I'm new, advice on new rifle - Page 2

I'm new, advice on new rifle

This is a discussion on I'm new, advice on new rifle within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Lol, probably. I'm wanting an accurate 700 pretty bad right now....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I'm new, advice on new rifle

Lol, probably. I'm wanting an accurate 700 pretty bad right now.

I occasionally get lucky and shoot a clover leaf 3 shot group , but most are about 3/4 "-1". I shoot off of a sand bag up front and a sand sock in the rear. Nothing earth shattering or impressive by most people's standards but I'm happy with it. It's my do it all rifle from hunting to target shooting. I shoot 168gr A-maxes over 41.6 gr of 4064.

Neither

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    Hi guys. Just joined up. I enjoy shooting behind my house in rural Ohio. I be got out to about 500, but mostly shoot 100yds. I built a bench and all. So far, I've been a Savage guy. My #10 tactical type (fcp?), Drives nails! Anyway, wanna try a Remmy 700 in 308. I'm between a 700p ltr and a 5r. 20". Any recommendations? Basically same rifle, I think?
    Neither, Remington isn't what it used to be. Look at their recent history. Tiki or a Bergara B14 HMR.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Martino1,

I'm going to hafta look into that. I've pushed several hundred 338LM thru my savage 110 LE and sooner or later the groups will open and the problem will be the rifle and not me.

. Any recommendations? Basically same rifle, I think?

Quote Originally Posted by tonytoshiba View Post
    Martino1,

I'm going to hafta look into that. I've pushed several hundred 338LM thru my savage 110 LE and sooner or later the groups will open and the problem will be the rifle and not me.
    You’re burning somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 grains of powder if you’re using Retumbo or similar powder every time you send a round down range. If you load your own, you may be able to load them long and chase the lands and eeck out a few more rounds out of that barrel. Hopefully you’re not already pushing mag length for your accurate load now. Also SMKs seem to be forgiving with long throats due to attorney involvement in the rifle design process or burned out lands due to high round count. When my 308 barrel got tired, I probably could have loaded them long and still get some addional rounds out of the barrel if I didn’t mind single loading. The truth is I didn’t care to. I had illusions of placing well in PRS shoots in my area. That action got a 6.5CM barrel that’s a sweet shooter.
    Last edited by Martino1; 01-14-2020 at 01:23 PM.

Bought a 700 off here recently and have fallen in love. Straight shooter, nice weight and smooth action. I'm looking at swapping out for a tactical stock but I reckon it's definitely the go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads