What Remington 700 Model to start with?

This is a discussion on What Remington 700 Model to start with? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi everyone just joined the forum hoping to get some good advice. So I want to pick up a Remington 700 preferably in 300 win ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What Remington 700 Model to start with?

Hi everyone just joined the forum hoping to get some good advice.

So I want to pick up a Remington 700 preferably in 300 win mag but I am also still considering 308. I want to see what people thought the best model of the Remington 700 would be good to buy to start practicing long range shooting and as a rifle for big game hunting (Mostly Elk). My budget isn't crazy trying to stay as far under a thousand for the base rifle as I can while still getting a good quality rifle. I guess what I am asking is what model would everyone say is the best bang for the buck.

Remington 700 5R. Good starting point. Replace the stock and trigger. You’ll be around $1500

I found a 700p with 5r rifling for 700 should I pull the trigger and buy it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

went ahead and picked it up

Good. Replace the stock and trigger. I’d recommend an aluminum chassis so you don’t have to get it bedded.

If you're going to elk hunt with this rifle I do not suggest a chassis. Instead find an aftermarket stock that weighs around 2 pounds. Something like a B&C Alaskan II. Most people do not enjoy carrying a 10+ pound rifle while hiking elk terrain. Try to keep the total weight (rifle, ammo, and optics) less than 10 pounds.

Look at Trigger Tech for an aftermarket trigger.
    Raymond Balducci likes this.

Aluminum chassis are light. The XLR chassis is very light.
    Raymond Balducci likes this.

D701E0D0-5592-43EE-B56E-D59B673E6095_1571767177714.png

Weighs 2 lbs

The B&C Alaskan 2 weighs 2.7 lbs.

I’ve owned an xlr on a 300 win mag. They are very light and don’t require bedding for maximum performance

Hi. I recomend you to see the XCR Long Range Tactical in 300WM. The trigger can be regulated without disassembling. It have already the aluminum bedding. But it is small heavy for hunting.
    For long-range shooting, I would change the caliber to 6.5CM.

My 700-5r came with an HS Precision stock, aluminum bedding block , double palm swell, beaver tail forearm. I have had it about 5 years. It’s in 300 WM. I bedded the recoil lug and the first 1.5 inches of barrel (ahead of lug) myself. I love the stock. I did replace the X-Mark trigger with a Timney Calvin Elite set at 2.5 lbs. I shoot a Hornady 200 grain ELDX at 2900 FPS. I only shoot 3 shot groups and typically measure 0.3 to 0.5 MOA, although I have had a few groups less than 1 caliber (0.22). Unless you just want a chassis I can’t imagine liking a stock better than the HS model that came with my 5r.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads