Looking to put together a hunting rig

This is a discussion on Looking to put together a hunting rig within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi guys, I am new to the forum and I have been planning a replacement hunting rifle for a Remington 700 that was stolen from ...

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and I have been planning a replacement hunting rifle for a Remington 700 that was stolen from me a few years ago that my dad bought me.
    Anyway, I'm not looking for another 700, since my interests in milsurps have turned away from Mosins and towards Mausers, I have been eyeing either an M77 or possibly a Winchester Model 70. Probably .308 so I can keep my ammo selection down. Looking at having a controlled feed with a big Mauser style claw extractor.
    For a scope I was thinking of a Swarovski Z3 scope for it.

I do not hunt, this is just a gun I would like to have if invited, and I would like to 1 very nice hunting gun, as opposed to 3-4 decent ones.

Opinions on guns? I am pretty set on the optic, and would like a wood stock, lightweight, and accurate.
    Also I have considered the Bergara Timber line to go with my other Bergara, but it is not controlled feed. Also have considered maybe a Tikka or others.
    Opinions?

What is your budget for barreled action and stock?

What kind of game are you looking for.

Are you going to fly to your hunting area. I ask this since weapons go missing thanks to our, “security” at airports. I have custom rigs that I take when I drive to my hunting grounds. Yes you can ship to a gun shop if flying the area you’re hunt but the one I’m willing to risk losing via air travel is my HOWA 1500 in 30-06. I’ve got a Gen II PST 5 X 25 on top. It shoots factory Fusion 150’s more accurately than you’d expect. It’s not expensive and IMO it’s every bit a shooter as the old Rem 700’s.
    My.02.
    Last edited by Martino1; 09-27-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martino1 View Post
    What is your budget for barreled action and stock?

What kind of game are you looking for.

Are you going to fly to your hunting area. I ask this since weapons go missing thanks to our, “security” at airports. I have custom rigs that I take when I drive to my hunting grounds. Yes you can ship to a gun shop if flying the area you’re hunt but the one I’m willing to risk losing is my HOWA 1500 in 30-06. I’ve got a Gen II PST 5 X 25 on top. It shoots factory Fusion 150’s more accurately than you’d expect. It’s not expensive and IMO it’s every bit a shooter as the old Rem 700’s.
    My.02.
    Should have addressed that.
    Budget will be sub 1k, probably around 7-900
    No I do not plan to fly to a hunting area, all hunting would be here in AR, which is mainly white tail deer.
    Big this is I want a nice classic style rifle, super clear scope and a wood stock. No synthetics, magazines, threaded barrel, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

This is a forum that is dedicated to long distance shooting for the most part. Many of the shooters here look to push their weapon's effective ranges to their limits. Few precision weapon systems have natural material stocks, most are composite or metal.

One thing to note regarding wood is that while very beautiful, it can be affected more by environmental influences. Given that is not a concern, it sounds like your are looking for a used older Remington 700.

I just recently picked up a nice 700 in 7MM mag for $500 from a private individual. I knew the owner and the weapon was lightly used.

There have been some questions about Remington's current offerings in your budget range which is why I suggest you consider a used weapon.

If you don't have a bore scope and know what to look for as far as wear and tear, it might be worth it to take a candidate you wish to consider to a smith for evaluation. My Howa has a synthetic furniture and I don't have any experience with any of their traditional wood offerings if they have any. I don't have any experience with Tikka or Bergara Timber line. The rifles I shoot most these days are customs.
    Last edited by Martino1; 09-27-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Ads