What's it worth? M86 Sniper Rifle

This is a discussion on What's it worth? M86 Sniper Rifle within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I just received this M86 rifle as a SECNAV trophy rifle. The Navy typically awards M1 Garands, but this is what they are calling a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By USNCPO

Thread: What's it worth? M86 Sniper Rifle

I just received this M86 rifle as a SECNAV trophy rifle. The Navy typically awards M1 Garands, but this is what they are calling a "grade A" trophy rifle. I've tried looking them up, but seems quite rare as I haven't been able to find one for sale. Looks like this is one of six the Navy is awarding

Rifle comes with paperwork showing it was presented to me, bipod, pelican case, dope book, and shot log showing it's fired 668 rounds between 93, 94, and 97.

It's chambered in 300 win mag, and also interesting fact, I thought the Barrel was swapped at some point, but talked to another guy that got one and his has a stainless barrel as well that was just painted black (according to the scrap on it that shows the stainless barrel below paint).

also, anything I should know about this rifle specifically? any known issues etc? image1.jpegimage2.jpeg

Try posting the pics on m14forum.com those old coots’ knowledge of rifle histories is amazing. They may even be able to track down the previous shooters.

Be sure to check the forum for rules re: “what’s it worth questions”. I don’t remember what they are but worse case you’ll likely learn a lot about the rifle’s history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try looking up Scott Duff on the net and reaching out to him. He specializes in Marshal Arms. I won 9 SECNAV Trophy Rifles M1 Garands myself while competing on the U.S. Navy Marksmanship Team. I sold all of them through Scott and got top dollar. When the Smithsonian Institution wants to know about these rifles they call Scott (not literally, just making a point). If he does not know he can direct you were to look. A super knowledgeable man and nice to speak with about these rifles . He's written a few books on them.
    mtstream likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

M-86 was a socom rifle built by Harris gun works in the 80s and 90s.
    Last edited by tarheel7734; 09-02-2019 at 08:33 AM.

Ads