I'm not really a bolt gun guy. I pretty much only shoot for 2-Gun/IPSC competition and self-defense, so I've never had a reason to own one before. But recently, I've become interested in long range and possibly PRS competitions, and maybe hunting now that I've moved to an area where it's much more permissible, so I think it's time to buy my first bolt gun (in .308)

My first thought, as the title implies, was a Remington 700. Just seems like the original go-to choice, American classic, near infinite aftermarket and options, reasonable price Etc. Kind of the 10/22 of bolt guns - or so I've been led to believe. (And, admittedly I'm kind of interested in building a military-style "clone" at some point - either an M24, or an M40 A1 - so having the base rifle for that has a certain appeal to me; but that's a different topic entirely)

On the other hand, I know that over the last decade or so, Remington, as a subsidiary of Freedom Group, has had serious quality and design problems across their entire firearms lineup. From the once-great 870 turning into a piece of s**t, to the (multiple) failures of the R51, and so on.

So has this crappiness crept into their boltgun line? Are the newer 700s facing similar problems, pieces of s**t, and no longer worth it? Are they still good guns, but not up to the old standard? Or are they just as good as ever? What's the dealio. Essentially, I'm looking for a gun that is decent right out of the gate, that I can potentially upgrade over time, without having to drop some ridiculous sum up front, into something that involves with my shooting skill.

(And seriously, I'm not trying to set anyone off or step on any toes/forum rules here so I hope people don't take this the wrong way. Just an inexperienced guy trying to learn, and get some honest answers)
    mp1970 likes this.

It was for me, The Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD 308 was my first bolt rifle purchased back in 2017. It shoots dead on and I couldn't be happier.
    IZuJ7ki.jpg
    AOkXXAz.jpg
    Last edited by Intervention; 05-26-2019 at 08:24 AM.

IMO. Newer Remingtons are not so great. Sure you can spend the coin to make it what it should be or just buy a Browning Xbolt. Or consider a Savage, a lot of people give Savage sh*t but I have two (a 30-06 model 111, and a 22-250 model 110) both shoot sub Moa groups at 100 yards.
    Kilerhamilton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by t0xicsymph0ny View Post
    IMO. Newer Remingtons are not so great. Sure you can spend the coin to make it what it should be or just buy a Browning Xbolt. Or consider a Savage, a lot of people give Savage sh*t but I have two (a 30-06 model 111, and a 22-250 model 110) both shoot sub Moa groups at 100 yards.
    Had very good luck with my Remington 700 LR at 1,000 yards and out.

I have a few Remington 700's. They are shooters for sure, but if you want to try PRS look at the Bergara BMP. My wife picked one up in .308 and with the MPA muzzle break its like a .223, I changed out the grip and added the break. Factory trigger is surprisingly good. I believe its set to 2.8lbs. I have added a picture of a group shot duing load development. This is not even the powder charge I went with.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gunguy308; 06-03-2019 at 09:09 AM.

I started out with a Rem 700P in 308. I was able to load half MOA rounds. Once I wore out the barrel. I replaced everything except the action and honestly, I wish I went with a custom action. That 700 action now has a 6.5CM Bartlien barrel in a MPA Chassis with a Gen II Razor on top that shoots sub .5 MOA easy.. I'm the limiting factor.

I got bit by the bug and now I have 4 customs. Had I had the benefit of hindsight, I would have gone with the custom out of the gate and not wasted my time on the 700P. If you are considering shooting PRS, attend a few matches and check out their equipment. I doubt you'll find many factory rifles used by the top shooters. Custom rifles tend to to be more forgiving regarding ammo and the lighter adjustable triggers definately tightened my groups.
    Last edited by Martino1; 05-26-2019 at 07:08 PM.

I just picked up a Remington 700 SPS tactical in.223 and love it except for one thing. After my first session with it , I gave it a thorough cleaning and am having soft primer strikes since. I'm noticing a small gap between the bolt and the firing pin ( I don't know what the end cap is called) . So that's my gripe about the 700

I started out with a R700 in .308. I fought with it for almost 2 years to try and get a decent group with it before selling it and going the custom route. If you don't want to go full custom I would highly recommend looking at a Howa. I recommended one for a starter bolt gun for my brother and am very impressed with everything about it. Easily shoots 1/2 moa with factory ammo and I've worked up loads that will so sub 1/4 moa at 100 yards.

This is the exact package I would recommend for anybody thinking about getting started in long range/ PRS that doesn't want to spend the money to go full custom. You could probably find it cheaper than this if you shop around, or save a little if you buy the barreled action and chassis separately and piece them together.

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/r...rod115730.aspx

I have found that the Remington quality decline has stretched into their Bolt guns along with everything else. My suggestion if you would like to get a great quality rifle and still stay in the same action group is to purchase a Bergara. They have great accuracy and the price is right. They use a Rem 700 footprint action and the barrels are just incredibly good. In particular, I would suggest this rifle as a great option to get you started.
    https://www.eurooptic.com/Bergara-B-...utm_medium=KJP
    They have the adjustability to be used as a target rifle and a hunting rifle. They make a great hybrid rifle at an excellent price point. It would certainly hold its own if you wanted to try and use it for starting out in some PRS matches. However if you find yourself really getting invested in PRS, you will probably want to get a different rifle and I would suggest a different caliber as well. But to start out with, this would be a great option.

I would suggest looking at Savage. They have a large line of rifles and every one I have tried except the Axis have been outstanding. One thing I like is the ability to change barrels in the field to a whole different caliber if you like. You may also have to change the bolt head, but you can with one pin. You can at least do it at home. When you shoot out the first barrel which is usually very good quality, you have a choice of many competition grade barrels you can change out without the big expense of a gunsmith who must have the right equipment and reamers, not to mention the time involved. You can even get a Shilen that was developed for Bergara. Savage, except for Axis (not AxisII) has a great line of triggers on factory rifles, They don't need a whole lot of aftermarket stuff, but it's there if you need it. I also have a Howa 1500 .308 with a custom stock and it shoots fantastic, but the aftermarket is slim. I have owned a lot of 700s from their beginning and Remington has innovated a lot in the industry, but it seems that they are lagging compared to a lot of the competition now Just an old man's thoughts on the evolving worl of guns.

Ads