Rem 700 bolt handle?

Rem 700 bolt handle?

This is a discussion on Rem 700 bolt handle? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I've been going through some of my guns that are just taking up space and noticed that there is a difference in Remington bolt handles. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Rem 700 bolt handle?

Rem 700 bolt handle?

I've been going through some of my guns that are just taking up space and noticed that there is a difference in Remington bolt handles. They look tiny compared to most of my other rifles. I have become a fan of Savage rifles for off the rack best all around features. It seems to me that many manufacturers have simply painted their stocks black to join the current "tactical" fad. I can get numerous styles of bolt handles off the rack to replace my Savage bolt handles. Most of them came with big long bolt handles, nice adjustable triggers, and great barrels. My better savages come blueprinted from the factory, or so they claim. I think their results may tend to go along with that. I started shooting the 700 in various calibers in the early 60's and liked their new gun. Now 60 years later, the 700 is basically unchanged except for cosmetics or economy. I thought that one of the reasons for the larger bolt handles was to facilitate the ease of use for the guys in the black and cam suits with gloves. Has anyone checked on the price of changing a 700 to a different bolt handle? The price of machining a receiver is as much a rifle and the trigger usually has to be replaced with a better one. To me, a black stock does not make a gun. I know there are a lot of 700 purists out there like I once was, but why doesn't the 700 keep up? I'm sure that there are exceptions, but savage for the price seems to be the rule. Just another old man observation.
    mudpig likes this.

I used Badger Ordnance for a new bolt handle $98, fast and quality work.

https://www.badgerordnance.com/services.html

il5DK53.jpg

That's exactly what I was talking about. All but one of my savages have "tactical" bolt handles from the factory. I checked out a $7500 M24 at my dealer since I posted above, and sure enough it has the dinky bolt handle. I guess one size really does fit all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

The Rem 700 Magpul edition has the tactical bolt knob. As to the M24, I'm sure its that way due to it being a clone (unless someone got a real one from the military) and the contract with Remington dose not list a bigger knob.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gunguy308 View Post
    The Rem 700 Magpul edition has the tactical bolt knob. As to the M24, I'm sure its that way due to it being a clone (unless someone got a real one from the military) and the contract with Remington dose not list a bigger knob.

I'm not sure what the magpul edition is, but most 700s have the stubby bolt handle. I stated that it was a M24. Remington got them from the military and put them back to spec with original spare parts. The first ones included deployment cases and accessories and scope. That is why a real one with everything would cost $7500. I haven't seen a clone with Remington M24 stamped on the left side of the receiver either. Back to my original subject, why doesn't Remington evolve upward. I won't even start on the trigger. When I am wearing gloves in the winter, I won't take a rifle without a suitable bolt handle to the field. The trend to larger more complex ocular ends leave less and less space between the handle and the scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewerystill View Post
    I'm not sure what the magpul edition is, but most 700s have the stubby bolt handle. I stated that it was a M24. Remington got them from the military and put them back to spec with original spare parts. The first ones included deployment cases and accessories and scope. That is why a real one with everything would cost $7500. I haven't seen a clone with Remington M24 stamped on the left side of the receiver either. Back to my original subject, why doesn't Remington evolve upward. I won't even start on the trigger. When I am wearing gloves in the winter, I won't take a rifle without a suitable bolt handle to the field. The trend to larger more complex ocular ends leave less and less space between the handle and the scope.
    The magpul edition is just that, a rem 700 with a magpul stock, but the extended bilt handle.

Nice looking gun. Probably designed by Magpul to their specs to use their name. They know better than to put their name on a bad design. What about the trigger? Is it a stock Remington? Please don't think that I'm on you case. I'm just stating my observations. I've been shooting Remington 700s since thy came out. I have a 1969 30-06 BDL. It has a fine wood stock, a beautiful shiny blue job, and the action is slick as owl ___. They built quality and innovation for their time. I just feel that I have moved on with manufacturers who care.

Im not sure why they do what they do. My friend just bought a 700 in 6.5 and aside from the tiny bolt knob, not so slick action and cheap stock it is accurate as can be. Plus this might just be for 6.5 or it could be them coming around I shot 140gr hand loaded bullets that can be mag fed and are .030 of lands out of it. Also it has under 100rnds and I put a nice tiny clover leaf on paper.

As far as bolt I just threaded my own and have been pleased with it. Plenty of clearance on big scope and a lot smoother bolt cycle than factory

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Just took some pics of a 700 M24. Note the long action.[ATTACH=CONFIG]28090[/ATTACH
    IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intervention likes this.

Sponsors
    Do keep in mind that you can actually buy a brand new M24, not even the military turn in rifles. The price is not cheap (over $8500 for a complete kit), but if you have to have one and want it new...they are available. Just a bit of history. When the US Army did the original contract with Remington for the initial 5000 or so rifles, there was a clause that prevented remington from selling them to the public or LE, etc. But then when that contract was completed and the Army signed the 2nd contract with remmy, that stipulation was not in there, so Remmy started offering them for sale...of course, you will not see them on their commercial sales list...but they are available. And expensive. This all happened before the military turn in rifles that they rebarreled and sold to the public. We did a full review on one of the collector edition rifles here:

Remington M24 Collectors Edition - Full Review - Sniper Central

We actually have a brand new M24 we picked up about 5 years ago as well. But it is still new and unfired

MEL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads