Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

.308 long range package.

6K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  optimista 
#1 · (Edited)
I am not new to rifle shooting , but definitely new to longer distance rifle shooting . All my rifle shooting experience is up to 200 yards.
I am thinking about putting together a longer range package and need all the advice I can get from experienced long range shooters .

Here is my criteria :

Caliber .308 ( 168/175 match)

Rifle has to be bolt action and factory production . ( no custom jobs)

Scope : 30mm and standard production rings and mounts

So basically nothing custom , just something I can go and buy.

THANK YOU .

#4 ·
Why 308?
Why not custom?
Why 30mm?

Each of these is a very limiting factor. When stacked together they really compound.

The big question has already been asked: What is your budget?

#7 · (Edited)
So the 6.5 Creedmoor uses the same case as the 308 and is effective to 1500 yards where the 308 hits the wall at 1000. Why would you go with 308? You can even buy a barrel in 308 and make no other changes if you want to switch back and forth. The 6.5 is ballistically superior in every way and it's everywhere. All major sniper teams have switched over to it.The military has always known that the 308 is barely able to reach 1000. That's what they use 300 Win Mag and the Lapua. How far do you want to shoot when you say long range?

#9 ·
If I understand your post, 308 168gr Federal GMM will not get you to 1000. I tried the 168 and the round petered out at around 800yds. I had no trouble with 175's. BTW I have seen some threads that suggest that the new .308 200gr Sierra Match King might extend the 1000 yard wall. My range I shoot at is a 1000 yd range so I haven't had issues with the wall as it were. I do know that with my 308 175SMK 43.2 grains of IMR 4064, Lapua brass, I got about 2685 FPS measured by Magnetospeed Chrono, I got to 1000 with 10.2 mils elevation, my 6.5CM gets there with 8.4mil. I can use my tree with the 6.5CM, I have to crank elevation for the 308.

As another respondent to your post indicated, what is your definition of Long Dist? A 308 with the right bullet will get you there and with the new sierra bullet maybe a bit more but IMHO the 6.5 will get you further with less recoil.
I'm going to chime in with the superiority of the 6.5 round over the 308.

#12 ·
Sooo if you want to be cool and poke the holes in the paper go with “gimmicky” and “popular” 6.5 CM.
However, If you want the knock down power, penetration coupled with the ammo availability when the times are rough go with proven 308.

Remember this; the 308 will do everything the 6.5cm does, only with just a little bit more work. Don’t be lazy and learn how to operate your gear and you will be fine with the 308.

#13 ·
There are a lot of untrue statements in the above post. Some truth, but much not true.

Have you even run the energy comparison between 308 and 6.5 cm?

#15 ·
I'm a new guy around here, so take it for what it's worth. Just saying "beyond 200 yrds" is kind of wide open. What do you think is your maximum distance? For me, walking to a paper target I've been shooting at 500 yards, could take awhile. Gun, and especially barrel manufacturing has come a long way, lots of guns are very accurate that you can buy over the counter. But they may not be precision 1000+ yrd guns. Lots of reasonably priced package guns available that will shoot out a few hundred yards in .308 but unless you are invested in .308 you might consider 6.5 creedmore. I read up on the drop of factory rounds, within your selected distance limit, and see what you can live with. Enjoy in good health.

#17 · (Edited)
My recipe for 175SMK stayed supersonic just a hair above 1K. I've read about guys loading their 308Win's with 200+grain bullets and extending the supersonic range. Admittedly, I haven't experimented with extra heavy bullets for the 308 because I swopped LD focus over to the 6.5CM. My Mil holds for 1K were 10.5 mil for my 175 SMK 308 load and 8.4 mils for my 6.5CM pushing a 140 Berger Hybrid Target.

It appears that new life is being pumped into the old reliable 308 with these heavy bullets. I personally like to shoot my 308 with 175's. I have 3 precision 6.5CM's and 2 precision 308's. My gut tells me all things being equal, if you are pushing a 200+gr bullet, you are going to have more recoil even with a brake or a can on the end of your barrel. I don't expect this to be a big difference but if you are shooting PRS style shoots there might be a slight recoil difference. If you look at what the Pros are using in PRS style shoots very few are shooting 308Win. Check out what serious competitors use in a December 2018 article in the Precision Rifle Blog.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/14/rifle-caliber/

Don't get me wrong I like the 308 but technology in cartridge design has progressed since the 308 was introduced in the 1950's. 308's still a great overall round but things like subtle changes in case shoulder angles have been found to increase the efficiency of a round. I believe that if you dig into the specs, you'll find the 6.5CM to edge out the 308 in some key categories. While the 308 ammo is fairly available, 6.5CM is showing up on more and more retailers shelves. Just my .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.