Won’t sell me a Remington ? - Page 2

Won’t sell me a Remington ?

This is a discussion on Won’t sell me a Remington ? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Most of the custom rifles used in competition have surgeon actions that are clones of the Remington action. There’s nothing wrong with the Remington action, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Won’t sell me a Remington ?

Most of the custom rifles used in competition have surgeon actions that are clones of the Remington action. There’s nothing wrong with the Remington action, nothing better, just different. Remington 700 barrels aren’t trying to compete with the $1000 match grade barrels out there. You can always add one. Same with the Remington 700 stick versus a competition chassis.

The lawsuit against Remington, which resulted in the recall, is about the trigger and the way it works with the safety. Some really damning memos came out during discovery that proved Remington went forward with an unsafe design over the objections of their main engineer. They didn’t want to spend the money to make it safe. We put in for the recall on our Remingtons quite awhile ago, but they don’t seem to be doing anything while they appeal the ruling, I guess. We finally sold them both in November, but we have competition level gear now, so the Remingtons weren’t getting any use.

At this stage, in a high caliber bolt gun, I would consider a Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR) to be the least expensive rifle I’d buy. But I’m spoiled, and I compete, and you don’t really need those features for hunting. And if you do compete, barrels in the competition calibers (6mm or 6.5 mm creedmoor, etc) have to be replaced every 1500 rounds or so (at about $1000 a pop), compared to 8000 rounds for a .308 or .223. The RPR barrel is hammer forged and Ruger will replace it for $415 last I checked. Bergara costs a little more than an RPR, and barrel replacements will be in the $1000 range, I think. I’d spend a little more on a Tikka, personally. But I’ve already gone full custom, and I don’t have experience on any of those competition models except the RPR.

Long story short, it’s your money. Get what you want.

Remington rifles are junk??? Utter nonsense. The Rem 700 is still one the most accurate out of the box rifle you will find.

rsb
    Quote Originally Posted by STM11B-B4 View Post
    Remington rifles are junk??? Utter nonsense. The Rem 700 is still one the most accurate out of the box rifle you will find.
    Let's do a headcount, how many competitors use a Remington 700? Zero. And those who insist in a Remington 700, why is there so much discussion on accurizing these?

That should give you an idea how on well the Remington 700 is regarded.
    Martino1 likes this.
    Retired US Army Scout
    Wanabe precision long range shooter

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rokko View Post
    I recently bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .223. After experimenting with loads, I can consistently shoot well under .5 MOA with it at 100 yards. The only thing was to change the horrendous Remmy Mark X trigger for a Timney trigger that cost less than 100 bucks. It has a very rough finish on the barreled receiver that is not too elegant and an ugly plastic stock (that happens to be very comfortable), but for what I paid it is an amazing shooter.
    Both my Rem 700's are from the 90's and still have the Walker trigger installed which have been adjusted to 2 lbs. Both shoot flawlessly. I have never had an issue with either one. I have heard less than flattering things about the new Mark X trigger. If you ask me, I think Remington bowed to outside pressure and the gun grabbing leftist media and fixed something that was not broken.

Quote Originally Posted by rsb View Post
    Let's do a headcount, how many competitors use a Remington 700? Zero. And those who insist in a Remington 700, why is there so much discussion on accurizing these?

That should give you an idea how on well the Remington 700 is regarded.
    I do, and I bet I have a lot more trophies than you do. The only accurizing I did was to substitute the walnut stock for a B&C fiberglass one because it is more impervious to changes in temperature and humidity and the trigger pull lightened. Below is a grouping I did when I sighted in my new Vortex PST 5-25x50 Gen II and my handloads a couple of weeks ago. My Rem 700 030-06 still has the FACTORY barrel and Walker trigger set to 2 pounds. Can you outshoot this? If not, go back and sit at the card table with the rest of the children and let the adults talk, ok because you have no idea what you are talking about. You might have been a Scout, I but I am a Army Sniper (class 02-94) and I am sure I can shoot circles around you.

30-06 range 2-3-20.jpg
    Last edited by STM11B-B4; Today at 09:38 AM.

Remington rifles are everywhere. Maybe you should widen your search.
    In adversity remember to keep an even mind, train hard and fight easy.
    Horace/Alexander Suvoro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads