700 Rem PS for varmints?

700 Rem PS for varmints?

This is a discussion on 700 Rem PS for varmints? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Folks, Please comment on the suitability of the Remington 700Police Sniper for long range varmint duty when using 110Gr bullets. I have not measured the ...

700 Rem PS for varmints?

Folks,

Please comment on the suitability of the Remington 700Police Sniper for long range varmint duty when using 110Gr bullets. I have not measured the rate of twist, but the rifle is in as-new condition, without modification.

Regards!

I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be excellent.

.308's with 110's are insane on larger varmints like coyotes and groundhogs at modest distances but it really loses it after about 400yrds if you're using .30carb RNSP or half-jacket 110's. Velocities up around 3300fps are totally doable. If you use pointy bullets like Varmageddons the BC is a little higher and they carry the fun further. On cottontail rabbits, squirrels and sage rats they're not really that fun because the critter doesn't 'splode dramatically like they do with a smaller more fragile bullet moving faster. With too small a critter you just end up with a bloody furry hole in the ground. Now you can also take .30 Tokarev 85gr bullets and get those up to even higher velocities (think 3500fps). Jackets on the tok bullets are fairly tough but it can easily cause bullets to disintegrate right out of the muzzle so it's a kind of try it and see game.

I used 110gr .30Carb bullets for a good while on my metallic silhouette .308. Cut recoil a TON and was plenty to go out to the turkeys but couldn't take down the rams with them. After about 500-600yrds with anything high velocity + light bullet + bad BC you'll just find that it's no fun anymore.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I was getting 3400fps with a 110gr v-max out of a 24" barrel, 1-11.25twist. Accuracy left something to be desired at about MOA, but I only tried one powder.

Ads