Rebarrel a browning x bolt?

This is a discussion on Rebarrel a browning x bolt? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I have a browning stainless stalker in 300 wsm with less than 200 rounds through it topped with a Leupold vx-5 hd. I’m trying to ...

I have a browning stainless stalker in 300 wsm with less than 200 rounds through it topped with a Leupold vx-5 hd.

I’m trying to take it out to moderately long range (800 or so yards) but I’m having an issue with it playing the bullets after the barrel heats up.

For example today I shot the first 3 rounds sub MOA at 100 yards the the next 7 shots were 1.5-2 inches high and Walked left to right about 1/2 inch each shot.

Wondering if this is a barrel issue (2 different shooters, same results) and if so do smiths even rebarrel Browning’s? I’ve heard they don’t like to mess with them.

I like to put a carbon fiber/wrapped barrel on it if any one even makes them for this gun.

I do not reload and was shooting a quality round (Barnes TTSX 150 gr)

A point in the right direction would be appreciated.

I can't give you an apples to apples response, but I have a BLR with a thin barrel, as well. It groups sub-moa well after three rounds, but it will start getting funky getting closer to double digits.

The x bolts are made in long range versions with a tad bit heavier barrel, but I think there are better options than browning if you plan on doing much more than just hunting.

I would think any capable smith would spin up a new barrel for you. In the mean time double check to make sure that the barrel is not making contact with the stock(free floated).

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I agree with Mudpig. I would check to see if the barrel touches anywhere first for sure.
    Let us know what you figure out mate

I made a horrible mistake and bought a Browning X-Bolt Max long range.Making a long story short that rifle shot awful,a 18th century British brown bess shot better. Anyhow it's been re-bedded and last time I shot it,it was deer rifle accurate. I traded it in ,took a big loss. But now I have a Bergara Premier series rifle,(wasn't cheap) but first trip to the local rifle range and it surpassed Bergaras "Sub MOA guarantee ,factory and my handloads both produced 1/2 MOA at 100yds.

Ads